Menu

What do your kids do when they are done with their work for the day?

For some reason we have been very efficient in our schoolwork this year and have been finishing up early. My kids are usually done with their work by 1:00 or 1:30. I give them quite a bit to do so I don't think that is the problem.

They also have daily chores that they finish every day. They read quite a bit during school time so I don't want to add anymore required reading to their day.

During the spring and early fall my ds usually has activities to keep him busy in the early afternoon/evening but now football and baseball are over until spring. Other than that they aren't in any organized activities except for bowling league on Saturdays. When the weather is nice they will usually play outside but when it is rainy they can't.

My dd (13) has gotten to the age where she is quite content to just hang our in her room, write in her journal. My ds on the other hand is very bored. His sister used to play with him after school but anymore she would rather do her own thing.

I will occasionally spend time with ds playing a game, etc. but that time of the day I usually need to finish my housework, get dinner ready, pick up my other dd from school or just "me" time like reading.

I'm trying to figure out some activity that ds can do on his own. He isn't into crafts and doesn't enjoy doing things like Legos. Any suggestions?

My kids are into photography, archery, bb gun shooting, airsoft, making videos, legos, making books, computer games, drawing, reading, walk the dog, building/playing in the fort, play piano/guitar etc. My younger 3 play together a lot. They love free time when they aren't doing school or going to activities.

My older one does a lot of school. When he finally has free time he reads, practices soccer moves, plays his instruments, computer gaming, and visits or has friends over.

Ours love Legos, Playmobile, Scrabble, Risk, board games, puzzles, drawing, writing stories, reading, and the occasional computer game. Sometimes they bake brownies or cookies for an afternoon snack...they cook slower than I do, so it keeps them happily busy for an hour or more :) They have chores after school, too. Dishes, laundry, floors, dusting, etc. We have many hands to make quick work of it all, usually in a burst of activity before dinner or a movie. I try to draw the 14 yo daughter out of her bedroom to join the rest of us! I prefer the summer rhythm, too. ah, how I miss the sun and warmth of August

Hmmm. would he read? My ds loves to read and will read for hours after school. He also is writing a fiction book so he'll work on that. He wants to illustrate his book and has several learn to draw books that he'll work in. And sometimes, he watches TV. Of course, he plays out side. He acts out the stories he's writing.

It's so much easier when there's someone to play with, isn't it? Dd usually reads, draws, sews/creates, plays with her dolls, goes outside...Yesterday, she put together her own science kit, packing up her microscope, tweezers, and some other goodies in a purse she sewed, then went outside and gathered things to investigate. She took them into the garage, and wrote out her observations in a tiny journal she has, then she read them all to me. She's learned to entertain herself, because her bro's are 8 and 10 years older than her, and her mom is...tired.

Maybe invite a friend over or go visiting at least once a week?

So part of me says to let him get bored and provide him with plenty of science, practical, and art supplies and lots of books, and let the chips fall where they may.

Carpentry, models, machining, various hobbies--cool hands on stuff to learn. Maybe the handy book for boys would have some ideas?

He definately should have access to an encyclopedia, and encouragement to use it.

If he is pretty extroverted, I would get onto a schedule that includes regular playdates. And at his age, I'm a big proponent of lots of physical activity--running, hiking, sports, etc. Those habits need to be place for his benefit for the rest of his life (that would be me, the total couch potato, talking. I didn't have that, but my DD will).

Its surprising to me, though that your children can handle all their schoolwork so quickly. I wish that my 12 yo DD could!

So part of me says to let him get bored and provide him with plenty of science, practical, and art supplies and lots of books, and let the chips fall where they may.

:iagree: What looks like play here could actually be called school somewhere else. Dd has made dolls today out of scrap fabric. Ds has pulled out a laminated map and colored it with crayons and made a story up about a journey. They have done copy work about dinosaurs on their own and read until the are almost antisocial!!! I actually cannot make dd stop reading. They have sorted toys on their own. Often, they pretend to be people from history and created the costums to go along with it. They have lego, art supplies and magnets that they use and lose!

I think Charlotte Mason calls it "mastery inactivity" and it is good!!!! I think it is a neccessary part of a healthy happy childhood. So, I set them up after a long day of school and walk away. :001_smile:

Mine has outside activities and classes most afternoons that keep him (us) pretty busy. However, in his spare time, he reads, plays some computer games (current favorite: Crazy Machines), builds assorted interesting contraptions with cardboard and string and whatever he can find around the house, plays the piano or organ (not official "practice," just playing for fun), practices his tap dancing, plays with the cats, plays with the kid next door, does assorted crafting (usually making costumes or accessories based on whatever book he's reading), plays with the kid next door, makes and shoots (at targets only) bows and arrows and, when he can talk me into it, watches some TV. He's also (slowly) writing a novel.

How about comic books, kids' sports/fishing magazines, simple cooking or jigsaw puzzles? Does anyone build models anymore? Would he like to build and maintain his own garden?

My ds9 likes to practice his swings hours a day. He has a rebounder and we're talking about getting him a pitching machine this spring. Would your ds like anything like that? My ds also like to read baseball related items in reference books and write down statistics in a notebook as a hobby.

My first thought was to say - DRIVE ME CRAZY, but I thought that wasn't the answer you were looking for. Seriously, they do different things on different days. If it is nice outside, they go out and ride bikes and scooters. If it is cold and rainy, they like to play Club Penguin on the computer. Sometimes they take out the magnetix, wedgits, blocks, etc. Both of my kids will build with anything for quite some time. Sometimes they watch tv. Other days I run errands in the afternoon and they plug along with me. Then there are days were we cook something. I guess we have no routine. It just changes from day to day.

I have one and part of the reason we don't start school early is because of too much afternoon down time.

We start at 10am and are usually done by 2:30. Ds is allowed tv or game time for part of the afternoon. He usually has at least one small chore to do and help me around the house.

We don't have a car during the day otherwise we'd take some small trips. He has learned how to entertain himself fairly well. He'll draw, make ships with legos or magentix, or stage some war which only happens in his mind. :D

I have one and part of the reason we don't start school early is because of too much afternoon down time.

We start at 10am and are usually done by 2:30. Ds is allowed tv or game time for part of the afternoon. He usually has at least one small chore to do and help me around the house.

We don't have a car during the day otherwise we'd take some small trips. He has learned how to entertain himself fairly well. He'll draw, make ships with legos or magentix, or stage some war which only happens in his mind. :D

This sounds a lot like my DS! He also plays outside a lot on his scooter or bicycle, plays basketball, and walks over to my mom's.

Oh, and he reads!

Sounds like time he learned to cook! Perhaps if you divided "cooking" into various areas and promised when he (or the two of you) have mastered one, the two of you would celebrate by going out and eating something fancy from that category. A meal at an ethnic restaurant, the town's best hot chocolate or baklava just to make sure his recipe is better etc, gourmet pizza even. Any highly valued foodstuff you don't usually fit into your budget could make a good reward for mastering that category. If the idea of missing out on such a treat doesn't bring your daughter out of her room, you and your boy deserve the special treat all to yourself!

Rosie