Menu

**deleted***

umsami

This is the best I could find with a short search:

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2013/jan/25/mike-ryan/do-police-automatically-return-guns-someone-after-/

I'm afraid there is not a way to get the guns removed, even with a diagnosis.

I am so sorry you are needing to ask this.

If the gun were in my home I would get rid of it somehow, but in another home there is probably nothing you can do.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Even if there isn't a legal way to require it, you may find that someone (you, authorities, trusted friend, etc.) can gently encourage/help the depressed person to choose to have their firearms kept somewhere else for a time.  Obviously, it may or may not be wise to push this, based on the person's history, so put your own safety first before intervening.

• Like 1

I missed your OP, umsami, but this sounds serious and scary. I hope you are okay and safe. :grouphug:

Remember that the most important thing is keeping yourself and your kids safe. Everything else is secondary, so please don't take any unnecessary chances or put yourself at risk.

• Like 1

Also based only on the replies, I have the following info:

When my grandfather (an abusive alcoholic) began showing signs of Alzheimer's, my dad had his mother find some pretext to get his father out of the house, and my dad went in and removed the firing pins from every single weapon. He never noticed.

This could be a good idea IF it would not be noticed (person of concern does not regularly go to a range or some such) AND if the person carrying it out were certain there would be no retaliation if/when discovered. Edited by maize
  • Like 1

This could be a good idea IF it would not be noticed (person of concern does not regularly go to a range of some such) AND if the person carrying it out were certain there would be no retaliation if/when discovered.

Yes, it really only works in certain particular situations.  This was a man who never hunted or shot anymore, but still wanted guns in the house, "just in case".  Add to that dementia, and it was a plan that made us all sleep better at night, even if it wasn't perfect.  

• Like 2