Menu

Big Problem: Mom w/ fragrance product illness & teen son laden w/ fragrance products.

Pen

Do you have a neighbor friendly enough to agree that DS can go straight there to shower and change clothes and do laundry before entering your house?  Or a garage he can strip down, wipe down, do laundry and put on a clean robe to dash to the shower and get clean before he grabs a snack or anything?  If it is annoying and awkward each day for him to do this, I bet he either 1. stops putting the stuff on unbeknownst to you at school or 2. stops hugging a girl friend at school if possible ( 1 and 2 presume he would do those things and then fib to you about it. If he knows how sick it makes you, I doubt he would do that) . Although if he has to sit in a chair at a desk another student doused with Old Spice has used, I don't think you can do much. After all, you say his just hugging the dog and the dog then getting on your bed made you bed smell.  So I think he could well be just picking up the smell from being at public school all day.

Home schooling is looking a lot more likely in this scenario.  If he really wants to stay in school, have him brainstorm, too, how to avoid bringing the scents home.

• Like 1

If it isn't the XC practice kids, could he shower BEFORE practice to get the "school" smell off? Then bag those clothes and wear his fresh, sweaty ones home?

It is not some of the XC practice kids, but may include some of them.  I'll ask about shower before, but think there is not enough time between end school and start of practice.  However, he does take off his outer clothes most days leaving a jersey and shorts from underneath. So bagging the outer stuff that came off makes a good start.

That is basically what we did yesterday. Plus that I had a clean set of long pants and hoodie to go over shorts and jersey for car ride.  It was much better.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I hear you.

My DH has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. When he was really bad ( before we modified the whole house and basically excluded ourselves form any social life) I had to change the kids after preschool . they would pick up the scent of other kid's laundry detergent.

When we have visitors, we always try to  sit outside so their scent doesn't contaminate our hose

Right now I am thinking mostly through the short term, of how to manage this week.  But if I describe more about how the house now is, might you be willing to make modification suggestions/  or that versus the separate trailer idea...   or maybe both ...

I don’t care how it’s happening.

My solution is to insist they strip down clothes in the garage/utility entry, put the clothes directly in the washing machine and then head straight to the shower upon entering the house.

The smell of cigarette smoke and some other smells is like biohazard to me. Thankfully my loved ones know this and I usually don’t even have to ask them to do the above. Dh knows if he had a business meeting in a place where people were smoking (not unusual) that he can’t come near me until the contaminates been washed off. Idk what it was about one shop a son worked at a few years ago, but the minute he walked in the house - I would get so nauseated and my eyes would water like I was sobbing. Same procedure solved the problem then too.

This is basically what we did yesterday and it helped hugely.  Unfortunately the washer is currently in basement which is entered via the kitchen, so it is not quite as good as if all could be done in a utility area, but I am thinking about how that might be possible here.

I'd think running some vinegar through the wash will help against any smells in the machine.

Do you take meds form migraines?  Could you take them ahead of picking him up?  In the event you just can't do anything about it at any given time? 

vinegar is a good idea.   I had ds use borax when he ran his load yesterday and I now have a load going with some vinegar.

I do take some meds, but they have some negatives, so I try not to unless I have to. That said, I had had the meds yesterday--once I could keep them down-- and have had them again today.

• Like 1

This is us too. We have air filters and use safe products, and follow specific procedures for visitors. When the kids and I go to church (dh can't attend because of chemical sensitivities and other chronic health issues), we have to shower and change when we get home. My dh can't be in close proximity to me (definitely not share a car ride) until I have showered and changed. 

Perfume manufacturers incorporate specific chemicals that both broadcast scents and make them "cling" to fabric and other surfaces after the person has gone. Second-hand perfume is a real issue for people with chemical sensitivities (and then add to it that kids are spraying at school and it's not even second-hand.) 

If he could shower and change at school or a neighbor's without coming in contact with any scents after, that would be ideal. But barring that, I think wearing a mask, driving with all the windows down, and having him change in the garage and shower immediately is probably the best idea. I'll be interested to hear if the coveralls-type idea helps to make the car ride more tolerable.

So many chemicals go into the products we use every day, and it does affect some people severely. It's definitely a difficult issue, and my heart goes out to you.

I am trying to get tyvek coveralls ordered, will let you know results.  windows open etc. can work now, but not once it is into hard rains type weather.

So, I'll need some better more long term arrangements.

I gather you dh and I have some similar issues with regard to chemical intolerance, probable post or chronic Lyme, maybe CFS. ???

I can try and suggest house modifications, but it has been my experience that every single person with MCS has differing tolerances, differing things they react to and differing reactions, making it very difficult to offer advice.

What we did was rip up all the chip board type sub flooring and replace all the floors in the house with hardwood. Get rid of the gas stove in the kitchen. Purpose build a bedroom for dh that has windows on 3 sides and has hardly any furniture in it. Buy a very expensive organic cotton inner spring mattress. Limit social activities to almos zero including having to leave our church. All these things have built up dh's resistance up so he can now function with small exposures to triggers.

• Like 1

I can try and suggest house modifications, but it has been my experience that every single person with MCS has differing tolerances, differing things they react to and differing reactions, making it very difficult to offer advice.

What we did was rip up all the chip board type sub flooring and replace all the floors in the house with hardwood. Get rid of the gas stove in the kitchen. Purpose build a bedroom for dh that has windows on 3 sides and has hardly any furniture in it. Buy a very expensive organic cotton inner spring mattress. Limit social activities to almos zero including having to leave our church. All these things have built up dh's resistance up so he can now function with small exposures to triggers.

:0(

This is so hard.  Mercy.

Do you have a front loader?   

Every now and then I do an additional full normal cycle with just vinegar in the soap dish, and no soap.  
I only do it when it is good for the clothes, but it is good for the washer too.   It cleans out the soap build-up that can make the washer stinky.   Not something you'd want to do everyday though

• Like 3

I gather you dh and I have some similar issues with regard to chemical intolerance, probable post or chronic Lyme, maybe CFS. ???

Yes, my dh has chronic lyme that went undiagnosed at least 15 years, possibly 22 when looking at his medical history. He was disabled in 2000. I wrote Invisible Illness, Visible God about our journey and how God has brought us through. 

• Like 1

I already got a house that meets a lot of this sort of thing.  Very old. From before chipboard days.  All electric.  And we do have organic cotton futons etc.

Issues in general now are trying to make some modernization improvements--like a dishwasher--that would make life easier.

And then with regard to this current problem with ds, specifically how to work things so that things are manageable and do not result in losing the house as livable by me.

And we really need better ways to be able to get together with others. Currently it is almost entirely just in summer time out of doors.  So very likely if something were fixed up toward helping with ds and his fragrance issue, the same thing might provide a place where there'd be an indoor area to be able to meet other people without contaminating the house.  Not if all we do is set up a changing area on the back porch and plastic bags for clothes

But maybe something like an older trailer could give the basic guts of not only someplace where ds could go to change and shower, but also maybe where guests could be visited with.

This could also stop the issues of it being totally his own space where trouble would be the likely result of a teen boy with his very own space.  

which I do think could be an issue.

Do you have a front loader?   

Every now and then I do an additional full normal cycle with just vinegar in the soap dish, and no soap.  

I only do it when it is good for the clothes, but it is good for the washer too.   It cleans out the soap build-up that can make the washer stinky.   Not something you'd want to do everyday though

yes its an FL.

