Menu

Help me with audiobooks.

StaceyinLA

1. Go to your public library website. Look for e-book audiobooks, find out what mechanism they use for you to borrow and download. Our library uses Overdrive. There is an app.

or

2. Check out librivox for free recordings of public domain books. You can download the books as mp3 file to you computer or phone.

or

3. Get an audible membership and purchase audio books with your credits.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

My library uses Overdrive and I use that app for android, as regentrude mentions above. I like it--even though my car is old and has nowhere to plug in my phone. I still have a cassette player--lol. But my phone speakers are adequate if I'm the only one listening.

• Like 1

Our library uses Overdrive and Hoopla.  I have Overdrive on my phone.  It's very easy to use; I figured it out by myself and I am pretty dense when it comes to stuff like that.  I need to look at Hoopla too.  Your librarian should be able and happy to help you out with getting started. 

Re: older cars:  we have two cars with no audio input (or whatever the right term is). You can get adapters for them.  I don't know details.  I know we had one that we inserted into the cassette deck and we plugged the phone or ipod into it.   I think it was fairly inexpensive.  

I've looked at Audible a few times but I can never justify the expense.  And, I want to listen and return, no need to own something I'll never listen to again.  

I use overdrive (transfer to iPod and keep forever) and audible.

I don't like buying books but I adore love want to marry Audible.

I pay for 2 credits/month, they have daily audiobook specials and several times a year have buy one get one free sales (my favorite)

I spend too much time in the car and audiobooks have saved my sanity. Sometimes at night I'm too tired to read, not a huge tv person and I can just lie in bed listening to a book.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll look into some of these and check with my library as well. Honestly, I'm likely to try Audible. I know I want something easy to use.

I spend a good bit of time in the car, and traveling (and with my dd about to move to Seattle, I don't see that changing). I also think I'd like listening in bed.

I am an auditory learner for sure. It took me a long time to realize how much more I retain from hearing. In addition, reading puts me to sleep! That has prompted me to get books and listen to them.

Thanks! I'll look into some of these and check with my library as well. Honestly, I'm likely to try Audible. I know I want something easy to use.

I spend a good bit of time in the car, and traveling (and with my dd about to move to Seattle, I don't see that changing). I also think I'd like listening in bed.

I am an auditory learner for sure. It took me a long time to realize how much more I retain from hearing. In addition, reading puts me to sleep! That has prompted me to get books and listen to them.

If saving money is an issue, I encourage you to try your local library first.  Our uses Overdrive and I have never been in want of a book to listen to.  Sometimes I have to put a hold on a book and I am WAY down the list and it takes weeks to even months for me to get my turn but I can have 10 active holds and then 100 other books on my "wish list" and I can always listen to one of those that is available while waiting on another book.

Over Christmas break a friend posted about listening to The Nightingale which spurred me into trying audio books. https://www.amazon.com/Nightingale-Novel-Kristin-Hannah-ebook/dp/B00JO8PEN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498522098&sr=8-1&keywords=the+nightengale+kristen+hannah

I have not looked back since.  I even went out and bought a Kindle Fire on one of the $39 specials so that I could use that to put my audiobooks on and not tie up my phone.  ABSOLUTELY not necessary but has come in handy at times.  You can also sync from device to device as well.

Our library had both Overdrive and Hoopla (love my library) and I've been able to make them birth work pottery easily. BUT you can also make an appointment for a librarian to walk through the process with you on your own device.

Plus, the Hive is here for you if you run into specific issues.

I love audible.

I downloaded the app on an old phone we had lying around (cracked screen, no sim). I load up all the kids books and we take it in the car. We drive 3 hours every Friday so we get some decent reading in. Sometimes the kids take the phone into their rooms to listen before bed.

Check out Playster -- the audiobook portion of it. They also offer music, games and books for a higher price, but the audiobooks are $9.95 a month for unlimited books. You don't own them like Audible, but that is a plus for me. I have an app on my phone and can also listen on my computer. There are very few audiobooks I haven't been able to find there.

I've looked at Audible a few times but I can never justify the expense.  And, I want to listen and return, no need to own something I'll never listen to again.  

If you want to listen and return, you might try playster.  It seems to be the NEtflix of books.  I like audible because I do relisten to my books.

• Like 1

My library uses Overdrive and I use that app for android, as regentrude mentions above. I like it--even though my car is old and has nowhere to plug in my phone. I still have a cassette player--lol. But my phone speakers are adequate if I'm the only one listening.

Yes to Overdrive and I followed the advice of a poster here and signed up for Free Brooklyn Library to get a larger selection. If you are not living in the state of NY, they ask for $50 annually - it was still worth it for me. You can download books to read and audiobooks.