Menu

Half an egg in cookie dough?

Night Elf

I'm in the mood to bake and I only have basic ingredients so I thought I'd try sugar cookies. All the recipes I'm finding make 3 or 4 dozen. I want to half that, but these recipes call for one egg. Can I just beat an egg and eyeball it? What happens if I get too much egg or not enough?

I don't have any chocolate chips so I can't make those, although I've been a chocolate chip cookie failure the past few times I've tried them so I'm not inclined to try again. I'd like to try something else.

Sure, beat an egg and put it in a measuring cup, and use half. 

I think that a large egg = about 1/4 cup of liquid.  

ETA: I thought I had seen that in a King Arthur Flour recipe, but I can't find it online.  But anyway, just use a measuring cup.  A little either way won't make much difference I don't think.

Edited by marbel

Make the full recipe then freeze half the dough for another time.

Sometimes I do this.  If you portion out the dough into cookie-sizes balls, freeze it on a cookie sheet till firm, then put in a ziplock or other container and keep in the freezer,  you can take  out enough to make just one or two cookies whenever you want.   

ETA: Ziplock will work fine.  Just push all the air out.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I like to take what is left and roll it into a log shape. Wrap in plastic wrap or what not, then put in a baggie or wrap in another layer of plastic or foil. When baking thaw just a bit, so you can slice it like the kind you buy at the store in a tube. Makes it easy!

• Like 2

Sometimes I do this.  If you portion out the dough into cookie-sizes balls, freeze it on a cookie sheet till firm, then put in a ziplock or other container and keep in the freezer,  you can take  out enough to make just one or two cookies whenever you want.   

ETA: Ziplock will work fine.  Just push all the air out.

This is what we do. Then you can bake just the number of cookies you want to eat, and they're hot and fresh! 

• Like 1

Sure, beat an egg and put it in a measuring cup, and use half.

I think that a large egg = about 1/4 cup of liquid.

ETA: I thought I had seen that in a King Arthur Flour recipe, but I can't find it online. But anyway, just use a measuring cup. A little either way won't make much difference I don't think.

Yes. One large egg should be about 1/4c, mix it and use 2Tbsp.