Menu

Study abroad packing help

TravelingChris

crossposted in College board

My youngest is travelling to New Zealand to study abroad in two weeks. Trying to figure out luggage considering the carryon on Air New Zealand can only weigh 15lbs. One free bag which can weigh 50 lbs. I know we will be ending up paying for excess baggage but what are you'all's tips? Any help with this?

(And yes, I am very frustrated that she put this off for so long).

• Like 1

She is going from July 5th to November 19th? From many people's warnings that New Zealander's don't heat as high as typical in the US and her having Raynauds, we need to keep her warm. She is coming in their coldest month and leaving in mid Spring. Even in summer there, it isn't warm. She is used to warmer weather having lived here in AL and TN these last 6 years. But it doesn't snow where she will be studying, just cold rain. She is going to be studying at Wellington University.

You should NOT need to pay for any additional baggage!  I can't imagine that.  I pack a family of 6 in one 50lb bag for a month.  She might need one additional bag on her way back if she buys any souvenirs.  She should carry on whatever jacket she is bringing in addition to her bag, this usually isn't counted as a separate item.  If she plans to bring tall boots, have her wear those on the plane as well.  

How long (how many seasons) will she be gone?  What is the laundry set-up going to be?

Do a bit of googling on capsule wardrobes to find ideas on how to make a few pieces work for many different occasions and looks.  

Consider that she may want to purchase a few items there, rather than buying anything new before she leaves.  

• Like 3

I don't ever pack anything that is cheaper to get there. And I try to find alternatives if I have to - like, my shampoo and soap are solid bars in tins.  They last as long as a bottle, but are lighter and more compact.

Her best bet would probably to fine tune a wardrobe before she goes to get maximum wear out of different pieces.  If she can pack a week's worth that doesn't look like it's the same thing over and over, she'll be good.

• Like 1

Ok, that added info helps.  

First, I can't speak for that region of the world, but my experience in Europe has been that people do not feel the strange need to be in a new and different outfit every day like people do in America.  

F.ex., I think I brought 6-7 sweaters to France when I studied abroad (winter-spring season).  My host mom had... 2 sweaters that I saw her wear the entire 5 months I was there, and that was totally normal.  Two good quality sweaters is probably enough for really bulky stuff.  Get wool.  

I'd invest in a pair of attractive but useful waterproof boots.  I happen to love Keens for comfort, function, and look.  Wear these onto the plane and pack a pair of sneakers.  

A few pairs of jeans and leggings (or whatever her style is), a dress-up-or-down black skirt, and a stack of t-shirrts/blouses/tanks to layer.  Ideally, you want everything to match everything else.  Don't pack any shirts that can only go with one of the pants, and vice-versa.  

Invest in a good rain jacket, preferably knee-length, a warm knit cap, and maybe one of those ultra packable down vests or jackets that smoosh down into nothing.  It can go on the plane hooked to a carabiner on her bag and serve as a pillow as well.  Most of those jackets/vests pack down into their own pocket or attached bag.  It can be worn alone on dry days, under the rain jacket on wet days.  

• Like 4

Another few tips:

Encourage her to pack as though she were only going for two weeks.  Really, most of us wear the same 10 outfits over and over, and the difference between 4 months and two weeks worth of clothes is negligible.  

I wouldn't pack more than a travel size of most toiletries, assuming she'll have access there.  

• Like 7

You said she has Reynauds. I do not know anything about that, but if she carries meds, I would consider checking on any medication disclosure requirements for the country(ies) she is entering/traveling through. It is probably no big deal, but better to be on the safe side and be aware of the nations' requirements for disclosure and whether or not they require doctors' notes to accompany it.

I personally like to travel with a cross-body bag (hands free) and it keeps all my important things at my front, rather than on my back as a backpack does. There are a few that are impervious to knives (some pick-pockets have been know to slit holes in bags and empty the contents), but that is not a requirement. I tend to like ones that have zipper closures, as flaps only still have areas thieves' hands can enter.

Photo copies of her passport. Cash on her person, but not all in the same spot. If she does not yet have a credit card with a chip...the chip is required at most places now abroad.

For toiletries, just small versions of what she uses anyways for travel and then she can buy what she needs over there.

Whatever shoes she isn't wearing, should be stuffed with socks and underwear. Roll clothing. I second those puffy coats that go down into near nothing. They are so warm and do a great job.

If she is taking her smart phone (I'm assuming she has one), I would upgrade her screen cover (Zagg) and outer cover to make it more resistant to drops and scratches.

Lastly, I like to know the location of the U.S. Embassies and/or consulates in the nations/cities I am visiting. Just in case.

• Like 1

You said she has Reynauds. I do not know anything about that, but if she carries meds, I would consider checking on any medication disclosure requirements for the country(ies) she is entering/traveling through. It is probably no big deal, but better to be on the safe side and be aware of the nations' requirements for disclosure and whether or not they require doctors' notes to accompany it.

I personally like to travel with a cross-body bag (hands free) and it keeps all my important things at my front, rather than on my back as a backpack does. There are a few that are impervious to knives (some pick-pockets have been know to slit holes in bags and empty the contents), but that is not a requirement. I tend to like ones that have zipper closures, as flaps only still have areas thieves' hands can enter.

Photo copies of her passport. Cash on her person, but not all in the same spot. If she does not yet have a credit card with a chip...the chip is required at most places now abroad.

For toiletries, just small versions of what she uses anyways for travel and then she can buy what she needs over there.

Whatever shoes she isn't wearing, should be stuffed with socks and underwear. Roll clothing. I second those puffy coats that go down into near nothing. They are so warm and do a great job.

If she is taking her smart phone (I'm assuming she has one), I would upgrade her screen cover (Zagg) and outer cover to make it more resistant to drops and scratches.

Lastly, I like to know the location of the U.S. Embassies and/or consulates in the nations/cities I am visiting. Just in case.

I agree re: passport photocopies.  Make sure you have one at home and she has one in her checked bag.  It's relatively straight-forward to replace a lost/stolen passport at the embassy if you have a photocopy.  If everything is lost, you would be able to fax or email a copy from home for her.  If her passport has a special visa for her travel abroad, photocopy that page as well.  

• Like 1

GSM phone, Unlocked if the phone has radios for the GSM bands shown on this web page. She will probably need a different charger, for different voltage and with a different plug on the end of the cable. If she doesn't have a phone with these bands, they are probably available inexpensively in supermarkets and other places, as they are here in Colombia.

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/21804/~/vodafone-nz-mobile-network-frequencies

"For visitors to New Zealand - if your mobile phone operates on one of these frequencies and is not locked to your home network, you should be able to use your phone on our network. Check with your home country service provider before you depart. If you have been set up to Global Roam to New Zealand you will be able to switch on your mobile and use it."

Link for visitors to NZ from the above URL:  More about visiting New Zealand with your mobile >

She isn't bad enough to take medication for Raynaud's but her asthma and severe allergies and fibromyalgia are issues. We have already done the legwork on most of the medication and I am awaiting an email about the last one. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I am calling them. She is fine with bringing about two weeks worth of clothes. Thank you for the reminders about the passport photocopies. I know she has a visa and is going to print it out and put it in her passport and also carry a copy elsewhere and leave one here too.

Suggest to her that she get as much exercise as is possible (walking up/down the aisle, without interfering with the flight attendants, so not when they are in the aisle, serving meals, etc.).   Tell her to stay very hydrated. the aircraft will be up high and the humidity is lower. Drink lots of Soft Drinks from Cans or bottles.  Avoid Coffee and Tea because of possible water contamination in the truck that delivers water to the aircraft or in the aircraft. Water from a bottle is safe. Soft drinks from a bottle are safe. Soft drinks from a can are safe.  

We print out 2 copies of the Boarding Passes for each flight. I assume one copy will be taken by the Gate Agent. That doesn't always happen.  The other copy is in case there is a problem and someone else claims the same seat.  Also, the 2nd one is for Frequent Flyer Miles.