Something like this will filter them out of your house. This is the cheapest one, but the outer filter becomes saturated and you have to change the whole thing, the $1,000 version from my other companies with separate filters is a better deal in the long run if it works and helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JUQ1IG?psc=1&smid=A11X99NTDQPUM7

You can buy a $20 respirator mask for the drive in the winter, one designed for painting. A pain but they work well. The pink ones are almost cute, hardware stores sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-07192-Paint-Spray-Medium/dp/B0002STR22/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507246430&sr=8-5&keywords=Paint+mask

Edited by ElizabethB

Something like this will filter them out of your house. This is the cheapest one, but the outer filter becomes saturated and you have to change the whole thing, the $1,000 version from my other companies with separate filters is a better deal in the long run if it works and helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JUQ1IG?psc=1&smid=A11X99NTDQPUM7

You can buy a $20 respirator mask for the drive in the winter, one designed for painting. A pain but they work well. The pink ones are almost cute, hardware stores sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-07192-Paint-Spray-Medium/dp/B0002STR22/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507246430&sr=8-5&keywords=Paint+mask

I have an air filter, but it is insufficient. So possibly adding another would help a lot. What are the ones that you mean are better?  And do you mean that once a filter is saturated this whole over $600 filter is done for?  

However, a filter won't help with things that are sat on, touched etc.  Even where chairs had covers, it is going to take me a while to catch up on trying to launder them.  

But I had forgotten that I also have a filter that can run off a car power outlet, which is currently in house, but I can move it out to help with when windows cannot be opened.  So this was a good post to remind me of that.

I have respirator masks for certain critical and emergency situations--taking dog to regular  non-holistic vet, and other medical situations for example.  But I need to be able to drive well and safely over all and not have a situation where between mask and glasses I cannot see well, or a situation where vehicle is getting so that I can never use it without wearing a mask.

If I were riding in someone else's vehicle and with someone with a problem fragrance, then for me to have a mask on is fine (I do this when I need to ride in a van after leaving off car for repairs, for example.  For my own vehicle, where I am the driver, it really is not fine.  I spent a lot of money to get a vehicle that works for me, including excellent air filtration, leather seats, etc. and I really don't want it ruined because the teen boys are into Old Spice at the moment. And/or whatever they'll be into or their girl friends into now or next.

If ds were anyone other than ds (or aside from someone very close in an emergency situation) I would not allow him in my house or in my vehicle in the condition he was in day before yesterday.

• Like 4

These have a special carbon filter that absorbes VOCs. But, the outer filter that filters out particles and dust and hair is combined with the carbon filter. The new filters are $200 or $300 dollars. If you are sensitive to odors, the outer filter absorbs them and you will need to change it yearly, but the carbon lasts for 5 years, so in the long run a $1,000 version where you can change the outer filter yearly for $20 but only have to change the carbon filter every 5 to 10 years for $200 is better. The carbon filters are very effective. It is not a thin carbon sheet, it is specially designed carbon with micro surfaces that can absorb chemicals and VOCs. If you keep your receipt, the company does offer filter discounts if you need a new filter fairly soon, and it is the lowest cost to see if the carbon filtration system will help you, but if the paint masks work, this should too, it is like a giant paint mask for a room.

This filter actually helps filter the air from things that are sat on or touched, it filters everything in the air.

ETA: here is a website explaining how they work.

https://inspiredliving.com/airpurifiers/carbon-filters.htm

And here is one in the $1,000 range with separate filters:

https://www.amazon.com/Airpura-UV600-Chemicals-Particles-Micro-organisms/dp/B000FKGW5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507252612&sr=8-2&keywords=Airpura

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

When I was growing up I always gave my dad Old Spice in the decorative bottles for Christmas. My mom was gifted those really cheap chocolate covered cherries (Queen Anne, I think). These were the days!

Old Spice is vile. Blech. My dad wears it so when he comes here it reeks.

Luckily it doesn't give me headaches or anything, but yeah I don't care for that stuff.

• Like 2

These have a special carbon filter that absorbes VOCs. But, the outer filter that filters out particles and dust and hair is combined with the carbon filter. The new filters are $200 or $300 dollars. If you are sensitive to odors, the outer filter absorbs them and you will need to change it yearly, but the carbon lasts for 5 years, so in the long run a $1,000 version where you can change the outer filter yearly for $20 but only have to change the carbon filter every 5 to 10 years for $200 is better. The carbon filters are very effective. It is not a thin carbon sheet, it is specially designed carbon with micro surfaces that can absorb chemicals and VOCs. If you keep your receipt, the company does offer filter discounts if you need a new filter fairly soon, and it is the lowest cost to see if the carbon filtration system will help you, but if the paint masks work, this should too, it is like a giant paint mask for a room.

This filter actually helps filter the air from things that are sat on or touched, it filters everything in the air.

ETA: here is a website explaining how they work.

https://inspiredliving.com/airpurifiers/carbon-filters.htm

And here is one in the $1,000 range with separate filters:

https://www.amazon.com/Airpura-UV600-Chemicals-Particles-Micro-organisms/dp/B000FKGW5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507252612&sr=8-2&keywords=Airpura

Do you have one of these? I'm wondering because years ago we purchased a $1000 machine. It did an awesome job for about 15 years but was so expensive to run. The carbon filters that would filter out chemical smells were supposed to last 3 years, but I think that was only on the lowest setting. We usually kept it at a medium setting (to make the bedroom a safe place), and had to change those filters yearly and then the regular hepa filters a couple of times a year. Anyway...I was just curious if the filters for this machine really last as long as they say (our bedroom is a good size but not huge...iirc it's 11X14 ish with hardwood floors).

• Like 2

Do you have one of these? I'm wondering because years ago we purchased a $1000 machine. It did an awesome job for about 15 years but was so expensive to run. The carbon filters that would filter out chemical smells were supposed to last 3 years, but I think that was only on the lowest setting. We usually kept it at a medium setting (to make the bedroom a safe place), and had to change those filters yearly and then the regular hepa filters a couple of times a year. Anyway...I was just curious if the filters for this machine really last as long as they say (our bedroom is a good size but not huge...iirc it's 11X14 ish with hardwood floors).

I have the $600 one but wish I had gotten the more expensive version, I have replaced the filters several times, but it was just the outer part that needed replacing. I don’t know which of the more expensive ones is best. There are also systems that install the carbon filter in your ac/heating unit that may be more cost effective and useful in the long run. Our current house is not too bad, but other houses and other areas of the country we looked into it. The amount and type of carbon seems to be the most important thing for how long they will last from what I researched. I was trying to figure out how to make my own for a while but it seems pretty complex, not a good homeschool chemistry project, LOL.

We were looking at a square one in line with our system, but here is a whole house one with a lot of carbon:

http://www.airfilterstore.com/airpura/v600w_for_chemicals.htm

So few people buy them that it is hard to see good reviews or figure out what one is best or what will work.

ETA: In our house that gave me the most problems and where I started to have a problem with VOCs, I would run it in the living room during the day, then drag it to my bedroom an hour before I went to bed. It was a trip up the stairs with a heavy machine, but it helped me a lot so it was worth it.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

I have the $600 one but wish I had gotten the more expensive version, I have replaced the filters several times, but it was just the outer part that needed replacing. I don’t know which of the more expensive ones is best. There are also systems that install the carbon filter in your ac/heating unit that may be more cost effective and useful in the long run. Our current house is not too bad, but other houses and other areas of the country we looked into it. The amount and type of carbon seems to be the most important thing for how long they will last from what I researched. I was trying to figure out how to make my own for a while but it seems pretty complex, not a good homeschool chemistry project, LOL.

We were looking at a square one in line with our system, but here is a whole house one with a lot of carbon:

http://www.airfilterstore.com/airpura/v600w_for_chemicals.htm

So few people buy them that it is hard to see good reviews or figure out what one is best or what will work.

ETA: In our house that gave me the most problems and where I started to have a problem with VOCs, I would run it in the living room during the day, then drag it to my bedroom an hour before I went to bed. It was a trip up the stairs with a heavy machine, but it helped me a lot so it was worth it.

Thanks.

We have an IQ Air that the doctor who was treating his chemical sensitivities recommended. He had one in his office and we could tell it was good there--and it was good, the costs just add up. It started making a hum that gave dh headaches last winter, so we stopped running it and are just using a regular HEPA filter (which of course doesn't address chemicals but is good for dust etc...)

• Like 2

Thanks.

