Menu

What do you guys think of those mini personal alarms?

sassenach

I'm thinking of getting DD one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Personal-EXTREME-Premium-Portable/dp/B077BVDNMX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513788919&sr=8-3&keywords=personal+alarm

She works into the wee hours of the night on a regular basis and her parking can sometimes be a walk from her house.

Do any of you have experience with these? are they effective? safe?

In one sense, this seems like it would definitely take someone off guard. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that if they had a weapon, they might be surprised into using it. I'm not sure if that's a rational fear or not.

Then the alternative would be what? Pepper spray?

Thoughts?

I used that in college. It is only effective when there were people looking out for me. If it is an isolated area and no one is going to be on the look out, then it is not going to be of much help.

It’s like car alarms, people have unfortunately become desensitized to those. However if the neighborhood watch was on the lookout for car thieves, they would react to car alarms to at least verify if someone's car was hacked/broken into.

• Like 1

I'm going for keychain weapons in the stockings this year. Happy holidays, y'all! 

My dds are just as likely to pepper spray themselves and innocent bystanders as attackers, so that's a no-go. Also, if it doesn't completely incapacitate the attacker, they are going to be pissed. 

I think alarms are better than nothing but not great - people are likely to react slowly, because they hear alarms all the time, and when they do react it's difficult to tell where the sound is coming from. 

So, keychain weapons or other small, handheld weapons meant to be used at close range can be a good choice. She should have her keys out already anyway (and a key does make a pretty good alternative weapon). Basically, you want something that gives her a few seconds to run and scream if grabbed. 

Search terms to get an idea of what's available: keychain weapon, tactical pen weapon, kubaton, pocket stick. 

A small, strong flashlight can also be a very effective handheld weapon, with the added bonus of lighting her way, if she will consistently use it. Keychain weapons are popular because you always have it with you. 

• Like 1

Got DD one for college. Those suckers are loud! I don't think it could ever be mistaken for a car alarm, and it sounds so different I definitely think it would attract attention or scare someone off. It hurts your ears, really!

Edited by goldberry

I'm going for keychain weapons in the stockings this year. Happy holidays, y'all! 

My dds are just as likely to pepper spray themselves and innocent bystanders as attackers, so that's a no-go. Also, if it doesn't completely incapacitate the attacker, they are going to be pissed. 

I think alarms are better than nothing but not great - people are likely to react slowly, because they hear alarms all the time, and when they do react it's difficult to tell where the sound is coming from. 

So, keychain weapons or other small, handheld weapons meant to be used at close range can be a good choice. She should have her keys out already anyway (and a key does make a pretty good alternative weapon). Basically, you want something that gives her a few seconds to run and scream if grabbed. 

Search terms to get an idea of what's available: keychain weapon, tactical pen weapon, kubaton, pocket stick. 

A small, strong flashlight can also be a very effective handheld weapon, with the added bonus of lighting her way, if she will consistently use it. Keychain weapons are popular because you always have it with you.

I like the idea of the keychain weapons. If you bought yours online, do you have a link for them?