Menu

A question about Adderall

Serenade

My 17 year old son has recently started Adderall. Although initially diagnosed 10 years ago, he has not previously taken ADHD meds. He started at 5mg, and went up to 10, neither of which seemed to make a difference. Recently we tried 20 mg, and my DH and I could finally see a difference in the efficiency with which he completed his work. However, my son doesn't like it because he says it makes him feel anxious about all of the work he has to do. I guess my question is, is this normal? The reason my son is taking this medication is because of his slow pace at completing his work -- he has a focus issue, not a hyper issue. I'm thinking he is finally feeling what everybody else feels when they have work to do -- compulsion to get it done. His whole life he has always done things slowly -- you can't light a fire under him, not for anything. His mantra is, "Everybody advance at his own pace." That is why I was thinking that maybe this medicine was helping him to feel the kind of motivation that a normal person feels to get a job done. He, however, says it's not a good kind of anxiety. I was reading on one of the other threads that anxiety is a side effect of Adderall, so maybe he has a point, and this is not a good medicine for him. We have never used meds before, even though he was diagnosed at 7, because we've been able to allow him more time to finish his work, but now with a high school work load, he is having to work all day and into the evening just to get in a normal day's work.

Anyhow, I know this is a rambly post. I'm not sure if I'm explaining right, but my basic question is, how should a person feel under the influence of Adderall? Is a little anxiety normal? From the outside, my son didn't appear any different to me, and he was able to work efficiently. But he is telling me he doesn't feel good with the med, so I'm wondering what to do. He doesn't have a lot of medication options because he doesn't swallow pills -- the Adderall can be sprinkled on whipped cream, which is one of the reasons this was prescribed.

I took this recreationally, and I've taken [speed]. And they both made me feel the same way, except meth lasted 20 minutes, and Adderall lasted hours. I am not ADHD. Compulsion to focus is a good description of the effect. And a general "I HAVE to get this done/perfect no. matter. what." feeling. I don't intend to scare you, but trust your son.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 4

adderall is a stimulant - and stimulants can cause anxiety.

have you talked to his dr about switching to a different drug?  maybe one that will help, without the anxiety.

eta: have you ever done anything to work with him to learn how to swallow pills? he's 17..   I can understand the swallowing resistance, I had one that was well into their teens when I insisted they learn because of the dosage issues it was causing.

you can try putting the pill in pudding, and swallowing it that way as a start. gel tabs, or small coated tablets.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I struggled to find a dosage that helped me without feeling... I don't know if anxious is the most accurate word, but it's the closest I can come up with at the moment.  I do have anxiety issues (without Adderall), and it was definitely a similar adrenaline feeling, and not one I was able to accept.

I haven't taken meds in about a decade, but I'm still perfectly capable of feeling the pressure of deadlines and responsibilities, whether my ADD is getting in the way or not. That is NOT the same as what I was physically feeling before.

• Like 2

eta: have you ever done anything to work with him to learn how to swallow pills? he's 17..   I can understand the swallowing resistance, I had one that was well into their teens when I insisted they learn because of the dosage issues it was causing.

you can try putting the pill in pudding, and swallowing it that way as a start. gel tabs, or small coated tablets.

We have attempted a lot of different things, none successfully, mostly because he is not really willing to try. He tried those prescription fill pills for ADD, and he chewed them (yuck!) because he refused to attempt swallowing. We've offered pretty hefty incentives, too, but he still won't try. He says he's afraid he'll choke to death. I told him I've never heard of someone choking to death on a pill, and then he says he'd probably be the first one. The ironic thing about this is that he's a teen boy, and he gobbles his food like a teen boy, and probably routinely swallows chunks bigger than a pill.

Better than a spoonful of sugar - how to swallow pills | ACHRI | University of Calgary

We were just discussing how to teach swallowing pills. That link has instructions. With my ds, I've been using Nerds candy. They're teeny tiny.

Thanks for linking this. It looks like there are several options. Maybe we could find one that works for him. We've tried mini m&ms, but nerds are smaller, so maybe we'll start there.

It sounds like maybe the Adderall is not a good medicine for him. He's only taken that dosage for 7 or 8 days, and I was hoping maybe he would acclimate to it -- you know, get used to the feeling. But it sounds like from some of the comments above, that it is not a good thing for him to feel that sort of anxiety.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Serenade

We have attempted a lot of different things, none successfully, mostly because he is not really willing to try. He tried those prescription fill pills for ADD, and he chewed them (yuck!) because he refused to attempt swallowing. We've offered pretty hefty incentives, too, but he still won't try. He says he's afraid he'll choke to death. I told him I've never heard of someone choking to death on a pill, and then he says he'd probably be the first one. The ironic thing about this is that he's a teen boy, and he gobbles his food like a teen boy, and probably routinely swallows chunks bigger than a pill.

I take a mouthful of sups at a time- and sometimes one or two will be very slow to go down and start to dissolve in my throat. icky.  prunes . . . chew it up, and swallow water - anything in the throat will be stuck to the prune and will go with it as it passes by.

dudeling refused to even eat anything that he knew had been sprinkled with something. . . .he'd sooner starve.  I made him a godfather offer (his ND backed me up). . . he could swallow it in a pill - or get it in a shot.  he utterly loathed and despised needles. (blood draws were a major undertaking).  now, he can take a mouthful of  pills.. . . .

we started him with melatonin - but when he realized how much better he felt the next day after a decent nights sleep, he was completely willing to take it.

• Like 2

I take a mouthful of sups at a time- and sometimes one or two will be very slow to go down and start to dissolve in my throat. icky.  prunes . . . chew it up, and swallow water - anything in the throat will be stuck to the prune and will go with it as it passes by.

dudeling refused to even eat anything that he knew had been sprinkled with something. . . .he'd sooner starve.  I made him a godfather offer (his ND backed me up). . . he could swallow it in a pill - or get it in a shot.  he utterly loathed and despised needles. (blood draws were a major undertaking).  now, he can take a mouthful of  pills.. . . .

we started him with melatonin - but when he realized how much better he felt the next day after a decent nights sleep, he was completely willing to take it.

I'm going to tell him about the prune thing. This kid likes prunes!

He takes melatonin, but chews it. My typo above was supposed to be fish pills, not fill pills. Yep, he chewed the fish pills. Unfortunately, he can't chew most ADD meds. We initially tried to get him something called QuilliChews, but the insurance wouldn't cover it, and it was very expensive.

Ds has been taking adhd meds since he was young, and is currently on a generic version of Adderall. Is your son's Adderall the slow release type? It would say ER, XR, or possibly IR.  If so, it shouldn't make him feel anxious.They are stimulants though, and could make one feel jittery. Is it possible he's confusing jittery with anxious? ADHD meds are meant to help with focus, and in some cases impulse control (which is the real issue with H, not hypeactivity). Btw anyone, even someone without the condition, will focus better when taking ADHD meds. The difference is someone with ADHD has difficulty focusing without help and the meds put them on an even keel with others. 

Ds takes 20 mg. ER but as I said, he's used to taking ADHD medication. He did try a year without them and basically blew his 9th grade year because of it. It was worth it though because now he understands just how his medication helps him. Fortunately with homeschooling he could lose a year of school and we were able to "fix" it.

People react differently to stimulant medications and different medications/doses sometimes need to be tried before finding the right one. It looks like the doctor tried different doses but not a different medication. Adderall is generally the one prescribed for older teens and adults with ADHD but it's not the only medication available. If he's truly just ADHD Inattentive Type rather than ADHD Impulsive Type or ADHD Combined Type (my son is the latter), then there are some meds that deal with only focus and don't address the impulsivity. Has he seen a doctor about his diagnosis (not just for meds) since that initial diagnosis? Is it possible he needs to be re-evaluated?

This site can be really helpful in trying to figure out where to start. 

Good luck to him. Having ADHD is not "a gift", it's frustrating and sometimes self-esteem killing. Addressing it, either through medication, behavior modification, counseling, or a combination can help make it easier to live with. And while it's not a gift, there are positive personality traits shared by people with ADHD. Addressing the down side can help bring out the positive side. I hope he can find the right treatment.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

Setting aside the negative side effects (anxiety), how does he feel about how the stimulant helped him? Does he drive? That's one thing to look at, how the meds improve his driving. Will they improve his ability to hold the jobs he's considering?

