Menu

Has anyone tried Moviepass?

Katy

It's a phone app, you pay $10/month, and it gives you one movie theater ticket per day.  AMC is suing because they don't want an app to have that sort of bargaining power.  The problem is you can't search to see if theaters in your area accept it until you agree to the $10/month fee.

• Like 1

It's a phone app, you pay $10/month, and it gives you one movie theater ticket per day.  AMC is suing because they don't want an app to have that sort of bargaining power.  The problem is you can't search to see if theaters in your area accept it until you agree to the $10/month fee.

Try this website to find if theaters in your area participate: http://mdudetm.com/moviepass/ It's not associated with Moviepass, but as far as I can tell, it's accurate for my area.

• Like 1

Your favorite Theater chain may have something you can sign up for and save money, without paying every month for something you may not use.  Our favorite chain, CineColombia (we are in Colombia) has a Card that my wife has.  If she puts money onto that card, then the admissions and food/drinks are discounted. I think approximately 25% but I'm not sure of the percentage.  If she uses it, we save money. If she doesn't use it, we are not out any money.

Question: If you sign up for it and  you do not like it, can you cancel without being liable for more monthly payments?

Your favorite Theater chain may have something you can sign up for and save money, without paying every month for something you may not use.  Our favorite chain, CineColombia (we are in Colombia) has a Card that my wife has.  If she puts money onto that card, then the admissions and food/drinks are discounted. I think approximately 25% but I'm not sure of the percentage.  If she uses it, we save money. If she doesn't use it, we are not out any money.

Question: If you sign up for it and  you do not like it, can you cancel without being liable for more monthly payments?

You're thinking it's a scam the way I did at first.  I think you can cancel, though I didn't read all the terms and conditions so I'm not certain.  It's founded by one of the cofounders of Netflix, and the goal is to disrupt the movie theater industry the way they did video rental. They're paying the theaters full price for the tickets.  I guess they've been operating since 2011 but until this month the fee was $50/month.  Then the price drop and crazy media coverage.  Obviously they're experiencing some growing pains, because no one is smart enough to upgrade their API on their website to search or else ditch the database and just put up a list of participating theaters.

They have the funding to operate at a loss for some time, until they have the sort of bargaining power that would enable theaters to switch profit streams away from tickets and towards advertising and concession sales.

• Like 1

Katy and Garga Once we went to an early screening. I was ahead of my wife and she was doing the transaction because she has the CineColombia card. I thought she made a mistake because we usually sit in the Premium section farther from the screen. We sat in the last row of the Standard section. She explained the price differential was enormous for that showing. They made money on us for the food and drinks.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

DH used to have a subscription back when it was $30 a month and it was a great deal then. He only dropped it because we moved into a different season and he stopped going to so many movies (he was going once a week for awhile). It worked exactly as advertised. Now that they've dropped it to $10, I feel like theater participation will be short-lived. Still worth it while it lasts!

• Like 1