Menu

buying an older iPad

maize

I'm looking to buy a used iPad on eBay. I don't need the latest and greatest and I do need to save money, but I also don't want something that is completely obsolete. What would be the oldest iPad generation you would consider?

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Maybe a 3? Not sure. I do know that my iPad 2 is very slow now. It does have the latest OS, I believe, but there are many features of that OS that don't work. It loads everything slowly, and some games don't work well, if at all. There are some apps it won't run at all.

However, some games work fine on it. The Starfall app works fine. The Room games worked fine on it. It's fine for watching TV and Netflix on it. The Kindle app is no problem. We can even use Chrome in it, but that's slow. So it kind of depends on why you want it. If you want to do a lot of quickly-changing stuff or move between apps quickly, it's too slow for that, really.

My first generation iPad stopped working recently. Wouldn't take a charge.... But I doubt you would want to go that old.

I did have people looking at it with envy because it had no camera. I could be on a pool deck or some other place with a no camera rule. Someone would come up to me and tell me,"no cameras" and when I would show it didn't have one I would often get asked where I would get that special feature. :p

I did have one person who clearly acknowledged that it had no camera but still insisted I put it away since it would be unfair to the other people who couldn't use their devices, since those devices had cameras. ???

• Like 2

I did have one person who clearly acknowledged that it had no camera but still insisted I put it away since it would be unfair to the other people who couldn't use their devices, since those devices had cameras. ???

Whaaa?!

Sounds like a case of "I don't want to deal with other people whining to me about why you get to use your tablet and they don't"

iOS Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

That's data for your decision. As far as my own experience, we have a couple ipad3s in our house. I would not, not, not, not, not recommend going that low. The wifi on it is arduously slow compared to any of the better devices. My iphone 7+ kicks butt. Geekbench on that is 3300. Ipad Air is 1300, Air2 is 1800. Ipad pro 9.7 is 3000. So if you're going to use wifi and surf on it, I would move up.

I mainly use my ipad3 for Ronit Bird ebooks, apps (solitaire, Agricola), etc. It's really crunchy even for the Ronit Bird ebooks, crunchy enough I've been wondering about replacing it. So that's why I'm saying go up. 

Oh wow, the geekbench for the ipad2 was 335. The geekbench for the A7 Ipad Air was 1325. If you got a DEAL, an amazing deal (like crazy, crazy low) you could go with the Air. I bought one for my SIL (present from MIL), and it's fine. But if the prices are pretty close, keep bumping up. Or if you know you might buy one on the cheap and let it trickle down the child pipeline, that could work. But really, for kids, I'm a huge lover of the kindle.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I have a 2 and a 3 here and ended up taking them to work for students to use the educational apps on.  It worked well for that as it was just language learning and not something that required fast speeds.

Not sure what to do with them now.  I won't be in the classroom next year and my kids don't want them as they now prefer their phones to any tablets.  

I have a 2 and a 3 here and ended up taking them to work for students to use the educational apps on. It worked well for that as it was just language learning and not something that required fast speeds.

Not sure what to do with them now. I won't be in the classroom next year and my kids don't want them as they now prefer their phones to any tablets.

I would accept a donation :D

• Like 3