We have an IQ Air that the doctor who was treating his chemical sensitivities recommended. He had one in his office and we could tell it was good there--and it was good, the costs just add up. It started making a hum that gave dh headaches last winter, so we stopped running it and are just using a regular HEPA filter (which of course doesn't address chemicals but is good for dust etc...)

It might be worth getting the motor or whatever is broken repaired and a new filter, that is one of the supposed better brands. The rate that you go through filters depends on the air you are filtering as well as the amount of carbon. With a note from the doctor, the cost could likely be deducted on taxes as a medical expense, given the diagnosis. Or, call his doctor and see what he recommends. I am not sure if a newer one is more efficient or not.

• Like 1

updates:

Yesterday after the XC meet, ds declared that he was not fragrancy.  He was certainly a lot less so, but not actually none.  

this makes me think

1) he either was putting something on deliberately--or at least may know more about how he gets fragrancy than he has thus far admitted

2) he has nose blindness so that he cannot tell the difference between some and none... though perhaps can tell the difference between a lot and some (depending if the situation is that he is judging by his own sense of smell versus knowledge of what he himself put on or who he hugged or something like that).

He did not end up putting on the extra clothing, or bagging stuff up, or showering right away as he had done the day before.  And it was not at a level that made me feel deathly ill and vomitting all night, but I did get another migraine. And in general it is not acceptable for it to go on even in this lesser amount sort of way.

I already warned him that we will be having a talk about it this afternoon after school, and I will again today insist that he either do the whole regimen that made things better day before yesterday or walk home. 

Any more specific thoughts for our conversation today would be appreciated.

I found this website with brochures and so on about fragrance products, in case some of you who also suffer are interested.  It also has free PDF's of info with some explanation of the toxic nature of modern fragrance products.

I'm planning to show ds the PDF info so he does not have the idea that fragrance products are perfectly healthy and just something that I object to.

http://www.healthbrochures.info

I'm ordering some of the brochures right away, and planning to take them into his school to try to talk with principal and / or superintendent about the situation.  Also they are planning to work on remodel of science wing soon, so I will get a few of the Creating Healthy Indoor Environments brochures for them and me too.

Do any of you have any ideas about how to go about having such a conversation with the powers that be at his school?

• Like 1

:grouphug:

I don't have any experience with this, as DS is super sensitive to scented products and wouldn't get near them never mind put them on his body, but something sounds off. His school doesn't allow scents to be worn--no Axe (thank goodness), no perfumes--and after cross country all he smells like is well, sweaty teen boy.

Can you contact the school and ask about their scent policy? If your son just being around it is causing so much residue as to cause you issues, I can't fathom how the teachers or students get through the day. Would it be totally weird to call and explain?

I hope you can get it sorted soon. I'm sorry for your misery. :(

Do you know how your ds's school got a no scents policy?

Grapevine suggests that one teacher may have quit because of a variety of problems, but including fragrance issues.

Last year, one girl was actually spritzing perfume on herself during class time, disturbing everyone--and that was stopped.  But before school, or between classes sounds like there is no rule against it.  And another girl (one my ds would like to have as a girlfriend) apparently sprayed another boy in the class with fragrance product.

The principal already knows I have the problem. But clearly more is needed at this time.

If you or others here have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.  I think I'll try to plan this out for next week.  And I hope to do it when I am not in midst of migraine and can speak reasonably.

• Like 1

You have a truck? I would tell him, go through decontamination or procedures or you sit in the back of the truck, your choice. If not done before getting in back of truck, go through decontamination at home or sit in garage...

Do you have to avoid Walmart the few weeks before Christmas? I found their huge display of fragrance as Christmas presents forced me to shop elsewhere this year for a few weeks, and Walmart is the most convenient for me usually.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

You have a truck? I would tell him, go through decontamination or procedures or you sit in the back of the truck, your choice. If not done befor getting in back of truck, go through decontamination at home or sit in garage...

Do you have to avoid Walmart the few weeks before Christmas? I found their huge display of fragrance as Christmas presents forced me to shop elsewhere this year for a few weeks, and Walmart is the most convenient for me usually.

