Menu

What is a good Android fitness tracker?

Ottakee

I am considering a fitness tracker. I hear a lot about fitbits but I have an Android phone and no iPads/iPods,etc.

Is there a good basic sturdy beginner model? My wrist is bigger for a woman but I don't want something super clunky either.

Not really interested in all of the social media/Sharing stuff. This will be more for private tracking.

What works well and is easy to use but budget friendly.

• Like 1

I know Fitbits have a good reputation, but I like my Garmin Vivofit 2 a lot. It tracks steps, distance, calories(probably not reliable but most aren't), and sleep. I only have androids and the big plus for me was that I don't have to charge it. It uses a watch battery. I've had it a few months now and it's great!

There aren't as many bands if you think you want to exchange for a prettier one or such. I got mine when it hit $40 on amazon watching through camelcamelcamel.

• Like 2

Maybe I googled the wrong thing but it seemed to say there were a lot of issues using a Fitbit with an Android.

huh. I've had it for years with an android phone and no problems. I only switched to an  iPhone in the last few months.

I have two fitbits and use them with my android phone with no problem.

One is the Flex II, which is the only one that is fully waterproof, suitable for swimming or boating.  You can also buy a pendant or bangle to move it into for everyday use, which I really like.  It's quite sleek. but the regular bands are unisex so they are reasonable in size for anyone.  It doesn't track heart rate, but it does track steps and sleep; and you can set it up with reminders and/or notifications from your phone if you want.

I'm confused - did you want a fitness tracker app for your phone?  I've used several on two different phones, walk droid / pacer / walk logger - and the phones were VERY different in how responsive they were.  I gave up on using my phone (which you must have with you in a place where it will actually register.) and bought a fitbit.

I now have a fitbit alta - which is slim.  it has a digital display of time (can be used as a watch), steps, distance. . . I got it off amazon - probably a closed box return (look for "other offers") - it was A LOT cheaper than costco.   it plugs into my computer to charge.  there are two cheaper versions - one only has "dots", you have to go to your computer/phone to get any actual data.  one is clunky, the band is separate - and the resolution was big dots that I knew I would hate.

don't bother with the heart rate monitor - it's not accurate.  I also have a large wrist - so I got the large.   it's plenty big. you can buy replacement bands in the silicon/rubber/whatever it is - or metal.  I bought a pack of two replacement bands for $10 incl. shipping off amazon - they come in many colors.

eta: I have no issues using my fitbit with my android phone.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have a Garmin running watch that also doubles as my smartwatch/activity tracker. I have an iPhone, but that's just how I access the Garmin Connect App. There's an Android version of the app and a web based version as well.

There are lots of things I like about it, but the ones that most apply to your situation is the activity tracking. I like that I let the Garmin set my step goal and that it adjusts according to my activity. The first couple of days I had it, I didn't meet my goal so Garmin adjusted it down. Then when I meet my goal, Gamin adjusts it up depending on how much I exceed my goal by. So far I've met my step goal for 36 days in a row. It started at 10k, went down to 9k, and then has steadily increased since then. It challenges me not to just be active, but to be a little more active today than I was yesterday.

There are also step challenges you can join and I have joined one every week. I don't have to interact with those people and I have no idea who they are, but since I have discovered that I can be a little bit, uh, competitive it has also been a good motivator. Come Sunday night if I'm behind by a couple thousand steps at 7pm? It's an incredibly helpful motivator.

Dh has a Garmin and we plan on getting the Vivofit Jr for the girls and a Vivofit3 for ds so that we can compete against each other. I still plan on beating them all. Bwahahaha. Ahem. I mean, I want the device to encourage everyone to be more active and develope healthy, life long habits. ;)

I got mine from Heart Rate Monitors USA. If you think you might buy more than one device, their loyalty program and return customer coupon codes are really helpful.

OK, so fitbit will work with a Droid phone.  So, is Fitbit the way to go?  I did the quiz thing and it suggested the Alta or the Charge 2.

I hate making decision for things that you really can't try before you buy, etc.

OK, so fitbit will work with a Droid phone.  So, is Fitbit the way to go?  I did the quiz thing and it suggested the Alta or the Charge 2.

I hate making decision for things that you really can't try before you buy, etc.

Alta is more narrow/less clunky. 

I love my Fitbit Blaze.  Both dh & I have one connected to Android phones with no problem.

It may be a bit bigger than you want but I wanted it for the extra features.

I have a lot of really cute bands purchased on Amazon for under $10 to mix and match with whatever outfit I'm wearing.