Menu

New Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

ksr5377

the first 6 weeks are available as a free download. My printer is printing them out right now. I am so excited to get this. :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: we have been at a loss for grammar for a while. have been using Abeka as a fill in while waiting and we hate it.

the first 6 weeks are available as a free download. My printer is printing them out right now. I am so excited to get this. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: we have been at a loss for grammar for a while. have been using Abeka as a fill in while waiting and we hate it.

Where is it? I've been waiting too! I can't find it.

I'm kinda bummed it is scripted for the teacher. I was hoping it would be written to the student so we could have a bit more independence. Dd9 is about to start FLL4, and I was hoping to start backing off a bit. Oh well. Fll works wonderfully for her, so I doubt we'll switch when it comes down to it.

Does this look like something an older (5th grade) student could do if they have not done FLL?  I need to do some remediation because it's become obvious that what we used didn't stick.   I looked at FLL but I think it will come across as too 'young' for her.  

Does this look like something an older (5th grade) student could do if they have not done FLL?  I need to do some remediation because it's become obvious that what we used didn't stick.   I looked at FLL but I think it will come across as too 'young' for her.  

I could absolutely be done, as it starts at the beginning in every level. 

Edited by StartingOver
  • Like 1

It looks so far like a continuation of FLL.  I'm not quite sure why I was hoping it would be different, but FLL oral lessons with a lot of b/w exercises reinforcing it are a terrible fit for my son who prefers something more visual.  Every time I tried to make him repeat definitions as requested, he would be visibly upset or cry.  I know FLL has a lot of fans though, so if you like FLL, you will love this program.  Maybe one of my younger children will connect with this learning style.

• Like 1

Ugh. I'm in a bit of a quandary. I too was hoping for more independence....this is very teacher directed like FLL. On one hand, ugh. I was not a fan of the long lessons with mom in FLL, but I know they certainly worked and there was retention... In the end it might be worth it...maybe...

• Like 2

Ugh. I'm in a bit of a quandary. I too was hoping for more independence....this is very teacher directed like FLL. On one hand, ugh. I was not a fan of the long lessons with mom in FLL, but I know they certainly worked and there was retention... In the end it might be worth it...maybe...

Yeah, when I got the sample, dh might have been startled by my yelling, "Nooooooo!" ☺ï¸

• Like 2

So to recap- this can be used by a kid in 5th with no prior grammar instruction. Correct?

My guys have done a bit of lots of things but not finished (or retained) a thing. Would this be a good choice for them then?

Edited by Paradox5

So to recap- this can be used by a kid in 5th with no prior grammar instruction. Correct?

My guys have done a bit of lots of things but not finished (or retained) a thing. Would this be a good choice for them then?

According to the following link, it can be used for kids who haven't had prior grammar instruction.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=177890&share_tid=654896&url=http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/index.php?/topic/654896-FREE%21-First-Six-Weeks-of-%22Grammar-for-the-Well-Trained-Mind%22&share_type=t

Edited by Maryam

So far my children ( 11 and 9, the 9-year-old works at the same level as her brother in all subjects except math where she is ahead of him.) have worked on their own. They have gone through FLL 1-4, and have done Latin, so not beginners to grammar.

It does start at the very beginning with abstract, concrete nouns. The first six weeks is all review for my children, I can not speak to later lessons. I am anxious to see the whole pdf.

I do not think I would hand it to a younger child, but the explanations would only take a few moments. SWB does say that you can easily group children together, and then the younger children can go back and do the beginning books they missed.

Edited by StartingOver