I'm just suggesting that he's made it a long way without and you could ponder options. Like maybe he'd rather pursue things he can do without meds and you just make this last year of high school work out. You could spread things over the summer, etc. It just depends on what he's looking at over the next few years. If he's planning a 4 year college, it's going to be a serious issue. Has he done any career testing or career counseling yet? Would caffeine give him enough improvement and have the perk of being easily drinkable? It's not the same, but there's also something to finding a reality you can live with. 

• Like 2

I would try a different med. Adderall lists anxiety as a side effect and if he's complaining, I'd take it seriously. I would not trade ADHD for anxiety! A different stimulant may work better or he may need to try something that is not a stimulant to avoid anxiety.

• Like 3

Ds has been taking adhd meds since he was young, and is currently on a generic version of Adderall. Is your son's Adderall the slow release type? It would say ER, XR, or possibly IR.  If so, it shouldn't make him feel anxious.They are stimulants though, and could make one feel jittery. Is it possible he's confusing jittery with anxious? ADHD meds are meant to help with focus, and in some cases impulse control (which is the real issue with H, not hypeactivity). Btw anyone, even someone without the condition, will focus better when taking ADHD meds. The difference is someone with ADHD has difficulty focusing without help and the meds put them on an even keel with others.

He is taking XR, and he could be confusing jittery and anxious. He hasn't taken it in a few days, but he'll take it tomorrow, and I've asked him if he could maybe try to pinpoint what he feels when he's taking it. Interesting about the impulse control vs hyperactivity. He definitely has problems with impulse control, although he has never been hyper.

Ds takes 20 mg. ER but as I said, he's used to taking ADHD medication. He did try a year without them and basically blew his 9th grade year because of it. It was worth it though because now he understands just how his medication helps him. Fortunately with homeschooling he could lose a year of school and we were able to "fix" it.

How long does it take to get used to an ADHD med? Is it more a matter of getting used to the feeling, or the body getting acclimated to taking it?

People react differently to stimulant medications and different medications/doses sometimes need to be tried before finding the right one. It looks like the doctor tried different doses but not a different medication. Adderall is generally the one prescribed for older teens and adults with ADHD but it's not the only medication available. If he's truly just ADHD Inattentive Type rather than ADHD Impulsive Type or ADHD Combined Type (my son is the latter), then there are some meds that deal with only focus and don't address the impulsivity. Has he seen a doctor about his diagnosis (not just for meds) since that initial diagnosis? Is it possible he needs to be re-evaluated?

He hasn't been re-evaluated since his initial diagnosis, but his pediatrician is very willing to work on trying different things. The ped. did say if we can't find anything after a few tries, it would probably be worthwhile to get re-evaluated, but for various reasons, I hope we don't have to do that.

This site can be really helpful in trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks for linking that.

Good luck to him. Having ADHD is not "a gift", it's frustrating and sometimes self-esteem killing. Addressing it, either through medication, behavior modification, counseling, or a combination can help make it easier to live with. And while it's not a gift, there are positive personality traits shared by people with ADHD. Addressing the down side can help bring out the positive side. I hope he can find the right treatment.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that up. I appreciate it, and I've been thinking about what you wrote for the past couple of days, as I try to figure out what to do next. My son will probably wrap up his school work this week for the summer, and then he's off to camp, but I want to schedule a new doctor's appointment when he gets back. Since we're in the trial phase, we have to see the doctor to either renew the prescription or try something else. That's why I appreciate this information so that I have a better understanding when we talk to the doctor.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

Setting aside the negative side effects (anxiety), how does he feel about how the stimulant helped him? Does he drive? That's one thing to look at, how the meds improve his driving. Will they improve his ability to hold the jobs he's considering?

He doesn't yet drive, and his lack of focus is one reason we're not really encouraging it. He is somewhat interested in learning to drive, and maybe this is a good thing to point out to him. Lucky for him, he has a job mowing lawns on our street, so he can walk! He doesn't think he needs any "help" but I don't think he realizes how much he zones out and how he has a hard time completing a normal load of work.

I'm just suggesting that he's made it a long way without and you could ponder options. Like maybe he'd rather pursue things he can do without meds and you just make this last year of high school work out. You could spread things over the summer, etc. It just depends on what he's looking at over the next few years. If he's planning a 4 year college, it's going to be a serious issue. Has he done any career testing or career counseling yet? Would caffeine give him enough improvement and have the perk of being easily drinkable? It's not the same, but there's also something to finding a reality you can live with.

