Menu

Would you buy from Thirft Store if you did not have to?

Your donations to the thrift store are sold to whoever will buy them. The money is then used to help folks in need. At least that is how it works at the Salvation Army.

We do most of our shopping at thrift stores and DH makes enough to keep us comfortable. We love the Goodwill Bookstore in our town!!

You should check one out sometime. You might be surprised at how thrifty you feel. I see donating to thrift stores and buying at thrift stores as being part of the same charitable spirit.

Absolutlely agree. This is how it works here too. When we first started shopping at thrift stores, I had the same questions as the OP. "Were we, in essence, stealing from the poor who REALLY needed these clothes." However, I've learned that there are always PLENTY of clothes and the money we contribute when we buy clothes, books, etc., goes to provide meals and other help.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also say that we find amazing deals that we could never afford elsewhere. I know my sizes and the kids' sizes in namebrands such as Loft, Banana Republic, Talbot's, etc. If I were to buy "cheaper" clothes, they wouldn't last as long and would end up in the trash can, unsuitable to pass on to anyone. So, I'm slightly reducing our carbon footprint by getting good quality clothes that last a lot longer and then filling in the gaps with items from "real" stores. I'm dressing better than ever b/c I'm shopping at Goodwill and feel good about it b/c what I pay supports their work, their employees, etc.

I'm really into frugal.

What makes me frugal and not cheap is that, I save the money for something else, not just for its own sake. I'm no miser, but I think that I do a lot of good by rescuing some old stuff that would otherwise get dumped, and also by donating my old stuff to that kind of use.

Plus if the jeans fit when I get them, they continue to fit after I've washed them...pretty cool!

Every once in a while I'll find something really great--a designer dress for $10, or a bunch of shoes in my exact size. The thrill of the hunt is pretty nice!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TC Milhon

"I always thought of them as for people who need the items. "

In a sense you are right here. MOST thrift stores are charity stores who use the proceeds from sales to directly help those in needs be it vets, or the poor, or children's hospitals or other groups. (You do need to be aware though as there are some for profit stores - often just called "Community" thrift stores.) They use your money, or my money, or anyone's money to fund their particular needy group. The clothing or donated items is desperately needed but for the revenue it brings. I suspect some do donate the items directly to those who need clothing but I do not know any figures. If you are wanting your used items to go directly to those in need, good for you! There are many churches in urban areas that offer clothing to those in need. You also might try women's or children's shelters.

Thanks for your post! Its a great topic!

TC

I have always shopped at thrift stores and have never "really" needed to. I just like the interesting selections and the sense of history of each item. I also feel like I am somehow consuming less, because I am not buying new products, but reusing previously owned things. Not to mention, I am frugal to a fault and refuse to pay retail for items I can find for less. So, to answer your question...yes!

Up until about 5 years ago I thought the same thing, that GW and SA type stores were for the needy families and I did not want to take from them. 5 years ago I went into one with a friend and she explained to me basically what has been said here, and now I love going there.

I hit the jackpot about 2 years ago, and got my hubby a whole new work wardrobe for about $60 including Polo, TH, and on and on. They were practically brand new and all in his size, pants, shirts, jackets, everything. That was the best deal I have ever found, but I am able to get my kids at least a whole season of play clothes for less than $20 each, which is wonderful. I am too lazy to get up to hit garage sales, so this is the next cheapest thing IMO.

Rich people got rich by living differently from the rest of us! The billionaire that owns my hubby's company and many others still drives old cars and lives in a 'regular' house. We have learned alot about money in the last few years, and we are paying down debt fast these days by living differently (not deprived just different). Its all about priorities big screen tv that no one watches vs. trip to Disney that will make memories or new clothes vs season passes to state parks, zoos, museums, etc!

Some thrift stores here employ mildy disabled people- others simply use volunteers but the income goes to charity. I don't think there is a shortage of clothes and items donated to thrift stores, that I can see, so I see the benefit in the employment and where the money goes- not in who actually gets to buy the clothes. It never ocurred to me to feel guilty buying clothes in a thrift store just because I could afford to buy them elsewhere.

You could look at it the way you're suggesting--that there are ten sweaters in the store, and hundreds of people who want them, and if I'm one of the ten that get one, then the other hundreds-minus-ten will do without. What's good for me is bad for my competitor. True enough, if you're only looking at those sweaters and the people who want them.

But that's a very limited field of vision that you're looking at, you know? The big picture isn't a zero-sum game. It's not just a competition. What's good for me can be good for my "competitor" at the same time, because we're not just competitors.

Well-patronized thrift shops stay in business longer and get more and better donations. Being patronized by non-poor people keeps the area they're in from being labeled "a bad part of town." A brisk business keeps the stock turning over. It reduces the stigma of shopping there. That sort of thing. It's good, even for the poor people, to have not-poor people shopping there.

Other people have already mentioned all the other ways that shopping thrift stores can help others. Reducing pollution by reducing production and consumption, saving money that you can then give to job training programs or food banks or battered women's shelters. Resisting the pressure to buy new, buy lots, keep up with everyone else's spending--that's just a good thing, all around.

And then there's the whole problem with Wal-Marts' and Target's business model--in order to get YOU low prices on new stuff, they have to pay their workers less, buy from sweatshops, etc. It's not entirely clear that you shopping at Wal-Mart will be better for poor people, if Wal-Mart's business model tends to keep poor people poor.

(Caveat lector--this is a thought exercise only, and should not be taken as a condemnation of Wal-Mart, Target, poor people, not-poor people, dog owners, knitters, or people who polish their silver. No warranty is expressed or implied herein. We are not liable for adverse events arising from misuse or abuse of this post. Do not use as a hair dryer or a circumcision device.)[/QUOTE]

Spluttering! Oh, good heavens, woman, you've done it again -- thank goodness I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that...

Some of these larger conglomerates have lost the smaller picture for what they were intended.

I don't think that's true. I think that you have a certain idea about what thrift stores should be and do and you're finding out that not everyone thinks that way. Thrift stores exist for one reason: to sell used items. What they choose to do with the money they make is up to them. It's great that a lot of thrift stores are run by charities, but the fact that some of them are run by corporations does not mean they have lost site of their true purpose. Their true purpose is to sell used items. You are superimposing your idea of what thrift stores should be/do onto them.

Tara

Just curious- what is gross about it to you? I had a friend who didn't want to possibly be getting clothes that belonged to a dead person. I always teased her (nicely) about it, because that just doesn't bother me at all.

Not the PP but for me it is the not the idea of it so much as the smells. The smell in a thrift store or consignment shop just about does me in. I am very sensitive to smells though...anyway, I don't let it stop me---in fact I'm going to a consignment store today.

As for the Duggars...they became well off financially in large part due to their frugality. I am in awe of how $3 worth of homemade laundry soap lasts them 2 months. Wow! That makes me want to do it for my own family.....there are only 4 in my house hold right now, so that I should be able to make that last for 10 months! Is that even possible? Would it go bad in the meantime? oh, sorry for the threadjack...but wow.

Anyway, I've never known anyone who thinks the thrift shops or consignment shops were only for very needy people. I learn something new every day! :D

Absolutely I would still buy from thrift stores. We are destroying the environment because we make so much stuff. Buying used reduces consumer demand and reduces my personal consumption because what I want is not always immediately available.

My sentiments exactly!

And BTW, who are Duggars??:confused: