Menu

Poll: Parking in the garage

Arctic Bunny

Under what conditions do you park your car in your garage?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. I park my car in the garage when it is

• Snowy
    • Rainy
    • Slushy
    • I park in the driveway until the car is dry
    • I take my car through the car wash before parking it in the garage
    • I drive straight in, even if it means the garage floor will get dirty
    • I never park in the garage
    • Other
  2. 2. If parking in the garage means the floor gets dirty:

• It doesn't matter
    • I'll clean the floor occasionally
    • I'll clean the floor immediately
    • I wouldn't get the floor dirty
    • I never park in the garage
    • Other
  3. 3. My garage floor is

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tactic:

Look up some stats on the cost of replacing vehicles.  Look at the cost of your vehicles compared to all other aspects of your budget/financial picture (for most people, vehicles are a very high %, usually second after a mortgage).  

Parking in the garage will extend the life/condition/resale value of the vehicle due to paint, seals, tires, etc., especially if you live in an area with high or freezing temps (not sure if $ is a motivation for your DH).  

We never park in the garage. We have a big family and with that comes a passenger van and a really huge suv. Neither fit. I think the suv might fit by height but it's too long and the van wouldn't fit in either height or length. When we had smaller cars we did park in the garage. Snow, rain, whatever.... we parked on the concrete floor and didn't worry about it.

So what do you do when you arrive at home or leave while he is out? Is he always there? Do you leave the car outside and carry the groceries through the rain?

He's almost always there, but if he isn't, I park in the lane next to the house.  There are several garages and sheds in the farmyard, but there is no garage attached to the house, so any loading or unloading occurs in front of the house, and yes, I get wet if it's raining, and I leave the car there for him to park wherever there is space in one of the sheds or garages.  He parks the cars where he thinks they should go.  I am sure there is a system to it, but like I said upthread, it's his thing, so I leave him to it.  It makes him happy to take care of my car for me.  Acts of service is his love language.

• Like 1

Where I live, many people put a screen door on their garage in the summer and use the garage for an extra living space.

It has a nickname..."XYZ Living Room." XYZ is the name of any suburb or neighborhood the speaker wants joke about.

I have never heard of that!  What a clever idea!

Now I want a screen garage door.

So, what does he think the garage is for? If it's not for parking the car in, what does he want to do with it. 

Well.... just going by how my own dh is about garages, sheds, any buildings that are not a house... he probably wants to store every tool, gadget, and gizmo he can collect in there, and/or build and/or fix every project thing he can dream up in there. 

A friend of mine is looking at houses, and my dh saw some pictures of one she was interested in and remarked how nice that one would be because "it's got a 3 tractor garage!"  With him you just know where his heart is.  :lol: 

There are many reasons why I don't go in the sheds or garages. :lol: