Menu

Questions for swim moms

MistyMountain

We are starting regular lessons which are 4 days a week in the summer and 2 days in the fall and also have started taking the kids to the pool on a regular basis. My oldest wants to do swim team when she passes all the swim lesson levels. I have discovered ultra swim shampoo which keeps their hair from being damaged by the chlorine but it is expensive. How many goggles and swim suits do you have? Do you wash the swim every time they are worn? I do right now because of the chlorine smell. How much swim shampoo do you go through? Any other advice for going to the pool regularly.

Edited by MistyMountain

Swim suits can just be rinsed well and hung dry.

Goggles last a long time. Or they get lost. I used to buy those multi packs at Costco.

Sometimes I use chlorine shampoo. Sometimes I don't. Thoroughly wet hair with regular water before putting on cap (you want the hair to already have absorbed nonCl water). Wash after swim (don't let hair dry). Condition as you wish.

• Like 1

I have 4 kids that all swim on a team. We go through A LOT of Swimmer's shampoo. If you can find one, Sally's Beauty Supply sells a swim shampoo in liter bottles. I also put a pump in it to help control the amount used. It often goes on sale too.

We wash our suits everyday. They have several suits but they also tend to have favorites. The key is to use a good sport suit. Speedo, TYR, Dolfin. I often find Speedo suits at Marshalls for way cheap.

My kids have a few pairs of goggles. Backup pairs are necessary. Since my kids wear glasses, we get "prescription" goggles from Swimoutlet.com. It's helpful to get a bungee strap too.

• Like 2

We do not have a Marshall's here unfortunately and the Costco goggles did not fit well and had leaks. I am trying to find places to get them more affordably. I got charged shipping at swimoutlet even when I spent enough and I usually will not have orders big enough. They did have good deals on goggles.

The costco googles are not as good as just speedo googles you get from their site.

I have 3 kids on team and one in lessons.

We don't use the special shampoo.  

You can have one suit at a time, but they will get worn out fast.   

They shower right after that is the rinse for the suits. 

Speedo is having a great sale on stuff in their outlet right now.   BOGO

http://www.speedousa.com/sale?camp=Email:20170713OutletBOGO&utm_source=link1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170713OutletBOGO&CAWELAID=944786471&j=1030644&l=159_HTML&u=40090187&mid=7209129&jb=307&sfmc_sub=135149975

My kids generally had 1 suit that they wore and they would hang it up to dry in between.  I only washed the suits occasionally so they would last longer.  They didn't use goggles usually, nor a swim cap.  In our rec team, these were not required, and I am the kind of mom who tells my kids, "I went my whole life swimming without googles, so I'm not going to feel sorry for you if you lost yours."  :P  Or, "save up your earnings and buy a new pair."

We did invest in the swimmer shampoo after my kids' hair started to look nasty.  I don't have any brilliant ideas on that side of things.  :)

The costco googles are not as good as just speedo googles you get from their site.

I have 3 kids on team and one in lessons.

We don't use the special shampoo.

You can have one suit at a time, but they will get worn out fast.

They shower right after that is the rinse for the suits.

Speedo is having a great sale on stuff in their outlet right now. BOGO

http://www.speedousa.com/sale?camp=Email:20170713OutletBOGO&utm_source=link1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170713OutletBOGO&CAWELAID=944786471&j=1030644&l=159_HTML&u=40090187&mid=7209129&jb=307&sfmc_sub=135149975

Thanks for the tip on the sale!

We are starting regular lessons which are 4 days a week in the summer and 2 days in the fall and also have started taking the kids to the pool on a regular basis. My oldest wants to do swim team when she passes all the swim lesson levels. I have discovered ultra swim shampoo which keeps their hair from being damaged by the chlorine but it is expensive. How many goggles and swim suits do you have? Do you wash the swim every time they are worn? I do right now because of the chlorine smell. How much swim shampoo do you go through? Any other advice for going to the pool regularly.

NOT a swim mom. But we have been going to the pool 2 or 3 times a week this summer.  (Both of my kids have at least 2 swim suits. In case one is misplaced we can wear the other.)

We just use conditioner in hair. We didn't even use something special when I was a kid and was in swim team.

We definitely do NOT wash the swimsuit every time we use it. Maybe every couple of weeks?  Otherwise, we rinse out and then let drip dry.  Goggles are kept until they break or are lost.

Edited by vonfirmath

We don't use swim shampoo, even though my youngest' hair almost reaches the back of her knees. When she washes it, we comb it out, then I put a ton of Shea butter in it before I French braid it.

She swims an hour a day and We don't wash her hair again until the braids start loosening, maybe 3 or 4 days. Her hair isn't damaged at all. It just keeps growing.

One daughter has about 10 practice suit. And the other 5 because we get hand me downs when friends out grow theirs. They have 3 team caps and 3 pairs of goggles each. One is dark for back stroke. The others are different brands depending on what that kid finds comfortable and fits her face.

We don't wash suits every day either, we just rinse them out.

Edited by amy g.

We did't use swim shampoo, but they always rinsed their hair (and bodies and suits) after every dip in the pool.  They each had one pair of goggles, which we replaced as needed.  (We splurged and always got high quality ones, generally replacing them once/year or so.)

For swimsuits, they usually had one practice suit and one meet suit.  Once the practice suit was bad, they'd often keep them and put them on as a layer over their new practice set, to add weight.  Usually they needed new suits yearly.  They were always careful to rinse them, which helped, but nothing lasts long in daily chlorine.

Thanks. I went and looked through all the swim suits we had and two of the ones dd claimed did not fit did fit so at least swim suits are something I can look for as I find more deals now. It was hard with just one. I will try just rinsing out the suits. Maybe I can hang their robes and towels too. I do really like the shampoo. Their hair was really smelling like chlorine all the time even with rinsing it out right away in the shower and even my son with really short hair was showing signs of damage. Now it does not smell and the haircut place that always tries to sell their shampoo did not because it looked good. They were losing the goggles so I ask all the time now before we leave if they have them and put them up right away when we get home. I do feel like they could use a spare.

Edited by MistyMountain