Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW25: June Solstice

Robin M

Wait, what's the fourth? :)

If people like the idea, I can compile everything in this post so we don't have overlapping lists. I can do a quick scan back over this week's list to see if anyone's already posted what they're doing. If I get anything wrong, let me know, and for anyone who I've missed (that will probably be a lot), just post and I'll add it here. :) Okay, I'll fess up, I love to make lists... ;)

War and Peace read-a-long:

Maude: Matryoshka, Stacia(1), JennW, M--, Penguin, Mumto2...

P/V: Lady Florida, Jane in NC, Strawberries...

Briggs: Scoutermom, Stacia(2), RobinM...

Dutch (Bloemen & Wiebes): Loesje, Tress

I have the Maude on my kindle and on audible and also have the Dunnigan hard copy.

• Like 9

I've finished three contemporary romances lately and have enjoyed them all.  (Adult content) ~

On Broken Wings (A Wild Aces Romance)  by Chanel Cleeton

"A year after losing her husband, Joker, the squadron commander of the Wild Aces, Dani Peterson gets an offer from his best friend, Alex “Easy†Rogers, to help fix up her house. Dani accepts, and their friendship grows—along with an undeniable attraction.

Racked by guilt for loving his best friend’s widow, Easy’s caught between what he wants and can’t have. Until one night everything changes, and the woman who’s always held his heart ends up in his arms. Yet as Easy leaves for his next deployment, he and Dani are torn between their feelings and their loyalty to Joker’s memory. 

But when Dani discovers something that sends them both into a spin, the conflicted lovers must overcome the past to navigate a future together…"

Off Base (Out of Uniform)  by Annabeth Albert

"After trading the barracks for a fixer-upper rental, navy SEAL Zack Nelson wants peace, not a roommate—especially not Pike, who sees things about Zack he most wants to hide. Pike's flirting puts virgin Zack on edge. And the questions Pike's arrival would spark from Zack's teammates about his own sexuality? Nope. Not going there. But Zack can't refuse. 

Pike Reynolds knows there won't be a warm welcome in his new home. What can he say? He's an acquired taste. But he needs this chance to get his life together. Also, teasing the uptight SEAL will be hella fun. Still, Pike has to tread carefully; he's had his fill of tourists in the past, and he can't risk his heart on another, not even one as hot, as built—and, okay, yeah, as adorable—as Zack."

AND, in the same series, At Attention (Out of Uniform)

"Lieutenant Apollo Floros can ace tactical training missions, but being a single dad to his twin daughters is more than he can handle. He needs live-in help, and he's lucky a friend's younger brother needs a place to stay. He's surprised to see Dylan all grown up with a college degree…and a college athlete's body. Apollo's widowed heart may still be broken, but Dylan has his blood heating up. 

It's been eight years since the teenage Dylan followed Apollo around like a lovesick puppy, and it's time he showed Lieutenant Hard-to-Please that he's all man now—an adult who's fully capable of choosing responsibility over lust. He can handle Apollo's muscular sex appeal, but Apollo the caring father? Dylan can't afford to fall for that guy. He's determined to hold out for someone who's able to love him back, not someone who only sees him as a kid brother."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Crime and Punishment. I admit that I had to keep a list of the character names next to me at all times to keep everyone straight. I read this in high school but I didn't remember much. I forgot that he killed 2 women. It just so happened that I was listening to the murder scene while my teen was in the car with me. He looked at me with a shocked, disgusted look on his face and asked me what the hell I was listening to. I told him a Russian classic and he shook his head claiming that his mother is demented and he is never reading a Russian book. 

• Like 13

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

The People of the River by Edgar Wallace

"Commissioner Sanders should have known better than to go on vacation. He is just a few days from his offices in British West Africa when he receives word from his second in command that trouble, always at a simmer in this jungle outpost, is about to come to a boil. He rushes home, arriving just in time for a meeting of the chiefs of his territory, who have been misled by an ambitious agitator named Bosambo into thinking that Sanders is dead. Sanders’s return staves off rebellion, but Bosambo’s power grab is not over yet. To keep the province from erupting into all-out tribal warfare, Sanders must outsmart the most brilliant chieftain in Africa.

In these rip-roaring adventures, the heroic commissioner contends with malaria, ju-ju, and the whims of government officials safely ensconced in their London offices. The People of the River is both a good-natured thrill ride and a fascinating historical document."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

A few finds while meandering around the interweb

Brainpickings -  How poetry works its magic with "This is a Poem that Heals fish "

A blast to the past. I read this to my son every night for months - Video of Goodnight Moon

Tor - Wings of Inspiration and The Beauty of Physical Writing.

