Menu

WWYD? UPS lost package

MaeFlowers

We moved about a month ago. Its been a bit of a headache because the house we are now in is new construction. Even though we get mail, the USPS system does not recognize our address. As in, if you look it up in their system, it doesn't exist. Even our last carrier came and talked to us about it because he didn't know what the deal was with our forwarding address.

So, I ordered some things from Wayfair. They shipped UPS. The tracking said it would be here last Saturday. I even saw the UPS truck on our street that day. I went to look later and there was no package. I assumed they were on our street for another house and didn't think much of it. Monday, I get half of the order. UPS says the other half was delivered on Saturday.

I call Wayfair and tell them that I did not receive my package. They call UPS and put me on with them. UPS says that they could not find my house so they looked up my info and found my last address and took it there. Do I have any family in that house? I said no and they put me on hold. They come back and tell me that they tried to call the woman they delivered it to but cannot get an answer (why would they have her phone number??? And mine was on my order...why didn't they call me before delivering it to the wrong address???). They will try to retrieve the package and redeliver it to me.

Since I live less than a mile away, I went by the house but no one answered. Dh called the landlord and she gave us the new renters phone number. I called and left a message asking if she had received the package and could she let me know. She is not returning my call.

I don't want to keep at this woman. I don't know if she even has the package or if UPS really delivered it there. The package isn't time sensitive but I'm getting annoyed. Why would UPS take it to an old address? Our new address is in Google maps and they were on our street that day. Second, whether or not the woman has the package, it would be nice if she could let me know. A text would be fine.

WWYD? Should I be calling UPS every day? (Their system shows they are trying to locate a lost package.) Should I ask Wayfair for a replacement? Sit and wait?

• Like 2

UPS messed up big time but at this point it is on Wayfair to deal with UPS while offering you either a refund or a replacement.

And I could be wrong but I don't believe the incorrect recipient has a legal obligation to do anything about an incorrectly delivered package. Ethically, that's another story.

• Like 5

In the first paragraph, USPS is mentioned, and then it is about UPS.  I do not think you should need to be contacting UPS every day, or that you should contact the person who lives at your former address again. Let Wayfair and UPS solve this. If they do not, I would suggest that you consider contacting them, publicly, on their Facebook pages or on Twitter.  This is somewhat similar to the  problem a poster here had with an expensive Cell Phone that was sent from China, via FedEx, to her in MA, and they delivered it to the wrong house or lost it or something. In her case, after she contacted the CEO of FedEx, and FedEx and the Shipper worked on it for a few days or a week, the Shipper then sent another phone to her. In your case, you should either get a complete refund from Wayfair or they should send you another shipment of the same items, if they still have them in stock. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 3

I'd stop calling the person in your old place. I'd be so mad if my landlord gave out my phone number!

This is Wayfair's problem. You purchased something and *they* hired ups to deliver it. Delivery issues are between the carrier and the company that hired them.

Wayfair should replace it. If/when ups finds it they will give it back to Wayfair.

Hope it works out!

• Like 4

They will try to retrieve the package and redeliver it to me.

Then leave it up to Wayfair and UPS to get the other package to you or replace it with a new one. Leave the other person alone and let the companies responsible work it out. Pester Wayfair if they don't follow through promptly.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

I'd stop calling the person in your old place. I'd be so mad if my landlord gave out my phone number!

This is Wayfair's problem. You purchased something and *they* hired ups to deliver it. Delivery issues are between the carrier and the company that hired them.

Wayfair should replace it. If/when ups finds it they will give it back to Wayfair.

Hope it works out!

I had no intention of calling her after the one time. I don't even know that she has the package.

I'm going to call Wayfair and ask for a replacement. They can hash it out with UPS.

• Like 2

It shouldn't be your responsibility to track it down. Wayfair should be handling it and sending you a replacement. How dumb of UPS to deliver to a different address than the one you gave without even trying to contact you!

this is on the driver and ups can deal with them.  (and wayfair should be dealing with ups.)

I have an acquaintance who had items that couldn't be left - someone had to receive them.  he left a note on the door to say take it to the business next door. (mere steps away.)   because it wasn't in their actual delivery orders - they were NOT allowed to do that.

I agree with filing a complaint with ups to light a fire under them.  and that wayfair should be replacing the item.

• Like 1

this is on the driver and ups can deal with them. (and wayfair should be dealing with ups.)

I have an acquaintance who had items that couldn't be left - someone had to receive them. he left a note on the door to say take it to the business next door. (mere steps away.) because it wasn't in their actual delivery orders - they were NOT allowed to do that.

I agree with filing a complaint with ups to light a fire under them. and that wayfair should be replacing the item.

I agree its on UPS. Their driver shouldn't have made the call he/she did. I have requested a replacement from Wayfair. Hopefully, this will get sorted out soon.

• Like 1

In the first paragraph, USPS is mentioned, and then it is about UPS. I do not think you should need to be contacting UPS every day, or that you should contact the person who lives at your former address again. Let Wayfair and UPS solve this. If they do not, I would suggest that you consider contacting them, publicly, on their Facebook pages or on Twitter. This is somewhat similar to the problem a poster here had with an expensive Cell Phone that was sent from China, via FedEx, to her in MA, and they delivered it to the wrong house or lost it or something. In her case, after she contacted the CEO of FedEx, and FedEx and the Shipper worked on it for a few days or a week, the Shipper then sent another phone to her. In your case, you should either get a complete refund from Wayfair or they should send you another shipment of the same items, if they still have them in stock.

The reason I mentioned USPS is that they are the repository for all addresses in the US. If you are not in their system, no carrier will be able to verify your address. That's the root of all the issues we are having. I do know it has been submitted through the right channels multiple times but for some reason it has not been added to their system.

• Like 1