Menu

Talk to me about telescopes

hjffkj

Ds almost 9, wants a telescope for Christmas or his bday and I need suggestions on a good starter one. Not a cheap toy. I know nothing about telescopes. I haven't considered price range because I don't know what a good quality starter telescope should cost.

Points for being able to get on Amazon because that is where fil like to shop off of.

We got dd the original Astroscan for her 5th birthday with a couple of extra eyepieces that year for Christmas, and she loved it. (We replaced it with a new 8-inch newtonian- I can't recall the name right now- for her 10th.)They don't make the Astroscan any longer, but they do make something very similar. Check out the Astroscan Millennium on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D12U1IK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507933311&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=orion+telescope&dpPl=1&dpID=41H8mMc-PTL&ref=plSrch

I have heard good things about this one for a start microscope. My stargazing guru friend raves about it and says she likes it sometimes more than her more expensive ones. I haven't used it though.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D12U1IK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507933311&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=orion+telescope&dpPl=1&dpID=41H8mMc-PTL&ref=plSrch

I have heard good things about this one for a start microscope. My stargazing guru friend raves about it and says she likes it sometimes more than her more expensive ones. I haven't used it though.

This is absolutely what I would recommend.  Great telescope.  I have a slightly smaller version (a 4.0) and we love it.  Wished we could have spent just a little more to get the 4.5, though.

eta:  Here is the one we have, minus the tripod (which is really cool ... think I'll look for the tripod to add to mine)  Both this model and the one previously linked are really amazing starter scopes -- definitely not toys.  The 4.5 model is a little better, but both are really good quality.

Edited by amsunshine

IMO "the best bang for the buck" is a Dobsonian telescope. We bought a Celestron Dobsonian for my wife in 1997.  They have a newer Dobsonian model now, with a fancier mount, but I believe you get a much better scope, than if you buy one with a fancy mount and are putting half of your money into the mount. Good luck with what you buy and don't buy a toy.

IMO "the best bang for the buck" is a Dobsonian telescope. We bought a Celestron Dobsonian for my wife in 1997.  They have a newer Dobsonian model now, with a fancier mount, but I believe you get a much better scope, than if you buy one with a fancy mount and are putting half of your money into the mount. Good luck with what you buy and don't buy a toy.

Just to clarify for the OP, the Orions that are linked above are both Dobsonian telescopes.

My advice each time this comes up is to spend the money on a good pair of binoculars first.

He does have a good pair of binoculars and uses them often. It is one of those gifts where I have told him he has to ask for money to go towards it or expect multiple people to go in on it.

The kid also asked for a microscope and we have actually been blessed with a phenomenal free one from my sister who received 2 from her sil who just finished homeschooling her kids.

Dh and I surely can't afford to purchase that for him but some of them could be in his grandparents price range especially since it can be a combined gift as his bday is dec 19th

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GUKTDM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1EQ4K6ZGJPZEA&colid=1VXPBRZYH0XAX

I don't remember all the details, but this is the one we will get when we get one. Not sure if you are looking for one in this price range or not.

That one is so far out of our price range. Thank you for the suggestion though. Maybe farther down the road if his interest continues.

IMO "the best bang for the buck" is a Dobsonian telescope. We bought a Celestron Dobsonian for my wife in 1997. They have a newer Dobsonian model now, with a fancier mount, but I believe you get a much better scope, than if you buy one with a fancy mount and are putting half of your money into the mount. Good luck with what you buy and don't buy a toy.

I agree that the $$ should go into the telescope and not the automated mount. Plans for making a fairly inexpensive Dobsonian mount are widely available. (The "Dobsonian" telescope is just a newtonian telescope on a specific type of mount.) Good luck with your search!

Look on Craigslist! We got the Orion one really cheap a few years ago, and our daughter has loved it!

Yea I've checked out Craigslist just now and it looks like that is the way we'll go if dh and I decide that is what we'll get him or convince him to just ask for money for it. I'm always a fan of used.