Menu

New Orleans?

KarenC

I visited with my children when they were young teens. We stayed in the French Quarter and did as many guidebook sights as we could (museums, historic homes, food, riverboat ride, food, etc), but one favorite tour was a mule buggy ride from Jackson Square around the French Quarter. We were in New Orleans at a very quiet time, tourist-wise, and the driver took us on an extra long, leisurely ride. It was the first thing we did and gave us a wonderful sense of the city.

We are from up north, do the entire experience of the city was thrilling. It is *so* different -- the architecture, the music, the food. My only regret is that we did not stay longer.

ETA

I had flexibility in our travel times. We went in August, after many schools in the south had begun. I checked to make sure that there were no football games, no festivals, etc. City was fairly empty, and result was that our simple rooms were upgraded to a large suite, no waits in museums or restaurants -- so relaxing.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Streetcar to Audubon Park

Cafe du monde - worth the wait but pay attention to where the lines start, etc. There is a sketchy bathroom there if you need it.

French Market

Drive (carefully) the Garden District

Stolling the Quarter, but avoid Bourbon Street.

A cemetery tour is cool.

Walk Magazine Street. Cool. Eclectic.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

City Park can be reached from the streetcar and there is SO much to do there.  There is a cafe called Morning Call that has (IMO) better beignets than Cafe du Monde and there is an outdoor sculpture garden that is FABULOUS.  Tons of stuff for kids and teens.   Good disc golf course if you have a disc to bring. Nice walking trails, mini golf, etc. 

Cemetery tours are interesting. Teens would love it. 

Food. It's fun to try New Orleans specialties. Like a muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery- it's fun to get one and share it. And a po boy- it's fun to get a couple and share.  

Ride the trolley to explore stuff- there is an ice cream shop on the trolley line and it's charming and they sell Roman Candy.  Or go on the line that goes past the old, historic homes. Get off and walk through those if your kids like architecture. We're architecture crazy here. 

We did some hanging around where they were filming some shows- that was pretty fun. We watched NCIS New Orleans film some street scenes...from a distance, of course. 

Eat pralines...actually, sample them all. I like the sugary kind but other people like the creamy variety. Every shop has samples. 

We did Preservation Hall and even if you're not into jazz music it's a fun experience.  

When we traveled with teens we always let them pick one thing to do and it's interesting to see what they pick. They had a lot of fun looking at guidebooks or searching online, and they sometimes picked something that they wanted to do and other times they chose things they knew the whole family would like.  

• Like 2

No, we will be there later this month.  My oldest has an internship this summer at Tulane University.

Well, if you were there this week, you could watch thousands of dancers compete in the North American Irish Dance Championship competitions! My Facebook and other social media is flooded with talk of New Orleans this week. So, if you were looking for spray tanning or shops that sell Swarovski crystals, I've got you covered.  :tongue_smilie:

I haven't been there since I was 19 (which was a long long time ago!), but I have strong memories of the trolley rides, cemeteries, walking along the waterfront park area, and watching street performers around the French Quarter. I didn't have much money for shopping or restaurants, but there was so much to take in, with all of the sights and sounds. Enjoy!

• Like 1

My issue with Cafe du Monde is the amount of powdered sugar. It's excessively excessive. So much that the floors are sticky. But yeah, I know....heresy.

You shoulda been there in the good old days when they actually had sugar shakers on every table!

OP, watch your timing if you take the St Charles Avenue street car to visit uptown. Do it midmorning. It is actively used by commuters and if you get into the afternoon rush, you can end up on a long, hot, crowded ride.

• Like 1

It sounds like a cemetery tour is a must. We planned to go to the park and dd says there are plenty of things to see along the trolley route. I'm sure we will find enough to eat. No worries there!

Definitely go with a tour group. Don't try to do a cemetery tour on your own, a group is much safer.

• Like 1