Menu

Swim Moms - tangles advice

Southern Ivy

For swim caps when my Dd was young she wouldn't wear a latex cap at all. For a while she wore to caps. A Lycra cap to cover the hair and then a silicon cap. That approach may be overkill for you. Silicon caps are more expensive than latex, but they don't pull hair as much.

If you get a cap follow the pp rec to wet hair, work conditioner into hair and cover with cap.

I use Ultra Swim and a cap for my daughter. She despises the cap and won't wear it all the time. I also bought a really thick conditioner that I put on my daughter during swim season. It came in a tub and I think is intended for African American hair, but it really helped with my daughter's fine, straight, Caucasian hair.

• Like 1

This is only hearsay and I've not googled it, so take it fwiw. I was told that chlorine wrecks hair by binding to the hair shaft. The goal isn't to soften it, but to prevent the chlorine molecules from binding to the hair in the first place. To do this, wet the hair and coat it with conditioner and comb through before swimming. If you forget and hair gets crispy, the goal is to unbind the chlorine from the hair using a clarifying shampoo like ultraswim.

• Like 1

For swim caps when my Dd was young she wouldn't wear a latex cap at all. For a while she wore to caps. A Lycra cap to cover the hair and then a silicon cap. That approach may be overkill for you. Silicon caps are more expensive than latex, but they don't pull hair as much.

If you get a cap follow the pp rec to wet hair, work conditioner into hair and cover with cap.

I think she's allergic to latex like her dad, so we'll probably err on the side of caution and get a silicon cap. 

This is only hearsay and I've not googled it, so take it fwiw. I was told that chlorine wrecks hair by binding to the hair shaft. The goal isn't to soften it, but to prevent the chlorine molecules from binding to the hair in the first place. To do this, wet the hair and coat it with conditioner and comb through before swimming. If you forget and hair gets crispy, the goal is to unbind the chlorine from the hair using a clarifying shampoo like ultraswim.

We're swimming in an hour. I'll try that today and see how it goes.