Dust off your old notebook and get back into journaling - National Journal Writing month begins July 1st - the theme is place and journeys.  Or check out Quo Vadis Daily Journaling Prompts for July.

:grouphug: and  :wub:

• Like 10

W&P is easy to read & all. But, I have a question....

I feel like I'm reading a soap opera.

Is that how I'm going to feel for the remaining 1200 pages or so?

I mean, it's not bad. I know it's a classic. But I just keep hearing soap opera repeating in my mind as I'm reading. (I just finished chapter 19, fwiw.)

:leaving:

Yep! But as someone else said somewhere on line - a soap opera on a grand scale.   :laugh:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 10

W&P is easy to read & all. But, I have a question....

I feel like I'm reading a soap opera.

Is that how I'm going to feel for the remaining 1200 pages or so?

I mean, it's not bad. I know it's a classic. But I just keep hearing soap opera repeating in my mind as I'm reading. (I just finished chapter 19, fwiw.)

:leaving:

Haha. True, there's a good bit of soap opera. It probably should have been called Peace and War because it starts out with peace, then war, then a lot of back and forth throughout the rest of the novel. War and Peace rolls off the tongue easier, at least in English anyway.

War and Peace has it all though. It's a soap opera. It's a love story. It's a war story. It's a social commentary (of that time and place). 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

A blast to the past. I read this to my son every night for months - Video of Goodnight Moon

Dh did the night time read alouds in our house because it was a way for him to spend time with ds after working all day. They read Goodnight Moon repeatedly. They had a running challenge to spot the mouse on each page. It was bittersweet for dh once ds reached the point where he already knew the mouse's location on each page.

• Like 9

I'm pretty sure I've seen some Briggs readers in the mix, too!  I don't think I've seen anyone saying they're reading the Garnett, though? It might be fun for someone to tally who's reading along and what translation. 

Like:

Maude: Matryoshka...

P/V:       Lady Florida, Jane in NC...

Briggs:  ...?

I have Maude for the maps and general reference and Garnett for the actual reading experience. Am back from the Maine woods and ready to start Tolstoy. While on vacation, I started reading Andrew Kaufman's Why Give War and Peace a Chance: Tolstoyan Wisdom for Troubled Times on my Kindle. Nice companion piece to reading W&P.

Amy - You and yours are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

For those who can't or don't have time to read his book, here's Kaufman's very abbreviated version.

7 Reasons You Should Give 'War and Peace' a Chance

Oh wow! I almost wish I hadn't dived into the book version.

I keep searching for the Garnett translation of W&P on Goodreads and all I can find is the Maude translation. Has anyone had any luck finding different translations on Goodreads?

Oh wow! I almost wish I hadn't dived into the book version.

I keep searching for the Garnett translation of W&P on Goodreads and all I can find is the Maude translation. Has anyone had any luck finding different translations on Goodreads?

Did you try typing in your ISBN?  Anyway, I found a Garnett translation on Goodreads for you; have no idea if it's the same cover you have, but hopefully that will work for you... :)

• Like 6

Wait, what's the fourth? :) Aha... Ethel Mertz is reading Garnett! :)

If people like the idea, I can compile everything in this post so we don't have overlapping lists. I can do a quick scan back over this week's list to see if anyone's already posted what they're doing. If I get anything wrong, let me know, and for anyone who I've missed (that will probably be a lot), just post and I'll add it here. :) Okay, I'll fess up, I love to make lists... ;)

War and Peace read-a-long:

Maude: Matryoshka, Stacia(1), JennW, M--, Penguin, Mumto2, Mothersweets, Violet Crown...

P/V: Lady Florida, Jane in NC, Strawberries...

Briggs: Scoutermom, Stacia(2), RobinM...

Garnett: Ethel Mertz...

Dutch (Bloemen & Wiebes): Loesje, Tress

I'm reading Maude! Just verrry slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

No one will be at all surprised to hear that I am a Daddy Long Legs fan. It's one my mom handed to me at some point. Dd loved it as a preteen too.

I had no idea that Jean Webster was a niece of Mark Twain. That definitely would have made my radar screen because my favourite teacher growing up was also related to him. Second cousins (I think)....she was a young child when he died. She was quite elderly but absolutely fabulous. She had retired once from somewhere else but came back to teach my class because of a huge teacher shortage. She read Tom Sawyer as a read aloud.

It's the long lead in to the good part. I saw the movie first so suspected it was worth the wait. I have actually reread it a couple of times since and am always shocked at how boring the start is.

I had a teacher who read us Moby Dick and The Old Man and the Sea in the 4th grade. Remember when public school teachers actually had time to do long read-alouds? I grew up in the sixties and it was quite a different world with different goals and expectations. Your post made me smile.

• Like 10