Menu

Quick, healthy lunch ideas for lots of littles

mykidsrmyjoy

I need some fresh inspiration for lunch ideas. I love to cook but feel like so much of my day is spent in the kitchen. I normally make a full breakfast every morning and almost always cook supper except for Wed. which is leftovers night. I prefer healthy cooking and eating and try to avoid most processed foods. Throw 5 kids ages 8,6, 4,3, and 1 into the mix and it gets rather complicated! We're all tired of sandwiches but what is faster or at least as fast as that? I need something that takes about 15 min. to prep and about the same amount of time to cleanup. I'm not opposed to doing some prep work the night before. Any ideas? :)

When mine were littles, I made couscous with beans/veggies/Parmesan for lunch.

Pinwheel sandwiches - a wrap with cream cheese and whatever toppings. Roll and cut.

We do nachos - load up a sheet pan with nachos, beans and cheese, then melt in oven. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomato.

• Like 2

leftovers! This is our go-to lunch staple.

hot dogs

pb (or other nut butter) on apples or bananas or celery

fruit salad and full fat yogurt or cottage cheese

homemade pizza  - pre make crust or use good store bought or any flatbread

veggies and hummus

rice and beans, topped with cheese - make ahead

cheese and crackers

bagels

pasta and pesto (add chx if you like)

egg salad

baked potatoes with toppings (longer cook time, but not hands-on)

meatballs 

kielbasa and potato skillet (leftover ones you baked before) 

lentils with a cooked grain

tuna or chx salad 

bread, cheese and olives

quiche - make ahead

omelettes (on days with no eggs for b'fast)

Well I tend to do really simple lunches - salami or leftover meat, crackers, cheese, sugar snap peas, cottage cheese, tangerines, nuts, etc. I pick four of those and plate them. Sometimes I'll get fancy and nuke a veggie or make a burrito.

It's really not hard at all, I just autopilot breakfasts and lunches with the same basic rotation and only do any creativeness or more involved new planning for dinner. Sometimes the toddler does need a different item because they can't chew it or aren't get acclimated to the food enough to not pitch a fit, but that typical of the 1-2 year old set.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Some of DS's lunch favorites:

Quesadillas

Sesame noodles: whole wheat pasta (rotini, elbows or something similar), lots of chopped up veggies like carrots, cucumbers, snow peas, celery, Annies Asian sesame dressing. Add cooked tofu or chicken. 

Couscous or quinoa with chopped up veggies and feta topped with raspberry vinegarette or similar. 

mini bagel pizzas - mini bagels, lightly toasted, topped with sauce, cheese and toppings, cook in the toaster oven for 5 more min to melt the cheese

• Like 1

When all 4 were little, so like 1.5,1.5, 4, 6, I used to do mini buffets. I kept things ready in the fridge/pantry. I would rotate:

cut up cheese sticks

cut up left over chicken

fruits

baby tomatoes

cucumbers

what ever finger foods I had leftover

some sort of cracker or bread squares or tortilla triangles

apple slices

etc.

I would use those silicone muffin cups in a tupperware (the long, wide ones) for each to fill up.  And the nice thing was I could cover whatever was left and add to it for the next day if needed.

I should go back to that, they all loved those lunches. (now I would need bigger servings obviously :lol:  at 7,7,11,14!!!) 

• Like 3

Lately we've been doing what we call "deconstructed salads," or a large platter of separate things that could reasonably go together to make a salad. Diced meats, cheeses, berries, sliced fruit, tons of veggies. People who want a healthy salad get their healthy salad, kids who flip out over mixed foods can keep it separate on their plate, the veggie eaters get their veggies, picky eaters can pick but still get a healthy, well-rounded spread. Everyone is happy. The best part is that it lasts for a few meals!

• Like 2