Menu

AP test sites that are not high schools

I search for independent study AP classes in my area which cater to homeschoolers and to those using charter school(independent study) stipends and that was how I found two private centers within easy commute distance.

You could also search the AP ledgers and see which private centers turn up then call them to ask if they offer testing. The local private centers I found are listed there.

The AP ledger link https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/

• Like 1

Total Registration is a company that handles AP testing in some parts of San Diego county.  I found them online, but also had a couple schools I called refer me to them.  

For some tests they set up testing rooms at various schools for students at that location as well as other schools.  For example the Comp Gov test didn't have any students from the school where the testing was held.

For other high demand tests, they rent out a large facility.  I think the US Government exam was at the county fairgrounds in a facility there.

They also handle AP testing in other parts of CA and in other states.  You can look to see if they work with schools near you, then email the company to see if they can accept other students.  https://www.totalregistration.net/Exam-Registration-Services/Exam-Registration-Services-Client-List.php

ETA:  To clarify, Total Registration provides different services to different schools.  In some cases all they will do is the administrative paperwork of registering students from a particular school.  In other situations, they may organize a test site for multiple schools.  It was the later situation that was the case we benefited from.   So if you are still told no, it may be a result of what services Total Registration is doing in that specific situation.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3

If you're looking for a less common AP test, I found it's worth checking with your local school first even if they don't appear to offer it. My local school has been really accommodating and will proctor any AP exam for high school students or homeschoolers. 

Total Registration is a company that handles AP testing in some parts of San Diego county.  I found them online, but also had a couple schools I called refer me to them.  

For some tests they set up testing rooms at various schools for students at that location as well as other schools.  For example the Comp Gov test didn't have any students from the school where the testing was held.

For other high demand tests, they rent out a large facility.  I think the US Government exam was at the county fairgrounds in a facility there.

They also handle AP testing in other parts of CA and in other states.  You can look to see if they work with schools near you, then email the company to see if they can accept other students.  https://www.totalregistration.net/Exam-Registration-Services/Exam-Registration-Services-Client-List.php

Wow--our local high school is on that list!  Thanks!

If you're looking for a less common AP test, I found it's worth checking with your local school first even if they don't appear to offer it. My local school has been really accommodating and will proctor any AP exam for high school students or homeschoolers. 

This is a good idea--this would be for a class not offered by the local high school, and I just assumed that the answer would be no, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks so much for this link.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I think you all are overestimating the power of Total Registration. It's a service schools use to help us register kids for AP exams. Total Registration does not decide who tests at our school. We do. It really just does the counting for us and we can also use it to bubble in our answer documents so we don't have a bubbling session. It is not a free for all register for any AP test anywhere thing.

I think you all are overestimating the power of Total Registration. It's a service schools use to help us register kids for AP exams. Total Registration does not decide who tests at our school. We do. It really just does the counting for us and we can also use it to bubble in our answer documents so we don't have a bubbling session. It is not a free for all register for any AP test anywhere thing.

This!  It is a tool for managing the registrations instead of forms.  It does not decide which tests a school will offer or who is allowed to test.  All of that still has to be arranged through the testing coordinator.  There are schools in my area on that list that I know do not allow anyone but their own students to test. 

I agree that it is not always easy.

Some schools list themselves as taking outside students, but in reality don't.

Total registration is a tool for the schools. It in no way says they will test your student.

Some schools will test your student even if they are not giving the test to anyone else.   :hurray:

Some schools say they will test your student (as they have done in years past), take your money and then a month later cancel your tests saying they changed their minds and are no longer testing homeschoolers - yes this really happened to me.  :banghead:

It varies widely by school, district and state. The AP ledger link is a great place to find names of potential schools but it sometimes is easy and other times is not.

I linked to them because we were able to register for a seldom offered test through them. This was a couple years ago, when we were doing a cross country move during registration time. It was very hard to try to arrange seats through schools. We didn't have an address, didn't know what district we'd be living in and had no sense of which schools would be helpful.

In this situation Total Registration was able to sign us up for a seat in part because they were coordinating testing for multiple schools and districts at consolidated sites.

Success will vary across the country and depend on what services they are coordinating.

Eta: fwiw several schools referred me to them and some of the coordinated testing was not done at a school. This may have been a quirk of that particular situation.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3

This!  It is a tool for managing the registrations instead of forms.  It does not decide which tests a school will offer or who is allowed to test.  All of that still has to be arranged through the testing coordinator.  There are schools in my area on that list that I know do not allow anyone but their own students to test. 

I added some clarifying info with the link to Total Registration.  It is certainly not a shoe in and there is no obligation to register outside students just because Total Registration is involved.  They aren't a private test site.  However, they were of assistance to us a few years ago, in our particular situation.