Menu

Leaving a job off my resume

Night Elf

The last job I held was in late 2009. I was at a daycare center for about 6 months. My kids were not doing well with homeschooling with me gone all day so I quit the job. I turned in a 2-week resignation. They asked me to stay until they found a teacher. 3 weeks later, I was having a major problem with my oldest dd so I told work that I needed to leave. They decided I was leaving without a resignation and paid me only minimum wage for that last week I worked. At the same time, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. The owner of the daycare was nice to me and once lamented to me why she couldn't hold teachers long term. So I stupidly emailed her after I left and told her I was diagnosed with Bipolar. She didn't email me back. I really wish I hadn't done that.

So now I'm wondering if I apply for a job, can I just leave that job off my application and pretend I haven't worked since 2001? I am worried someone will call that daycare for a reference and they'll give me a bad recommendation because 1) I have a mental health disorder, and 2) they think I left without a resignation. 

What would you do?

• Like 1

You can leave it off the resume. But not off an actual application that asks you to list "all prior employment". Most applications will indicate that if you leave something off the application & it is later discovered, it is cause for immediate termination. Some applications that I've filled out say "list all relevant employment" which then makes it fine to leave off really old stuff or things that don't matter. Or list all in the past "x" years.

• Like 3

The good news is that I have a word of mouth recommendation. The owner of this daycare is the MIL to my dd's best friend and the owner wanted to hire my dd to be her assistant manager. The website has a link for careers and says they are hiring and to email them to let them know you're interested. I can start work in August so I figured I could go ahead and start talking with them now.

I'd love to leave off the old daycare job even from the application but maybe if I have the word of mouth recommendation they wouldn't even call the old daycare?

Personally, I'd probably leave it off.

I don't quite understand though -- since you DID give your 2-week notice -- why they had you stay on, which you kindly did, but then when you finally HAD to leave they said that as far as they were concerned you didn't turn in your 2-week notice?  That seems very unfair of them.  Grrr.

I think if somehow any future employer were to find out you worked there (although I don't know how they could), you'd have a good reason for having left.

I wouldn't overthink it.

Well, I sent an email asking about open positions and did mention I had previous experience. What I'm hoping for is for her to call me asking for an interview and when I get there she'll give me an application to fill out. Then I'll be honest and tell her up front that I did work for a short term in daycare and the circumstances surrounding my leaving. I will not mention the bipolar at all as my DH said it's really against the law to divulge medical information without my consent. 

Personally, I'd probably leave it off.

I don't quite understand though -- since you DID give your 2-week notice -- why they had you stay on, which you kindly did, but then when you finally HAD to leave they said that as far as they were concerned you didn't turn in your 2-week notice?  That seems very unfair of them.  Grrr.

I think if somehow any future employer were to find out you worked there (although I don't know how they could), you'd have a good reason for having left.

I wouldn't overthink it.

I don't know why they acted like I hadn't turned in a resignation. I was having a serious problem with my oldest dd when I left after 3 weeks so when they said they were only paying me minimum wage, I just said fine and left. They mailed me my check so I didn't see them again. It was definitely unfair of them but they were mad that I was actually leaving. I didn't know how long it might take for them to replace me. We had other open positions in the school too. When I was working, everyone was really nice so I don't know why they had trouble finding employees.

I'd leave it off.  I've been an admin for about 20 years.  I have at least 3 admin positions that no longer appear on my resume (and a few other completely non-related positions).    A couple lasted 6 months or longer, a couple were less than a month.  I definitely don't want them contacted for anything so I leave them off.

As long as you have a reference, I doubt having it on there would help you any.  A daycare isn't usually looking for extensive work experience.

Edited by Where's Toto?

Well, I sent an email asking about open positions and did mention I had previous experience. What I'm hoping for is for her to call me asking for an interview and when I get there she'll give me an application to fill out. Then I'll be honest and tell her up front that I did work for a short term in daycare and the circumstances surrounding my leaving. I will not mention the bipolar at all as my DH said it's really against the law to divulge medical information without my consent.

I wouldn't mention your diagnosis either, but there's no obligation for privacy between a former employer and employee. Or really current employer-employee in my state... Your former employer didn't find out about the condition because of their managing the health insurance, which would be in the HIPAA realm. Employee personnel file privacy is a very different animal. This looks like a pretty decent summary: https://www.workplacefairness.org/medical-privacy-workplace#1

Former employers are guided by state law. In GA, they can say pretty much anything that is true and isn't a violation of your civil rights (age, religion, sex, national origin, etc.). Check your state's DOL website to see what is allowed where you live.

In the case of a day care they will probably run a back ground check and find out anyway. I'd put in on my resume and talk to the person about the actual experience. I would make sure the new employer knew that you DID give a resignation and worked for longer than it was supposed to be for. My own oldest child is a preschool teacher at fancy high end preschool/ daycare places and they are ALWAYS understaffed. ALWAYS. The employer had no business trying to hold you hostage like that. It was unprofessional and lacking any personal boundaries. 

I found my resume and I had already put the old daycare on it. I worked from Aug. 2008 to Jan. 2009. I left my last job before that in 2001 and it, and all my previous ones back to 1986, were clerical/administrative positions. The short daycare experience is the only related work history I have. Oh and my college experience. I was an early childhood education major, specializing in birth to age 5 but didn't graduate. I don't even know how to fill out an application with such a huge gap between jobs. I hope I don't seem stupid but I want to talk to the owner first before filling out the application so I tell her my work history and ask what she would like me to put down.

For this type of job, I doubt I'll even turn in a resume. The only job requirements are to live within a 30 mile range of the school, be 18, have a high school diploma or GED or currently working on a GED. That's it. 

I found my resume and I had already put the old daycare on it. I worked from Aug. 2008 to Jan. 2009. I left my last job before that in 2001 and it, and all my previous ones back to 1986, were clerical/administrative positions. The short daycare experience is the only related work history I have. Oh and my college experience. I was an early childhood education major, specializing in birth to age 5 but didn't graduate. I don't even know how to fill out an application with such a huge gap between jobs. I hope I don't seem stupid but I want to talk to the owner first before filling out the application so I tell her my work history and ask what she would like me to put down.

For this type of job, I doubt I'll even turn in a resume. The only job requirements are to live within a 30 mile range of the school, be 18, have a high school diploma or GED or currently working on a GED. That's it.

You have a lot of related experience! You're a mom with three adult children! And I assume you have friends with children, as well as nieces and nephews? Have you ever served at church? VBS? Baby or toddler room? Taught preschool or elementary aged Sunday school? Led a craft, song, or lesson? Community related stuff? Volunteered in a nursing home? All of that counts as experience.

And honestly, it's a daycare center. Chances are they are hoping you will work out as much as you want it to work out. i would just focus on your strengths. You don't have to have paid work experience to be qualified as a daycare worker. If you are warm, kind, patient, loving and an experienced mom - you're the perfect candidate! 😊ðŸ‘ðŸ»

You have a lot of related experience! You're a mom with three adult children! And I assume you have friends with children, as well as nieces and nephews? Have you ever served at church? VBS? Baby or toddler room? Taught preschool or elementary aged Sunday school? Led a craft, song, or lesson? Community related stuff? Volunteered in a nursing home? All of that counts as experience.

And honestly, it's a daycare center. Chances are they are hoping you will work out as much as you want it to work out. i would just focus on your strengths. You don't have to have paid work experience to be qualified as a daycare worker. If you are warm, kind, patient, loving and an experienced mom - you're the perfect candidate! 😊ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I did volunteer in the elementary aged department at church before we moved in 2005, so that was a long time ago. I was also a Girl Scout leader in about 2000 for one year. I homeschooled for 15 years which I think is what impressed my last daycare job. How do I put those things on an application? I don't remember applications asking for stuff like that. Or should I just redo my resume and give that to her during the interview? 

This is all assuming they even have a job opening. The more I think about it the more excited I get so I know I'll be disappointed if they aren't hiring. There is another daycare that is currently hiring but it's farther away from my house. Besides, I'm not available to start work until August 7th and that daycare may fill any position before then.

I would definitely bring a resume with you to hand in!

On your resume I'd order it:

Objective

Summary of Qualifications

Education

Related Experience

Work History

References

In your Objective you can use it to show you're transitioning from mom to re-entering the workforce. I realize you said you didn't complete your college degree, but I'd include it still because it's relevant and works in your favor. For Summary of Qualifications, I would make those bullet points with words showcasing your strengths (Motivated & Self Starter, Nurturing, Creative, Ability to multi task, Excellent problem solving skills, etc) . Related Experience is where I'd list homeschooling, community service, any babysitting you may do for friends or family, church work, Girl Scouts, etc. In Work History I would list your administrative experience and other previous employment (I'd leave off the daycare personally). For References, you could simply say *Available Upon Request or you could list three. On the application, you could list work history only and attach your resume - or ask the director about it.

I would just list the last three. This is just an entry level position and your work history is from a really long time ago. It isn't really relevant to what you currently want to do. The only benefit in sharing it shows you have been employed in the past and can hold a job, you can adhere to a schedule, & you have worked under a supervisor & alongside co-workers. Those are my thoughts anyway😊

ETA- and honestly, if your last three jobs just go too far back or don't really showcase you as an employee - only list one or two. A resume is really just about getting the interview. There they can ask you questions if they want more information.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

My last full time job before the daycare ended in January 2001. I worked at that specific job on and off for a few years, not consistently. I've never worked at one job at one time for more than 11 months. I went to a job placement place and she worked my resume to show I had worked from the start of my first job to the ending of my last job so it looked consistent. I've always listed it that way on job applications.

I'll take a look at revising my resume. I'm just thinking a place like this won't even know what to do with a resume. I'm sure they're used to hiring people with very little experience.