Menu

Guess what... our second pony baby arrived today...

creekland

I went out this evening to do chores and make a "basic" check on our other pregnant mare - only to be surprised with our second filly, chestnut this time.

With the way she's been looking (a couple weeks off at least) and with today's heat, I haven't been outside since this morning's chores - so - have no idea when this baby arrived.  I'm beginning to think I should hang my head in shame as an experienced breeder missing the time by so much and suspect the heat had something to do with both babies early arrivals.  The other mare looked ready though.  This one did not.  Our foals are usually due in the spring, not early summer.  This year we delayed due to middle son's graduation.  I knew summer babies often come early, but... yeah.  I'll know for next year!

And... we're still waiting for the placenta to be expelled, but this time with no clue how many hours it's been.   :cursing:    I'm giving mama an hour in the barn away from my other pony so she can feel like she can rest from protection duties.  Then I'll see if there's any progress.

Our buckskin stallion did not pass along his cream gene this year... Gotta talk to that boy. :glare:   The last couple of years we've done well.  I guess this year makes up for it.

Here's our gal:

Resized_20170612_211227.jpeg

Resized_20170612_211129001.jpeg

• Like 24

Is she bigger than the first foal? She looks more filled out. Nice looking babies you have going this summer! And look on the positive side- you got to skip all the stress of the long wait! :) Congrats! 

Is she bigger than the first foal? She looks more filled out. Nice looking babies you have going this summer! And look on the positive side- you got to skip all the stress of the long wait! :) Congrats! 

She's more filled out already and a stockier build overall (mama is an APHA Paint), but I don't believe she's taller.  Both mares are 14.1hh - the other is a Welsh/TB cross.  We try (now) for large ponies and always hope they don't move into small horse category!

The other filly was running around some this evening.  She has an incredible long stride - will make a great eventer or jumper - but I don't think she's going to have the hunter trot we'd ideally like.  Last year's full brother was phenomenal.  I'll admit I was hoping for a carbon copy.  It's only been two days.  She may still be figuring out how those appendages work.

• Like 1

If you happen to catch a video of some baby whinnies you have to post! Those are some of my favorite sounds of all time. I'm so glad you post your babies' pics every year. It's been so long since I've had foals around, and probably won't, at least in the near future. I miss them. It's fun to live vicariously. Enjoy for me! 

If you happen to catch a video of some baby whinnies you have to post! Those are some of my favorite sounds of all time. I'm so glad you post your babies' pics every year. It's been so long since I've had foals around, and probably won't, at least in the near future. I miss them. It's fun to live vicariously. Enjoy for me!

Yes! Do this please! I've never heard baby whinnies and would love to!

• Like 1

Yay for another baby! Another answer to prayer.

Definitely!  After a couple more days if all is still well, I'm freed up to travel as much as need be for major parental health issues.  We rarely do much in baby training until after they are weaned anyway.  They get to be kids for a little bit, and with as close as they are together in age (2 days), they'll have a blast.

:001_tt1:

Did she pass the placenta?

Yes, overnight.  This baby had to have been born in the later afternoon or early evening, so while not as quick as we would have liked, I think all will be well.

At this point, I'm a little concerned if there's enough milk.  I think so, but this baby keeps going back to nurse and not staying there long.  That concerns me, esp coming early.  Always something to watch...

They're both SO adorable! 💕 I'm not sure if you're taking votes here, :) but I think this baby is Tidal Treasure. Your baby from a couple of days ago is most definitely Pirate Passage. :)

I'm sorry to disappoint, but the family has pretty much agreed to use Tidal Treasure for our first baby (barn name of Ty) and Memory Matrix for the second (barn name of Mem).  This is due to the games themselves.  

Tidal Treasures is a memory game where you have to click on items and the bay filly's diamond shaped star looks just like it would fit in with that game.  

Memory Matrix is a memory game where you have to remember patterns of colored tiles.  In the chestnut filly's broad white stripe there are a couple of chestnut spots that look just like the tiles in the matrix.

I'm going to miss not having a Pirate Passage though.  I liked that name.  My guys all thought that fit a colt better... very akin to that thread we had (have?) on gender + associated roles.   :glare:

We can't use it next year either.  We have themes for names each year and Lumosity's theme is 2017.  Having themes helps us remember who were siblings and which year they were foaled.  This doesn't seem like such a big deal with just two, but we used to have 4-7 each year and after 18 years... themes sure help.

Yes! Do this please! I've never heard baby whinnies and would love to!

I'll see if hubby can get some.  He likes to get short films when they start running around together and sometimes they will talk to each other.  We love watching babies play together...

• Like 6

We can't use it next year either.  We have themes for names each year and Lumosity's theme is 2017.  Having themes helps us remember who were siblings and which year they were foaled.  This doesn't seem like such a big deal with just two, but we used to have 4-7 each year and after 18 years... themes sure help.

I love the idea of using a different theme each year.  :)  If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the other themes you've used?

I love the idea of using a different theme each year.  :)  If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the other themes you've used?

Off the top of my head (meaning I KNOW I'm missing some ;)  ), Greece, Bahamas, California, Florida, National Parks, Occupations, Famous Ships, Space, and Colleges the boys have attended (this accounts for three different years).  That's 11 years - 12 if you count this year.  I don't quite remember when we got the idea and my records aren't at my fingertips to look at right now, so I'm not sure how many I'm missing.  It definitely makes things easier to remember.  As I'm thinking of themes, I have ponies running through my mind.   :coolgleamA:

ETA:  Duh, Hawaii was also a theme.  I thought of that as soon as I hit post... 'cause another pony (C's Mauna Kea) ran through my mind.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

Ok, "Mem" did not work as a barn name.  We've already changed that to "Trix" and could end up with "Trixie" - just because.  We're debating between "Ty" and "Treas" too.  Some words are just easier to use than others I suppose.  Either that or we're language challenged.   :lol:

• Like 1