Menu

Phonics Help

lulalu

We have done 51 lessons of 100 EZ lessons. Ds cannot stand it. It is too much for him and confusing him with the symbols.

So we have been using Alpha-Phonics the free version from Don Potter. I like this much better. However, ds still is choppy in sounding out (after 7 months of reading lessons) and he just seems to get into a rut with figuring out the pattern not reading the word.

So I looked at Phonics Pathways it looks good. I like simple lists of words to work through. Word families are just too easy. Or Webster? This seems to have less hand holding than PP though, but it is free which is nice.

Or do I want something else? Cheap and easy are my main wants.

You're on 51?

That's about the time we started Throw Back Thursdays, where each week instead of pressing on we'd pick a lesson 10 or 20 behind what he was doing and redo it instead. It was just the right amount of reinforcement to make him feel successful.

We were going back in lessons, but they still were frustrating.....

All his other school work he is ok with. Pulling out 100 EZ and he says not today and puts it away or hides it on me.

He is ready to read and enjoys working through Bob books or Alpha-Phonics just that AP is easy to guess with.

We are using Progressive Phonics and we really like it. It does introduce the words in word families, but the stories have a mix of new words and already learned words. My maze-loving son actually likes the worksheets too. It's free online so it couldn't hurt to take a look.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I have experienced that with 100 Easy Lessons as well, I believe it is because it really jumps in ability about midway through.  I love how it gets children blending well right from the beginning using oral games built right into the text.  I love both Alphaphonics and Phonics Pathways, but have found The Reading Lesson a better starter program, as all needed reading practice is built right into the program.  With the Reading Lesson, Bob books are a great addition once you get several lessons into it, but stories are progressively longer and more complex as you work through it. I always follow The Reading Lesson with either Alphaphonics or Phonics Pathways with any readers that you/your children like.  I usually use the Beginners Bible as my childrens first reader, accompanied by Dr. Suess during their "quiettime reading period"  as the stories are just the right size.  After the Beginners Bible I have found my children can go directly into chapter books.  My children have enjoyed all 4 programs, but I would say The Reading Lesson has been their favorite for initial teaching as well.

• Like 1

Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading was my favorite. We did 100ezl and PP too. OPGTR and PP were available at my library, so you might be able to try before you buy.

I wish I could try it out and look at it first! Online samples are so short. But we are expats without an English library.

However, from Book Depositry I can order PP or Ordinary Parents Guide.

• Like 1

I wish I could try it out and look at it first! Online samples are so short. But we are expats without an English library.

However, from Book Depositry I can order PP or Ordinary Parents Guide.

rainbow resource and Christian Book D something, CBD, generally have the most sample pages.

I agree on the I See Sam books. Www.3rsplus.com gives digital versions free and it is the easiest reading course I have ever used. My daughter was also stuck around lesson 40 of 100 EZ lessons before we switched. About a year later, she is now in ARI2 of the 3rsplus version of I See Sam, and is also reading Harry Potter.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I use PP and Webster's is the differences too confusing?

I read through Elizabeth's website. The syllabary doesn't seem too hard to teach through. I think I am understanding how to do that.

So how do these two work together? Or do they not? Webster's just seems to make a big jump in skill with not a lot of practice with smaller words.

• Like 1

If I use PP and Webster's is the differences too confusing?

I read through Elizabeth's website. The syllabary doesn't seem too hard to teach through. I think I am understanding how to do that.

So how do these two work together? Or do they not? Webster's just seems to make a big jump in skill with not a lot of practice with smaller words.

I think that the syllables are easiest to start with and I love the 2+ syllable words after.  I worked through the complete Webster's Speller in order with my children just to try it, but I think something like Phonics Pathways is better for 1 syllable words.  

I would do the syllables, then work on few 2 syllable words from table 26, then do a bit from table 26 in Webster with Phonics Pathways or Blend Phonics or Word Mastery.  Then, go on to the next 2 syllable word table, doing 5 to 10 minutes of 2 syllable words per day while you're progressing through phonics basics.  

The first 6 syllables lessons are set up in a sequence that combines Webster and Blend Phonics.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

I think that the syllables are easiest to start with and I love the 2+ syllable words after.  I worked through the complete Webster's Speller in order with my children just to try it, but I think something like Phonics Pathways is better for 1 syllable words.  

I would do the syllables, then work on few 2 syllable words from table 26, then do a bit from table 26 in Webster with Phonics Pathways or Blend Phonics or Word Mastery.  Then, go on to the next 2 syllable word table, doing 5 to 10 minutes of 2 syllable words per day while you're progressing through phonics basics.  

The first 6 syllables lessons are set up in a sequence that combines Webster and Blend Phonics.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

What she said-lol.

• Like 1

Some children are choppy because they are not developmentally ready to not be choppy. Practice does not override developmental level. There is a reason some countries do not start school until age 7. Boys especially are often not ready to read until they are 7, even the very bright ones. The most efficient time to start mass schooling is age 7. Sure SOME kids can read earlier, but many cannot.

Survival library has some phonics books and readers that I think can be downloaded outside the USA.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014

With a choppy K-aged child, I would allow the child to guess and memorize sight words, as unpopular as that is in current homeschool circles. And I would do more other things than phonics. I would read aloud more and train the child to listen and increase his verbal skills and vocabulary. I would teach him to observe and build his knowledge of content subjects. Then I would be confident that I could expect him to explode ahead with reading comprehension when he was ready to decode faster.

Ella Francis Lynch taught the child to memorize Hiawatha and then left the child to practice "reading" the memorized text. This method can be used with any poem, song, holy book scripture, or book.  https://archive.org/details/educatingchilda00lyncgoog

This activity IS developmentally appropriate for K.

OG programs are best used for remediation of LOGIC stage children. They are not the best way to push young children, still in the grammar stage, to read. Don't be too quick to invest in LD resources.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links Hunter.

We do a lot of other things than phonics in our days. We have only been spending about 10 minutes a day. We read a lot! And of a wide variety. Most days I get so tired of reading!

Sounds good!

My oldest did not read till he was 8, but then took off like a rocket. This is very common among boys. On the other hand, I taught myself to read at 4. My younger son may have been reading adult novels at 6; I truly do NOT know what he could and could not do, since talking and obeying were not things my 2E kid did. LOL.

Guess who was the most academically successful in the long-run? The late reader.

I risked beatings trying to learn to read, I was so desperate to do so. I'm a strong advocate of both sides of the debate, of early and late instruction. It depends on the kid.

Does your son like audiobooks? Will he listen to some?

If I buy "free" books from Amazon, I am offered a reduced price for the audio book. The same if I borrow a book from the library. Many audiobooks are only $0.99 to $2.99 after the ebook is "purchased".

I know things outside the USA are tougher. But you can use librivox, right?

• Like 1

Have you read any of Ella Francis Lynch? She has a book called bookless lessons as well as the book I linked to.

Waldorf has a lot of ideas that don't require books.

Some of the original Montessori ideas used less stuff than it does now. The instructions for teaching grammar to "defectives" is good and in one of the public domain books. I have used some of that with pre-readers.

I like Charlotte Masons's ideas for "outdoor geography" lessons.

• Like 1