Menu

Kitchen design: Help me think this through

extendedforecast

post-12600-0-66250600-1494547110_thumb.pngThis is my kitchen. We are replacing cabinets, tile, granite, backsplash, etc. The main thing that bothers me about the current layout is that I need access to the pantry from the actual kitchen, not from behind. I'm willing to move walls and doors if necessary. Also, what do you think of appliance layout? Darn I'm on my phone. I will add a picture in a minute from my computer.

post-12600-0-66250600-1494547110_thumb.png

Edited by extendedforecast

The very best thing DH and I did when we remodeled our kitchen many years ago was to hire a designer who specialized in kitchens and to look at a zillion kitchen design magazines to really figure out what we wanted.  We knew we were going to have to remove a wall and really change a lot of things.  We worked collaboratively with the designer to come up with 3 different options to solve the things that weren't working in our kitchen and to make the space not only a lot more user friendly (which it absolutely was not) but to make it more pleasant and attractive to function in.  After sitting with the three designs for a bit to give ourselves time to think it through, we agreed on a final design, I walked my way through the space again as if the changes had already happened, then made a few final tweaks on spacing.  Even though the designer insisted there was plenty of space between the refrigerator and the island I knew my extended family and our kitchen needs so I stuck to my guns and insisted that the island be shifted a foot forward.  She didn't argue further.  We went with the tweaked design and it worked out beautifully.  Having a professional help us with the design changes saved a ton of money in the end because we weren't having to second guess ourselves through the whole process and the plans made it VERY clear where each thing needed to be.  

Our friends, on the other hand, tried to DYI the design of their remodeled kitchen and ended up having to have a lot of things reworked.  They also ended up with some things they didn't like but hadn't really been able to visualize when they were first brainstorming what to do.  They've never been that happy with their remodel.

• Like 4

The very best thing DH and I did when we remodeled our kitchen many years ago was to hire a designer who specialized in kitchens and to look at a zillion kitchen design magazines to really figure out what we wanted.  We knew we were going to have to remove a wall and really change a lot of things.  We worked collaboratively with the designer to come up with 3 different options to solve the things that weren't working in our kitchen and to make the space not only a lot more user friendly (which it absolutely was not) but to make it more pleasant and attractive to function in.  After sitting with the three designs for a bit to give ourselves time to think it through, we agreed on a final design, I walked my way through the space again as if the changes had already happened, then made a few final tweaks on spacing.  Even though the designer insisted there was plenty of space between the refrigerator and the island I knew my extended family and our kitchen needs so I stuck to my guns and insisted that the island be shifted a foot forward.  She didn't argue further.  We went with the tweaked design and it worked out beautifully.  Having a professional help us with the design changes saved a ton of money in the end because we weren't having to second guess ourselves through the whole process and the plans made it VERY clear where each thing needed to be.  

Our friends, on the other hand, tried to DYI the design of their remodeled kitchen and ended up having to have a lot of things reworked.  They also ended up with some things they didn't like but hadn't really been able to visualize when they were first brainstorming what to do.  They've never been that happy with their remodel.

We are meeting the architect who designed the house next week. I am just playing around with ideas so that I can make sure I get what I want when he redraws the plans for the reno.

• Like 1

I've got ideas about my kitchen remodel.  I even took measurements.  But it's not in stone until the professional gets out the design program and lays it all out and tells me what will and won't work.  (That would be DH.  That's what he does for a living.)  The professional should be able to tell you what walls can be moved and what ones can't, and where you might need to add support.

I have a few things that can't be changed in my kitchen (or at least not without a truckload of work and expense), so I am starting there.  Then I have things that I could change but don't want to.  I painted it a couple of years ago, and I looooooove the color.  It is the most perfect shade of yellow ever, at least for this space.  But yellow walls can be tricky with cabinets, so that dictates what we choose for cabinets.  Then there are materials and price.  DH has opinions about what level of quality he wants, but we have to stick with what we can afford too, so we have to balance all of that, which naturally selects a certain set of options.

