Menu

New (pony) baby...

creekland

First one (of two) arrived this morning.  We had just checked her mama a little after 10am at the end of chores.  When we went out again at 11:30 the new filly was here and standing.  We were heading to lunch actually, not really checking on her since mares almost always foal at night and she didn't look that close.  Shows what we know.    :lol:

The mare hasn't passed her placenta though.   :glare:  We need that to happen relatively soon.  It should have happened already, but a call to our vet said to give her another 2-3 hours - so we're leaving her alone (with her foal of course) and waiting.

Meanwhile...

20170610_113742.jpg

• Like 32

She's a bay filly.  Nice star on her face.  We're debating between three names for this year (only expecting two foals now that we've sold down).  All names come from Lumosity games (something we started and are enjoying this year).

We've got:

Tidal Treasure

Memory Matrix

Pirate Passage

We might wait to see what our other foal is before deciding.  That one is due within a month...  I really like Tidal Treasure, but if the next one were to be a buckskin, the name would fit better.  I also really like Pirate Passage, but that honestly seems better for a colt since the majority of pirates were guys.  Memory Matrix is neat, but my personal third choice.  Middle son is off at a graduation party (not his!).  We'll convene to see what we think.

• Like 3

So cute.    Now the hard part.....waiting to see if you need the vet.

I got an emergency call from a friend at 6:30am as she had a horse that was off that has a history of colic.  I got dressed and drove the banamine over (she had lent her tube to another friend).....got there and just as we were measuring out the dosage the horse pooped and ran away bucking and kicking up his heels..............

• Like 5

So cute.    Now the hard part.....waiting to see if you need the vet.

I got an emergency call from a friend at 6:30am as she had a horse that was off that has a history of colic.  I got dressed and drove the banamine over (she had lent her tube to another friend).....got there and just as we were measuring out the dosage the horse pooped and ran away bucking and kicking up his heels..............

I just went out and checked her again.  Nothing has changed.  (sigh)  She's my very shot phobic mare, so if the vet needs to get involved, it's not likely to be pretty.  I have to be super careful and trick her just to get prefoaling shots in every year.  The other mare people could practice giving shots too.  One has to wonder "why" sometimes, no?

• Like 1

ps  She's going to be tall too - hopefully not too tall to be a pony still.  Her knees and hocks are almost on par with mama's and mama is 14.1hh.  Large ponies are still in demand.  Small horses, not so much.  Time will tell.  In a couple of days I'll know how she moves and how she looks (from a show perspective).  Her siblings have been awesome, so she has a bit to live up to.

Congrats!! Can't wait for more pics!

When I first started breeding an old timer told me to look at the babies at 3 days, 3 months, and 3 years.  I laughed... but he was right.  That really is when they look their best, so... that's when we tend to take pics.  ;)  From a sales perspective, it doesn't help to have not-so-flattering pics wandering around on the web as not every buyer understands how youngsters grow.

And... we just called the vet.  I don't look forward to trying to get her to be patient enough for a shot when she's already got maternal hormones running strong telling her to protect her foal.  She's a more protective mare to start with and her shot phobia is going to make this super tricky.  But... she can't keep that placenta inside and if we wait until she's feeling awful enough to let us work on her it's pushing it with "too late."  

This is why it's not a good idea to "just let nature take care of it."  Many times nature is just fine and all is well.  When it's not - like now - it can be deadly.  We had a buyer buy a pregnant broodmare once, assuring us they knew how to handle foaling.  Not long afterward they called us to come help.  They had let a mare go overnight with a foal nose poking out.  Foals are born front FEET first, not headfirst.  We were lucky we could save the mare (with a vet, of course).  Yeah, they knew about foaling all right.  :cursing:   :banghead:   Some memories aren't forgotten.  I won't do that again (a similar sale).

• Like 2

Any updates on mama and baby?

Just got back in.  The vet was on his way when mama passed the placenta, so that turned out fine (phew!).  She needs a week of antibiotics as a precautionary deal, but that's easy to add to her food instead of shots.  Baby let me spend time rubbing her while she was semi-napping, so I took advantage of that.  Her mama let me do it too!  Other years her mama has been far more protective.  Perhaps like us humans she's mellowing out with her parenting style as she gets more experience.   :lol:

Baby is young yet being 18 days early, so we'll keep tabs on her.  One always has to the first few days anyway.  Over the years we've only lost one as an "infant" though, so I'm hopeful all will be well.

Here's one more pic I took from tonight.  Note that newborn ponies are thin anyway (easier to deliver), but she's quite early and like humans a bit of weight is added at the end of gestation.  If all is well, she'll gain weight super quickly.

20170610_201112.jpeg

• Like 12

All is well today too.  That's the first big, PHEW!

At this point baby loves me too - naturally friendly (only to me though - not "humans" in general yet).  That doesn't often happen, esp with a protective type mama who warns her youngsters to stay away from everyone and everything.  Baby's friendliness could wane for a bit if mama tells her stories.  Time will tell.  They all come around eventually, so that part doesn't matter much TBH, but it is nice having a baby come up for a scratch on her neck!

One morning picture as she discovered the Great Outdoors (briefly due to heat and flies).  She's already putting weight on and getting rid of that scrawny "just born" look.  Her ears still need to unfold a little bit.

20170611_103120001002.jpeg

• Like 17