Be sure that she is enrolled in the Frequent Flyer program of the airline operating the aircraft if she bought her ticket from them, or, if it is a "code share", in the program of the airline she bought the ticket from.  Lots of miles on that long haul flight, in 2 directions...

ETA: Tell her to take it VERY easy. With many hours of time difference, there will be a lot of "jet lag".  That is normal. The first few days, especially, she should take it real easy. It will probably take her a week or 2, to get back to normal.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

My daughter spent a semester in New Zealand at the University of Otago.  She was there at the same time of year as your daughter will be.

One odd suggestion:  See if your daughter can find out about laundry facilities.  Dryers were cost prohibitive to use in NZ and are rare in South Korea where my daughter is currently working.  My daughter has a new found attachment to clothes made with modal which dry soft rather than stiff when not using a dryer.

I'd also recommend some long underwear for your daughter.  I'd suggest silk which is very lightweight.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

She is going from July 5th to November 19th? From many people's warnings that New Zealander's don't heat as high as typical in the US and her having Raynauds, we need to keep her warm. She is coming in their coldest month and leaving in mid Spring. Even in summer there, it isn't warm. She is used to warmer weather having lived here in AL and TN these last 6 years. But it doesn't snow where she will be studying, just cold rain. She is going to be studying at Wellington University.

Today's the shortest day of the year here in NZ & we are heading into our coldest part of the year.  Wellington is wet & windy, so not known for being warm.  I grew up in VT & have felt much colder here in NZ during the winters because of the high humidity & lack of insulation & indoor heating.  I live in Northland where we get only a 2-3 frosts on a really bad winter & we have citrus fruit ripe in the back yard during the winter.  

She will want to dress in layers, usually 2-3 layers indoor & an extra wind/water proof layer when outside.  Wool is the best choice for winter tops.  She can get merino undershirts, tops, & sweaters here at reasonable prices if she doesn't have wool tops.  Slippers are important for keeping warm indoors.  We find electric blankets help to warm the bed for sleeping.  If she is staying in the hostels (dorms) this might not be allowed, though, as ds#2 wasn't allowed electric blankets at Massey Uni hostels last year.  

Air NZ is very strict on weight limits for carry-ons, so make sure her carry-on bags are less than 7kgs.

HTH

• Like 1

She already knows from others who have been there that they are more formal in university than here.

That hasn't been the experience of my dd & ds#2, but they studied in Tauranga & Palmerston North, not Wellington.  Wellington is  an artsy city with a popular cafe culture.  Ds#2 goes to Wellington often during the year for hockey training/games, to watch big name sports matches, catch up with friends studying there, etc.  If your dd has one nice dress & a nice pair of dress pants & a couple nice tops she should be fine. Other than that uni students dress the same as what I've seen in the States (jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc.)  

Puffer jackets (what I grew up calling down jackets) are very popular here in NZ & would pack up real small in a suitcase.  If your dd forgets something she should be able to get it here easily as we have many of the same brands that I find in the US.  Chargers for cell phones, etc can easily be picked up here.  Most tablets & cell phones have chargers that have USB at one side, so it's as simple as getting the plug in part to put the USB into to make it work.  Most shops that sell computers will have chargers that will work with laptops.  

Make sure she does bring a copy of any precriptions she takes needs for her allergies & asthma.  

Wellington is a city of hills & public transport & walking are the main means of transport around the city.  She will want a good bag for carrying what she wants during the day.  Wellington is also built on a major fault line, so have her have a bag that she can grab in case she needs to get out fast if an earthquake hits.  In November last year a big EQ hit Kaikoura in the South Island that had people as far away as Palmerston North evacuating buildings.  Ds#2 was happy as he ended up having one of his final exams cancelled while they checked the buildings for damage.  Dh worked in Christchurch after the big EQs & he always had a bag ready to grab if another big one hit.  Luckily he never needed to use it.

Edited by Deb in NZ
  • Like 2

I forgot about charging a cell phone from a PC.  I rarely do that.   That's another way...

If she is taking a laptop, probably the AC Charger will have the necessary Voltage range,  but she will need a different cable, to go from the AC charger to the wall, with a different plug on the end of the cable.

• Like 1