Menu

Do I need to take DD to the doctor for this?

eternalsummer

She washed her hair and conditioned with a newish shampoo (used before, though).  Then she ate coconut milk yogurt and orange/cranberry granola.  Then she came to me and said her face tingled and was numb, and it was quite puffy from looking at her.

She did not have trouble breathing, and nothing felt tingly or numb or itchy inside her mouth - just her eyes, nose, cheeks, and chin.  

I gave a dose of Zyrtec (what we had on hand) and took her to the grocery store for Benadryl (it's on the way to the urgent care/hospital, so I figured if it got worse instead of better after the Zyrtec at least we'd be halfway there).  Reaction diminished by the time we left the grocery store, now is just a bit of tingliness (at this point it is 30 minutes after the first reaction/zyrtec dose).  I have not given the Benadryl.

What would the doctor even do?  She ate like 15 different ingredients right before the numbness started.  I intend to not feed her any of them again (except sugar) and keep Benadryl on hand.  

Do I need to take her in to a pediatrician?

I would go to the pediatrician, ask for an Epinephrine prescription and for a referral to an allergist. Your allergist can narrow down the likely triggers and run tests. Not all positive blood tests will result in an allergic reaction, but it will narrow the focus. The skin test will probably be your best bet on the culprit allergan(s). Most doctors though have told us that the only way to know if your child is allergic is to be exposed to it in real life and have a reaction.

• Like 2

I would check her a few hours after she took the benadryl, as the allergy symptoms can return. Was her throat itchy? If so, more than likely food related.

I would take her to a pediatric allergist (board certified) and have her tested.

If you had gone to urgent care when it happened, she would likely have been given a few days worth of steroids along with benadryl, and a prescription for a )really expensive) epipen, which you are going to need in any case. Subsequent reactions are often more severe.

• Like 2

I would have her see an allergist to both try and pinpoint the culprit AND get an eppie pen for next time since if she is exposed again to whatever it is causing a reaction, the reaction may well be far worse.  She needs to keep that pen handy to use if she ever feels a reaction starting again. Good luck!

• Like 1