It helps if you've lived in the space you have and know how you use it in actuality.  So what do you like about your current kitchen, and what do you not like?  What do you wish you had more of?  I wish I had more counter space and more storage.  I don't happen to like the island in my current kitchen, but it was necessary for workspace.  In my remodeled kitchen, I'm hoping to eliminate the island and go with a peninsula in a slightly different spot.  In my previous kitchen, I had a bank of drawers (3 sets of 3 each, different widths) with 2 large cabinets and 1 set of shelves above them.  It wasn't part of the main cooking space, so the countertops didn't get covered with dishes and appliances.  They stayed largely empty.  I am planning to put a similar set in our remodeled kitchen if we can.  Those are just my considerations; think about what you would like to see in yours. 

• Like 2

I've got ideas about my kitchen remodel. I even took measurements. But it's not in stone until the professional gets out the design program and lays it all out and tells me what will and won't work. (That would be DH. That's what he does for a living.) The professional should be able to tell you what walls can be moved and what ones can't, and where you might need to add support.

I have a few things that can't be changed in my kitchen (or at least not without a truckload of work and expense), so I am starting there. Then I have things that I could change but don't want to. I painted it a couple of years ago, and I looooooove the color. It is the most perfect shade of yellow ever, at least for this space. But yellow walls can be tricky with cabinets, so that dictates what we choose for cabinets. Then there are materials and price. DH has opinions about what level of quality he wants, but we have to stick with what we can afford too, so we have to balance all of that, which naturally selects a certain set of options.

It helps if you've lived in the space you have and know how you use it in actuality. So what do you like about your current kitchen, and what do you not like? What do you wish you had more of? I wish I had more counter space and more storage. I don't happen to like the island in my current kitchen, but it was necessary for workspace. In my remodeled kitchen, I'm hoping to eliminate the island and go with a peninsula in a slightly different spot. In my previous kitchen, I had a bank of drawers (3 sets of 3 each, different widths) with 2 large cabinets and 1 set of shelves above them. It wasn't part of the main cooking space, so the countertops didn't get covered with dishes and appliances. They stayed largely empty. I am planning to put a similar set in our remodeled kitchen if we can. Those are just my considerations; think about what you would like to see in yours.

Thank you. These are very good questions to ask myself.

• Like 1

So I am looking at the drawing. Which area is the pantry outside the kitchen that you want to reach?

The first thing that occurs to me is that the area around the microwave could be tweaked to include pantry cabinets instead of the full counter extending all around the room.

The second thought is that the frig could move over near the microwave, if you want to turn that top wall into a pantry leading to the hall and utility area.

It looks like all the natural light will come from other rooms. What does it open up to?

In my opinion your kitchen layout looks awkward. I prefer a more compact work triangle out of the way of through traffic.  Thus, I would move the sink and dishwasher to the area between the range and microwave.  

Is there enough space between the prep sink and the range for someone to be cooking and someone else to be at sink? Consider moving the prep sink to a different part of the island or to the space where the double sink is currently.

If you moved the refrigerator to the other side of the microwave, you could have a deep pantry on the far side of the stove.   You would sacrifice cabinet and counter space although you’d gain extra storage space in the pantry.

Yes to having a designer help you but be adamant about changing the things that don’t work for you. 

It seems the quickest fix would be to put a hidden swing door, covered in cabinetry so it doesn't stick out, right beside the refrigerator. Then take out the door to the utility space. That would then become your walk in pantry. I have one of those and when one walks into the kitchen, the door looks just like cabinets, thus, "hidden". Since your sink and refrigerator is where it is, I am guessing your prep space is usually on the island with the small sink. That leaves a lot of wasted space between your oven and microwave. How do you use that space now? We turned an area like that into our science lab, but, now, since I am finished homeschooling, it is turning into a drink bar. It would be nice if you put in an ice maker and small drink refrigerator there.