These are very good questions and things that I ponder and worry about. He doesn't worry much, and he thinks that I worry too much. :-)

He is planning on going to Community College for two years before deciding whether or not to go to a 4-year school. It's probably a wise decision for him.

He does like coffee and feels it helps him. We've been doing "coffee therapy" for a while, and it seems to help him, but the effect doesn't last long. He doesn't really want to take meds and would prefer to drink coffee instead, but I think he really needs a bigger boost than the coffee gives. Maybe I should let him drink more coffee.

How long does it take to get used to an ADHD med? Is it more a matter of getting used to the feeling, or the body getting acclimated to taking it?

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that up. I appreciate it, and I've been thinking about what you wrote for the past couple of days, as I try to figure out what to do next. My son will probably wrap up his school work this week for the summer, and then he's off to camp, but I want to schedule a new doctor's appointment when he gets back. Since we're in the trial phase, we have to see the doctor to either renew the prescription or try something else. That's why I appreciate this information so that I have a better understanding when we talk to the doctor.

ADHD stimulants don't build up in the system, so getting used to them is really just a matter of getting used to the side effects (and even recognizing that what he's feeling is a medication side effect). Sometimes, after taking a medication for a few weeks the side effects lessen. The long acting meds have a longer half life than the short acting, but both types are eventually processed by the body and are gone. 

There is something to keep in mind though, and ds ran into it during a job fair recently. If the company does a saliva swab as a drug test they might show up as amphetamines (because technically that's what they are). Ds was prepared and he told the interviewer he takes Adderall for adhd. It was just a matter of sending him to a lab for urine test, which is more accurate than the swab. It shouldn't cause problems because they're doing nothing illegal, but people who take these meds need to let potential employers know (or current employers who do random drug tests).

And you're welcome. We've been navigating these waters for a long time. I try to help when I can.

He doesn't yet drive, and his lack of focus is one reason we're not really encouraging it. He is somewhat interested in learning to drive, and maybe this is a good thing to point out to him. Lucky for him, he has a job mowing lawns on our street, so he can walk! He doesn't think he needs any "help" but I don't think he realizes how much he zones out and how he has a hard time completing a normal load of work.

These are very good questions and things that I ponder and worry about. He doesn't worry much, and he thinks that I worry too much. :-)

He is planning on going to Community College for two years before deciding whether or not to go to a 4-year school. It's probably a wise decision for him.

He does like coffee and feels it helps him. We've been doing "coffee therapy" for a while, and it seems to help him, but the effect doesn't last long. He doesn't really want to take meds and would prefer to drink coffee instead, but I think he really needs a bigger boost than the coffee gives. Maybe I should let him drink more coffee.

Ds got his learner's permit at age 15 as soon as he became eligible, but he was almost 18 before he got his regular license. It is an issue for people with ADHD because distracted driving is dangerous!

Here's something to keep in mind about college (community or four year) - Your ds should be able to get accommodations under the ADA. I don't think it matters whether or not he's on medication, only that his disability is documented. My son did dual enrollment at the community college he now attends, so we got his accommodations in place while he was still a high school student. Since he was homeschooled he didn't have an IEP, so we had to get documentation from his doctor. Each school will do things differently, but it's my understanding that if a college, public or private, accepts ANY kind of financial aid from the federal government they must comply. In ds' case, his doctor listed all possible accommodations he *might* need, but he's really only used one - more time for tests. If the test is in person, his instructor sends it to the learning lab and ds schedules a time to take it (there are deadlines, but he gets to take it any time before the deadline). In the case of online tests, they're timed, and for his accommodation the instructor removes the time limit. If your ds really wants to attend college, this would be something worth looking into. His CC should have an office that deals with students with disabilities. He should start there. I don't know if they'll talk to you - colleges take student privacy seriously even for minors, but if you go in together (if he'll agree to that) you can both find out the steps needed.

• Like 1

Our psychiatrist will only prescribe Ritalin because of its long history so its risks are known. The thing that I like about Ritalin is the person's ability to time the medication for when they need it: work, school, whatever. If a person couldn't concentrate well enough while driving, it would be a problem, but the members of our family who need it have done well on the old-fashioned med.

• Like 1