It is illegal in my state for someone under the age of 18 to ride in the back bed of a pick up.

As long as it is daytime, "walk home if you won't comply" is my new go to.  For night time, I am thinking of going to options of get a ride with someone else, or don't go to the next meet as the result if there is a further failure to comply.  I'm not totally comfortable with him biking home if it is a late night back after sports or other events, but that is another option and with good bike lights, probably a lot safer than walking would be.

I avoid Walmart most all the time--I think I've been in a Walmart twice in 20 years--and certainly would never go in soon before Christmas.  I do most of my shopping online (or by phone). I go into a few grocery stores that tend to be okay. 

• Like 2

A handiman is coming later today (for another reason), but I am planning to talk with him about what he can do to help the problem with the fragrance.

again, any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.  Here are some of my thoughts as of now:

We have an outdoor bathtub in our backyard that has not been used for a long time, but one thought I have is to get that rigged so it could be a shower rather than a tub--so stuff could  be washed off rather than soaking in it.  And rig up some sort of pop-up (or something) cover over it so it could be used year round (or closer, maybe not if actually so cold a hose from house to shower would freeze up). And under which top of some sort, changing could be done.

Then, there is still the old washer --not working well, but not totally bust either -- which would need probably longer hoses and a Y coming out from each of the faucets that are now connecting the new washer so that both can be used. Ds can use the old one either entirely, or at least for a first soak and wash before things could then move to new machine.  this would be easier in very short term than figuring out how to put a washing machine into garage, where there is no hot water etc.

The basement actually also has an old shower spot, not now in use, but maybe could be fixed up to be back working. It is just in an open corner, open to basement that is, not to outside.  It is cold, and drafty, and the drainage did not work right--went toward a center drain in basement, so I had the nozzle taken off and otherwise made so it would not accidentally start pouring out water, and there are currently things stored in that corner.  Maybe it could be brought back into operational, the stuff stored there moved elsewhere (or KonMari-ed out of my life).  For drainage rather than water just flowing out all over basement floor, maybe some sort of tube could be rigged to carry water away that could be moved  so as not to trip on it when not being used, and maybe some sort of enclosure could be put for more privacy and less cold / draftiness. There is also a rarely used door to outside that does not work well and goes to a side that is inconvenient, and also that has sheets of metal roofing laid at an angle to keep rain out--but maybe that could be made more functional. If that were so, then basement could be the entrance that ds could use to shower plus get his clothes into washer as others have suggested for a utility room or garage.

Another lateral thought is a changing tent for outside, where, also, if ds were not ready to change and wanted a little while to sit and relax, or take a nap in a sleeping bag, before his de-fragrance regimen, he could do that even if it were very rainy.   But where it would be okay for him to stay until he was fragrance-free enough.

The garage is currently not all that suitable for staying in until ready to do what needs to be done.

You mentioned leather seats in your vehicle. I would consider putting some sort of plastic barrier over them (large trash bags, maybe, one over the back and one over the bottom of the seat) so that the scent doesn't permeate the leather while you try to figure this out.

• Like 3

You mentioned leather seats in your vehicle. I would consider putting some sort of plastic barrier over them (large trash bags, maybe, one over the back and one over the bottom of the seat) so that the scent doesn't permeate the leather while you try to figure this out.

Yes!  I'd better get on that one right away!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Do you know how your ds's school got a no scents policy?

Grapevine suggests that one teacher may have quit because of a variety of problems, but including fragrance issues.

Last year, one girl was actually spritzing perfume on herself during class time, disturbing everyone--and that was stopped. But before school, or between classes sounds like there is no rule against it. And another girl (one my ds would like to have as a girlfriend) apparently sprayed another boy in the class with fragrance product.

The principal already knows I have the problem. But clearly more is needed at this time.

If you or others here have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I think I'll try to plan this out for next week. And I hope to do it when I am not in midst of migraine and can speak reasonably.

I don't know, sorry. No scent policies are pretty common around here.

I wish I could think of ideas you haven't already come up with.

• Like 1