Menu

What in the world is wrong with my wrist?

Carrie12345

It hurts sometimes, and it goes from a twinge to pain and weakness in about 24 hours, then lasts another 24 (with bracing.)  No injury.

Years ago, I dealt with pregnancy induced carpal tunnel in the other wrist, and this does not feel like that.  This feels like I genuinely sprained/strained it, except I didn't.  I haven't even lifted weights in a couple of weeks.

This is probably the 3rd time it's happened in the past 6 months.  No unusual activities or anything that I can connect.

Where is the pain? Does it hurt when you're doing any certain kind of movement?

I have De Quervain's Tenosynovitis, and if it is flaring up it can cause sharp pains when I'm doing odd things, like trying to pull up the bed covers. The pain is mostly on the inside of my wrist, near the base of my thumb. I haven't had a major flare-up in a couple of years but I still usually have a general stiffness in that wrist.

Mine was brought on by my workouts (weight lifting, kettlebells, stuff like push-ups and planks, etc.). It's a repetitive-use injury, so could be a result of your weightlifting, even if you haven't done any in the past few weeks.

I hurt my wrist once because it was bent at an awkward angle and my hand was tucked under while I was sleeping and apparently putting some weight on it. It felt like I had pulled something when I woke up and straightened it, and the ache didn't go away for several days. Using a mouse and other similar movements made it worse.

Are you doing any repetitive motions with it, or carrying something for long periods of time?  Repetitive motions could be stacking wood, painting, etc. Even carrying something relatively light for long periods of time could fatigue some of the small muscles in the forearm crossing the wrist joint.

Wrist pain can be so weird. I thought I had carpal tunnel and it turned out to be a pinched nerve in the neck. Dishwashing triggers it.

Other symptoms?

Emily

Yes! I'm pretty sure I have ulnar nerve entrapment and had no idea it runs up and under the clavicle!  It can cause pain from the shoulder to the elbow to the wrist and numbness in the pinky and ring finger (which I have).

• Like 1

Yes! I'm pretty sure I have ulnar nerve entrapment and had no idea it runs up and under the clavicle!  It can cause pain from the shoulder to the elbow to the wrist and numbness in the pinky and ring finger (which I have).

Oh, wow, really?  I get that sometimes too.  Shoulder, wrist and pinky but not elbow that I've noticed.  Off to google.