Menu

Dr. Hive: What is Optimum Vitamin D Level in Blood?

Crimson Wife

My SN child had some blood tests run yesterday and one was Vitamin D. It came back at 25 with a "normal" range of 20-50. We see the doctor again on the 23rd but is 25 ok or should we be aiming for something more in the middle of that range?

some history:

back when they thought d3 was all about strong bones and teeth -  that meant a d3 level >10.  (rickets is <7)  that was when they set the USRDA at 400ius.

then they started finding people did better at >= 30  (and an oncologist said she never had a patient >30)

when 2dd was in pharm school - d3 came up in one of her classes.  it is actually in-process/under-consideration to be reclassified from vitamin - to hormone.  I have actually seen it referred to as a hormone on some sites.

now . . . a d3 level of 50 is considered the minimum.  many ND's prefer 70 - 80.

drops are most absorbable - geltabs next.  

you want d3.   (any dr that offers d2 is a run away, don't walk, to a new provider.)

recently had a *very* interesting conversation with my DO.  (I've known her for 30 years).  her d3 level was <10 - and despite taking 10,000IUs daily - it wouldn't come up.  she was subsequently diagnosed with mthf 677 - and started being treated for it.  *without* doing anything else for the d3 - it had risen into the 40s after she started being treated for mthf, which brought down her homocystine levels.  (677 is associated with very high homocystine levels - and that does need to be treated.)

Now they are saying that a normal range starts at 50. I do best at 80.

The lab my doctor uses still interprets 25 as the low end of the normal range, but 3 of our practitioners say that's too low. As Jean said, their recommendation is to aim for at least 50.

• Like 1

some history:

back when they thought d3 was all about strong bones and teeth - that meant a d3 level >10. (rickets is <7) that was when they set the USRDA at 400ius.

then they started finding people did better at >= 30 (and an oncologist said she never had a patient >30)

when 2dd was in pharm school - d3 came up in one of her classes. it is actually in-process/under-consideration to be reclassified from vitamin - to hormone. I have actually seen it referred to as a hormone on some sites.

now . . . a d3 level of 50 is considered the minimum. many ND's prefer 70 - 80.

drops are most absorbable - geltabs next.

you want d3. (any dr that offers d2 is a run away, don't walk, to a new provider.)

recently had a *very* interesting conversation with my DO. (I've known her for 30 years). her d3 level was <10 - and despite taking 10,000IUs daily - it wouldn't come up. she was subsequently diagnosed with mthf 677 - and started being treated for it. *without* doing anything else for the d3 - it had risen into the 40s after she started being treated for mthf, which brought down her homocystine levels. (677 is associated with very high homocystine levels - and that does need to be treated.)

Gosh, about the hormone thing - I can see it. My low D symptoms are very much like those described for thyroid issues. And it definitely affects my mood!

• Like 2

Recently had a *very* interesting conversation with my DO.  (I've known her for 30 years).  her d3 level was <10 - and despite taking 10,000IUs daily - it wouldn't come up.  she was subsequently diagnosed with mthf 677 - and started being treated for it.  *without* doing anything else for the d3 - it had risen into the 40s after she started being treated for mthf, which brought down her homocystine levels.  (677 is associated with very high homocystine levels - and that does need to be treated.)

We're waiting on the results of whole exome sequencing and it wouldn't at all surprise me if DD has MTHFR issues. She responded to both DMG and methyl B12 injections. I discontinued both of those a few years ago (MB12 in 2013 when we had to switch to HMO insurance that wouldn't cover them and DMG when we found out about the hearing loss & didn't at first know that it was genetic).

We're waiting on the results of whole exome sequencing and it wouldn't at all surprise me if DD has MTHFR issues. She responded to both DMG and methyl B12 injections. I discontinued both of those a few years ago (MB12 in 2013 when we had to switch to HMO insurance that wouldn't cover them and DMG when we found out about the hearing loss & didn't at first know that it was genetic).

I ended up discontinuing b12 injections for dudeing because it was too costly.  I then started him on sublingual methylcobalimum.  his ND was fine with 1mg/1000mcg.

Interpreting D blood values may not necessarily be straightforward.

My kid with issues has a vitamin D (25-hydroxy) level around 30 or 28 or something.  But, his calcitriol (1,25 Di-Oh Vit D) is 90, which is high, and that is a sign of inflammation.  Supplementing D3 makes his symptoms worse (so, we don't).  He also has the VDR taq polymorphism, homozygous.

Mine is 30-something, but my calcitriol is 44, normal.  Supplementing gives me more energy as long as it isn't too much, isn't every day, and isn't too late in the day (can give me insomnia).  (I also am homozygous for the VDR taq polymorphism. But, I don't have the immune dysfunction and immune deficiency that my kiddo has.)

Just in passing, I have also read that supplementing vitamin D requires more magnesium to be processed.

An article about vitamin D and calcitriol:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4160567/

Edited by wapiti

The oncologist wants me around 60 - 70, and interestingly, she's got me on 20mg of melatonin nightly as well.

what's the source?  there are so many out there that aren't as effective.

deplin is the rx - but I like thorne mthf better.  I can feel the difference on the exact same dose.

eta: I'm just going to delete that rec.   I initially respected the guy - but I learned I really have to take what he says with a grain of salt.  some stuff is worthwhile - other is misleading to the point he's just asking for a lawsuit against him.

Edited by gardenmom5

The oncologist wants me around 60 - 70, and interestingly, she's got me on 20mg of melatonin nightly as well.

Yes, I have a friend with stage 4 breast cancer that had metastasized. Her oncologists(mainstream- big Nationwide name cancer center) were very clear that low vit d was a factor. Unfortunately, too many regular doctors are behind the times.

Interpreting D blood values may not necessarily be straightforward.

My kid with issues has a vitamin D (25-hydroxy) level around 30 or 28 or something.  But, his calcitriol (1,25 Di-Oh Vit D) is 90, which is high, and that is a sign of inflammation.  Supplementing D3 makes his symptoms worse (so, we don't).  He also has the VDR taq polymorphism, homozygous.

Mine is 30-something, but my calcitriol is 44, normal.  Supplementing gives me more energy as long as it isn't too much, isn't every day, and isn't too late in the day (can give me insomnia).  (I also am homozygous for the VDR taq polymorphism. But, I don't have the immune dysfunction and immune deficiency that my kiddo has.)

Just in passing, I have also read that supplementing vitamin D requires more magnesium to be processed.

An article about vitamin D and calcitriol:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4160567/

That's interesting. 25-hydroxy was tested but not calcitrol. We may be in for some more blood tests in a few weeks depending on what (if anything) this most recent round finds and if so, I'll ask for the calcitrol.

???

melatonin, not methylfolate. 

I have a minor MTHF permutation as well, so PodiaPN for me.

what's the source?  there are so many out there that aren't as effective.

deplin is the rx - but I like thorne mthf better.  I can feel the difference on the exact same dose.

eta: I'm just going to delete that rec.   I initially respected the guy - but I learned I really have to take what he says with a grain of salt.  some stuff is worthwhile - other is misleading to the point he's just asking for a lawsuit against him.

"Normal" for labs is is not considered optimal anymore. 60-80 would be much better

The way my doctor put it, normal zone is enough to sustain life, but not thrive. Other countries set their normal zone for thrive. B12 levels also get this comment.

"Normal" for labs is is not considered optimal anymore.  60-80 would be much better

yes 'semantics'.    normal =/= *optimal*

and that goes for many things.   especially regarding thyroid!

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1