Menu

Another rabies exposure question...

StaceyinLA

Many of you responded a few months back when I asked about rabies shots because I was bitten by a stray cat. Well, I had another incident that I feel like I don't need to be concerned about, but I just wanted some input.

My daughter's little boston terrier was attacked last Saturday night. I wasn't home, but came home and found her a bloody mess. She wound up with a really severe infection and was at the vet most of the week, but she's okay. We have a lot of wound care to do for a couple weeks, but it looks like she's gonna be fine.

My question - when I found her I immediately picked her up and brought her in to give her a bath. As I was rinsing her, there was a bunch of sliminess on her back end that I am thinking was saliva from whatever attacked her. I was touching it and rubbing it softly as I poured water on it to get it off. I don't know if it was dry prior to my pouring water over it, so I don't know if the rabies (if there was any) could still be present. I also don't recall if any of it could've splashed in my eye or nose or anything like that.

Would you be concerned about this?

Edited by StaceyinLA

I doubt you're at risk for contracting rabies. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't worry. [emoji6] I think I'd talk with an experienced veterinarian about it since they encounter rabies and know the protective measures to take in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no! I'm glad your dog is going to be fine.

The rabies vaccine for animals is good for at least a year. I'm sure the rabies vaccine for humans is similar. You can call the vet, or urgent care - and you certainly should if you're worried! - but given that you've already been vaccinated and weren't bitten or scratched by this animal, I wouldn't panic.

Around here, stats are kept on rabies, and some of the decision to vaccinate or not is determined based on those stats. If you don't know what attacked the animal, I think it's a good idea to ask the vet for an opinion. The vet would know whether to alert whatever health officials keep stats to see if there has been a change or something they should be watching for. Sorry to be vague--I just don't know who that would be in your particular area, but the vet would.

• Like 4

Yeah I keep trying to check out some of our state sites to see the stats, but I'm not having much luck. I'll at least make a call on Monday.

Deep down I realize how highly unlikely it would be for it to be transmitted in this scenario, but I still can't help but think about it and worry. I'd feel a LOT better if I knew what attacked her. The two things people have mentioned as likely culprits after seeing photos are coons and coyotes, both of which are more common carriers of rabies.

Of course, we have no idea if it was either of those animals. Some people have said if it was a coyote she likely wouldn't have survived. Others said coons tend to go for the face, and she was attacked all over. Some wounds were really gaping and some were punctures. She's just a mess and there's really no way to know what got ahold of her.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I'm struck by the fact that this is twice in a short period that you've had to worry about rabies. Might it not be easier to just get the vaccine now and get it over with? I really don't think you're likely to get it, but the amount of mental energy being spent worrying about this... sheesh!

Rabies has to be transmitted through blood if I'm recalling correctly. It's not a breathing or even eating thing (like hunted animals).  It's often transmitted through bites because that puts the saliva into the bloodstream of the recipient.  Did you have any cuts?  It CAN be transmitted via handling, but without a cut or way into your bloodstream is unlikely.  When we handle suspected rabid animals, we always wear gloves and use a shovel.

If you have any sort of scratch or cut, this would rate higher on my concern level than the cat bite you had since the cat was acting normally at that time and you don't know the source or situation regarding this.  No rush though.  Calling on Monday is fine.

• Like 3

I'm struck by the fact that this is twice in a short period that you've had to worry about rabies. Might it not be easier to just get the vaccine now and get it over with? I really don't think you're likely to get it, but the amount of mental energy being spent worrying about this... sheesh!

Honestly I've considered this. We have had animals forever, but these 2 incidents have really worried me, even though I have likely had nothing to worry about in either case.

Honestly, once we quarantined the cat I was fine - it's when we couldn't find it initially after the bite that I had some concern; it wasn't a cat we had ever seen before. Of course now it lives here, and harasses our other cats on a daily basis.

I don't even know what made the saliva thing register. I have read that rabies basically "dies" when the saliva dries up; I just don't know if it was initially dry or not because I put her in the tub and when I touched it it was slimy and wet because I had poured water over it.

I know it's silly to worry, but it's just one of those things where you don't really get that second chance; if you get it, you're pretty much done.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I don't think you have anything to worry about but I'd do some online research on how it's transmitted; that may ease your mind while you are waiting to make phone calls on Monday.

Yeah I've done this, and it definitely can be transmitted by saliva (that and brain matter are the only ways), so if there was any type of cut or spot on my hands and/or if any of the saliva got near my eyes or nose, it could definitely be transmitted. Of course that still means the animal that got her would've had to be rabid in the first place, and that the saliva was still wet, and on and on. It's such a minuscule risk, but as I said in the last post, it's not one where you get a second chance.

If it's worrying you, you could call your vet even though it's Sunday and ask the vet on call if there is reason for concern.

I did that one night when our dog brought a bat into the house that may or may not have been already dead when he got ahold of it.  :ack2:  The vet put my mind at ease that it was probably not a danger, but she had me bring the bat in the next morning and they sent it to the Health Dept. for testing. It was negative, thank goodness.

Edited by Selkie

I think the rabies series you get when you have been potentially exposed is different from the vaccine, but there is a human vaccine for prevention. A museum near us that has a bat habitat mentioned that workers are required to get that vaccine if they work with the bats. If you got that going forward, it might give you some peace of mind after this episode has passed.

We often don't think of using "universal precautions" when we care for our pets or our family members, but we usually do when we give first aid to someone else. Maybe if you keep some gloves on hand for pet care in the future, that would also ease your mind as well. You might even use them when you don't need them (bathing the pets) to remind yourself they are there. 

I have a family member that works in health care, and he dons gloves for everything just out of habit.