Menu

S/O from Fleas -- anything safe and effective to treat yard for mosquitoes?

PrincessMommy

I cannot step outside these days without getting chewed up!  Went out my granddaughter yesterday in the late morning and we both immediately had bites.  I quickly took her back inside.  Unfortunately, she gets awful looking welts. My daughter has to cover them with band-aides because they get so bad looking and they hurt.   I think all my concern about fleas is mostly because we've been chewed up by mosquitoes.

Is there anything I can use on my yard?  Our backyard is North facing and we back up to wooded parkland.   We have no sitting water on our property but we're pretty close to all our neighbors.  I have no idea what they do. 

Edited by PrincessMommy

I have never found anything "natural" to effectively remedy mosquitos here. Like cedar mulch etc. Just doesn't cut it. We use something called cyonara which is an insecticide you attach to a hose and spray on your yard. Mosquitoes carry so many pathogens in this case I will happily spray the lawn down to protect my family. You can spray it in the morning and then it dries very quickly in the sun. It lasts a few days. We also have used the Cutter brand fogger around our pool area as it's easy and fast. Those both are pretty effective without having to slather the kids in deep woods off (which doesn't stay on when they're in and out of the pool anyway).

Some people will suggest a bat house. TThose might help- we have naturally occurring bats that live around our pasture. While I'm sure they make a dent, it's no where near enough to make our house pleasant for going outside in the summer. My kids used to react like your granddaughter. The pedi called it "skeeter syndrome" and said it wasn't anything to worry about, but it looked horrible. They'd have to have Rx cortisone to put on it. They did eventually outgrow it to where we aren't dealing with bites that swell to the size of 50 cent pieces.

Anyway, that's how we cope down here in coastal Texas.

There's a mosquito zapper that's highly rated on Amazon it's like $50-$60 or so.

DH just bought it. It can work on its own or you can buy the octinol inserts which cost $30 or so and those attract the mosquitoes to the zapper. The chemical somehow mimics carbon dioxide, which is what attracts mosquitoes to us.

The idea with both is to disrupt the lifecycle and reproductive cycle of the mosquitoes and ultimately lessen them.

I cannot step outside these days without getting chewed up!  Went out my granddaughter yesterday in the late morning and we both immediately had bites.  I quickly took her back inside.  Unfortunately, she gets awful looking welts. My daughter has to cover them with band-aides because they get so bad looking and they hurt.   I think all my concern about fleas is mostly because we've been chewed up by mosquitoes.

Is there anything I can use on my yard?  Our backyard is North facing and we back up to wooded parkland.   We have no sitting water on our property but we're pretty close to all our neighbors.  I have no idea what they do. 

If she has an over reaction to mosquito bites, there is a (admittedly TERRIBLE) name for that.  My daughter reacts the same way.  She got preventatively treated for Lyme disease once before we figured it out.

http://www.skeetersyndrome.net/

• Like 1

Nothing is fool proof. I spray the yard with stuff from Lowes and also plant a variety of repellant plants in pots for my deck. It all helps some. I'm thinking about getting a bug zapper. I plant lavender, lemongrass, citronella plants, and mint. There are more plants that supposedly help. The lemongrass and citronella are nice because you can pull off a piece and rub it on yourself too.

• Like 1

My parents have two Mosquito Magnets for their acre yard. They catch mosquitos by the pounds. They are kind of pricy and you have the ongoing expense of propane but it does seem to work pretty well.

Here's a link: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com

I'm not sure which one my parents have, they have owned them for several years.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Since reading this thread I've killed 3 mosquitoes. I'd love a solution. We live up in N. BC where the mosquitoes fly in swarms. The other night we had at least 25 sitting on our screen door. OFF on the screen door helps when they're particularly bad. My dd1 looks like she has chicken pox and that's even with the homemade mosquito net I made for her pack 'n play bed.

Yes, Cutter Naturals is a blend of essential oils, mostly lemongrass and some minty one..  maybe wintergreen?  Anyway, you mow the lawn short, then you go out, attach the spray bottle to a hose, and water your lawn with it.  If you do it in the right light (so you can see them), CLOUDS of mosquitoes and gnats will swarm away from your lawn.  And later flocks of birds will feast on the dead bugs in your lawn for a good two days.

We always had DH (the applicator) take a shower afterwards because some of those oils have mild estrogen-like effects. And kept kids & pets off for at least an hour afterwards (or until dried).  But it smells fantastic and makes a HUGE difference in bugs.  The problem is it only lasts until the next rain or about a week, and the bottles can be difficult to find.  Best source I've found is Walmart garden center, but I usually buy them out because they are hit-or-miss for stock.  Don't bother with the aerosol fogger for the deck, it's worthless compared to the lawn spray stuff.

To a lesser extent, food grade Diatomaceous Earth (purchased in bulk from Amazon) dusted around the yard also works to control some bugs, but is not as effective and a heavy dew can make it seem to disappear.

When several of us got lyme in our own backyard we did repeat applications of both for the rest of the summer, and rarely saw bugs after that. 

Oh, also consider getting rid of pretty vines.  The Virginia Creeper we had on the fence was covered in bugs, including mosquitoes sheltering in the shade there.

ETA:  We've used it at multiple houses near standing water (creeks with plenty of side puddles) and it works for us. 

Edited by Katy

My parents have two Mosquito Magnets for their acre yard. They catch mosquitos by the pounds. They are kind of pricy and you have the ongoing expense of propane but it does seem to work pretty well.

Here's a link: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com

I'm not sure which one my parents have, they have owned them for several years.

Was coming to post this. My in laws just gave us one of these, and we used it for the first time today.   I absolutely noticed a difference. It's wonderful.   Went from being not able to step into the shade without getting bit to having a pleasant yard that I can hang out in. 

• Like 1