Menu

Help me decide! Would you pay $7253.00 to have cable TV installed to your home?

Yep, you read that right! And no, I actually think I can decide this one on my own! In July, I contacted our local cable co to see about having it installed to our home. We live in a rural area with a driveway that is 1/3 mi long. When they came out, they said they would have to run the cable from the road at the end of our driveway back to our house. Yesterday, THREE MONTHS later, I get a letter that said they cost would be $7253.00 just to run the cable down the driveway. "Work will begin when payment is received for the total amount. Please make check payable to...."

Are they kidding? Did they actually think......? What kind of nut.....?

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this! Have a great weekend! I'm off to dig my trench for my cable!

Kim

Yep, you read that right! And no, I actually think I can decide this one on my own! In July, I contacted our local cable co to see about having it installed to our home. We live in a rural area with a driveway that is 1/3 mi long. When they came out, they said they would have to run the cable from the road at the end of our driveway back to our house. Yesterday, THREE MONTHS later, I get a letter that said they cost would be $7253.00 just to run the cable down the driveway. "Work will begin when payment is received for the total amount. Please make check payable to...."

Are they kidding? Did they actually think......? What kind of nut.....?

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this! Have a great weekend! I'm off to dig my trench for my cable!

Kim

I'd be looking into a satellite dish. Even if I had to have some trees taken down to have a "clear view of the southern sky" a dish sounds like it would be cheaper.

Two years ago they finally brought cable out to our road. We were already getting DirectTV (which we have since dropped for $ reasons), and just wanted cable Internet because satellite was too pricey and no DSL here. I called, and we qualified for a $100 installation (hooray!). Dh and I rewired the house to have cable internet in every room, put in a router, and they came out and put it in. Worth every penny!

I'm a part-time computer science professor and shortly after that I was telling my boss about it at work (she lives 5 minutes from me), and she went home and called to see if she could get it too. They called her back with an estimate. I don't remember the exact number, but it was around $15,000. Even with dual income and no kids, she said NO WAY.

My husband works in the industry and we live in a rural area as well - with no high speed cable. We started with Skyblue then switched to DirectLink (which has been faster).

When living in a rural area it just doesn't pay for the company to run miles of cable considering the density of housing. One of the facts of living in rural america!

This is what DirecTV is for. We had a similar problem (in our case the cable was in the ground all the way down the street and to our house but they wouldn't turn it on because we were the only people on the long street). The picture quality is better with satellite too.

"Way back when" in CA when we were pondering rural property we were told it was $1,000 a pole to run power. We dropped the idea quickly of some of the land we were considering!

We are currently the only people getting service off our cable drop - we weren't sure in the Tornado how'd that bode for getting it fixed, but Comcast was the first one to show up (and couldn't do anything until the power co had reset out pole and run their wires).

Do you have power on a pole? Can't they just use that? But the copper wire could be a huge expense right now too.....

I'd be telling them no too! LOL!!!

We do have DirecTv, but we were hit by lightning TWICE in one weekend in early July at the dish. We turned it in to their insurance and had everything repaired at our expense, pending their investigation. Two months later, they denied the claim, despite everything we turned in, including pictures of the damaged dish, stating the installer that came out said he was just here for an equipment upgrade, there was no lightning damage! We even had a statement from our insurance adjuster and pictures showing the original dish that was struck was never grounded. The ground wire was just laying up on the roof. Needless to say, I really wanted to tell them to go jump in the lake! But, trying to watch every penny, I won't even switch to Dish Network because in our area they are more expensive than Direct.

I just really got a good laugh out of that cost from Comcast!

Kim