Menu

Is this weird?

Chris in VA

My daughter has been dating a young man for two years. We know him very well, he has stayed with us, and he will be here again for several days after Xmas. He is in the Air Force.

His family used to live down the street a bit but they are AF too, and moved about a year and a half ago.

Last year, I gave his mom an orchid when he left here (he stayed for several days for New Year's). There was some tension between his parents and him bc they wanted him longer, and I wrote a short note with the orchid, just thanking his mom and telling her I knew it's kinda hard to let adult kids make their own decisions.

Anyway,...

This year I would like to send dd's bf's family a little food gift, like maybe some caramel apples (Mrs. Prindables). I have actually never met them.

So is it weird to do that?

I think it's a really lovely gesture! I'd keep it friendly and light, and probably wouldn't refer this year to any tension you may hear of, since that's between them and their son. You get to just be warm and welcoming with these people who may one day be your dd's inlaws!

Amy

• Like 3

I think it would be very nice to send a gift.

If someone I had not met implying that she knew how I felt about a matter between me and my son, I think I would find it patronizing.  Acknowledging that missing our kids is hard is one thing, but noting that the kid's being with the new family rather then the kid's own family is his decision could seem like rubbing it in.

• Like 1

I think it would be very nice to send a gift.

If someone I had not met implying that she knew how I felt about a matter between me and my son, I think I would find it patronizing.  Acknowledging that missing our kids is hard is one thing, but noting that the kid's being with the new family rather then the kid's own family is his decision could seem like rubbing it in.

I agree it could seem that way. However, I knew how she felt because she said so. While I stayed out of the discussion, I just wanted her to know I get it. 

I had a similar situation and just wanted to empathize mom to mom. 

But thanks for telling me it could have been perceived as patronizing, because I did not think of that. I'm not good at this stuff.