Menu

The "Hello, Dolly" Teachers Lounge 5-18-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all! Hope all is going well. 

TONIGHT is Opening Night for my girl! Wow, those two weeks since my son had his went fast!

And my son only had two performances. My daughter has four within three days! It will be a crazy few days.

And then we can breathe. Until swim team starts (in about two and a half weeks.)

Thankfully my job has me local this weekend. I will travel again in about 3 weeks. Okay, enough about all this or I may go back to bed

just to relax! LOL

Did you/do you ever listen to soundtracks, broadway or movie/tv? Here: I used to love them! I still really enjoy them, I just don't make it a point to 

listen them. Well, the Broadway musical soundtracks. I prefer to listen to instrumental movie soundtracks, especially when studying.

Are you looking forward to any movies that are about to come out in theaters? Here: I believe the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie comes out next week and Wonder Woman comes into theaters sometime after that. I'm hoping these are both relatively well-done. There seems to be a lack of truly entertaining/well-written movies lately.

Have you ever seen a production of "Hello, Dolly!"? Here: I hadn't until I discovered my daughter's theater class was doing it this semester. So now I've seen the Barbara Streisand version. I've also become aware there is a Carol Channing version and recently, Bette Midler reprised the role on Broadway.

Talk to me! :bigear:

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

Good morning! Scrap, I hope all goes well with the production!

I've never been one to listen to many soundtracks, but I have all three to the LOTR movies and listen to them in the car. I love the music almost as much as the movies. 

I'd really like to see Wonder Woman, King Arthur, Cars 3, the Planet of the Apes movie, Dunkirk, Thor, and Star Wars. There are probably others, but I'm not the best at keeping up with all that's coming out. 

I've never seen a production of it nor watched a movie of it (if one exists). Honestly, I don't even know the story. I should check it out. I'm loading up stuff for a group yard sale and taking it to a church where we're having it tomorrow, so I doubt I'll be able to soon. 

• Like 1

Replying inside your quote, since I can't figure out how to change fonts/colors on my iPad

Good morning, all! Hope all is going well.

Ehhh well enough, LOL!

TONIGHT is Opening Night for my girl!

BREAK ALL THE LEGS!

Did you/do you ever listen to soundtracks, broadway or movie/tv?

It's a way of life here! Many conversations in our house are just quotes from musicals

Are you looking forward to any movies that are about to come out in theaters?

No. Rarely is there a movie I want to pay to see, while being annoyed by rude obnoxious people in the theater who don't realize they aren't at home in their own private living room

Have you ever seen a production of "Hello, Dolly!"?

YES! Diamond was the choreographer for a local Catholic high school's production. They have been nominated for "Best Musical" in our city's National High School Musical Theater Awards program.

Talk to me! :bigear:

I'm especially proud of and impressed by Diamond's school. There is no choir or band program, and only 2 of the 9 featured dancers have ever had dance classes. So for them to put in such an amazing show and be nominated for the award is just awesome. The director, music director, and choreographer work very well together, and the kids love them.

Enjoy the show! There no blue Monday in your Sunday clothes!

• Like 2

I've never seen a production of it nor watched a movie of it (if one exists).  

It does!  It does!  My mom raised me watching musicals and that was one we watched often.  The 1969 movie version stars Barbra Streisand as Dolly.  I'm not a fan of her, but she played that part amazingly well.  One of the young men in it is played by Michael Crawford who grew up to become the Phantom!

• Like 3

I've never seen Hello, Dolly.  I'll have to look for it.  Good luck to your daughter!

I play Phantom of the Opera from time to time.  My boys aren't into musicals but they know the songs from them being played so often.   Sometimes the theme song to Once or songs from Le Miserables.  We will be seeing Jersey boys soon!  I grew up with my mom playing Frankie Vallie and my kids know the music from hearing me play it.  I should say I'm seeing it with a friend.  It sounds like the boys and I are going but that is the last thing they'd want to ever do!

Movies--I don't even know what is coming out.  It seems like whenever I want to go see a movie there is nothing playing (nothing I'm interested in).

Edited by HeWillSoar
  • Like 1

Back from running errands. Now, need to prep for an early dinner as dd's call time is 5pm, and ds and I will be hanging about waiting since

there's no point to come home for a half an hour only to turn around and go back out again.

Thankfully, the gf sweet-n-sour chicken recipe I use is relatively easy, just a bit time consuming. Well, off I go. . .

• Like 1

Didn't get the cooking done just yet because I realized I had just enough time to squeeze in some finishing touches on

one particular Thank You gift for this weekend. And, while I was doing that, had a brainstorm on what I can do for my 

nieces/nephew/friend who all got married within two months of each other - without breaking the bank!  :hurray:

• Like 1

The cell phone lot is full, short term parking is full too...am endlessly looping the airport waiting for MIL to show up at the curb with her bags.

In good news, I got the job I wanted. One day per week in a school district not far from here, and then after ds graduates, four days per week. Decent hourly pay. So I guess I now know what I am going to be when I grow up....paid mentor for robotics, rocketry, and environmental science teams and clubs, two weeks each summer music camp in the county system.

• Like 4

The cell phone lot is full, short term parking is full too...am endlessly looping the airport waiting for MIL to show up at the curb with her bags.

In good news, I got the job I wanted. One day per week in a school district not far from here, and then after ds graduates, four days per week. Decent hourly pay. So I guess I now know what I am going to be when I grow up....paid mentor for robotics, rocketry, and environmental science teams and clubs, two weeks each summer music camp in the county system.

Congrats!!

They are lucky to have you.

• Like 1

My kids quote Hello Dolly:

"Women, Barnaby, stuffed, women."

"You go your way, I'll go mine." (While pointing the same direction).

"Peanuts, unshelled. They are the expensive kind."

Being my children they had no choice. 😄 Musical comedy is one of my joys in life. I also like Barbara Streisand's voice.

• Like 3

Yay!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

Scrap, good luck to your daughter. 

Faith, Congrats on the job!  It sounds awesome.  You get to turn something you've done for your kids into a job! 

Did you/do you ever listen to soundtracks, broadway or movie/tv?

I used to listen to the soundtrack to Evita when I was in high school.  I saw the production on stage and fell in love.  I think I still can sing along to all the songs despite losing my LP in a flood 21 years ago.  And Saturday Night Fever.  Lately, dd and I have been listening to (and signing along to) Beauty and the Beast from the latest movie.  It is an instant mood lift.  Dd listens to instrumental movie soundtracks when studying.  She also uses them as "psych" music before competitions.  She had this one fun competition that had a Dungeons and Dragons theme and she made finals.  The finalists get to have a song played while they climb and she chose a soundtrack for her turn.  I can't remember which one she chose, but it was perfect for the theme.  It was a blast. 

Are you looking forward to any movies that are about to come out in theaters?

I haven't been paying close attention.  Still mourning the last season of Sherlock!  I'm tired of all the Marvel movies and I'm getting bored with all the over the top CGI action (and the over the top sound.)  I tried to read "Everything Everything" but had trouble finishing it.  The movie looks interesting. 

Have you ever seen a production of "Hello, Dolly!"?

I can't say that I have all the way through.  I don't remember the story, but can imagine the Carol Channing singing and remember Barbra's version as well. 

• Like 2