Menu

Day out with grandparents ideas needed

Cara4497

My parents are going to be watching DS5 for a couple of days and want to plan a special outing. However, my dad can't walk long distances so that rules out things like the zoo, aquarium or children's museum. There aren't any movies he wants to see. Any ideas for something special they can do? They will be near Cincinnati if you are familiar with that area. 

Thanks!

Who is the "he" that doesn't want to see the movies?  The five year old?  Or the Grandpa?  Because Grandpa should put the 5 year old first.  In some children's museums there are benches where an older adult can sit and watch while the child and the more mobile adult can interact with the exhibits.  Is Grandpa willing to rent a scooter for the outing?  That will increase their choices. 

• Like 1

Are there any things like "Ride the Duck" or a site-seeing trolley?  We did those things with my dad when he came to visit.  His situation was similar to your dad's, sounds like.  

Planetarium.

Boat tour.

Train ride.

Do they like to play games?  Some parks have the big chess pieces or tables where they could be outside and play checkers.  I still remember doing this with my grandpa.  

Miniature golf? That might be too much, but my dad managed it with a walker when he came to visit us ("us" meaning his grandson...).  :0)

My dad also got a kick out of watching my mom and my son play catch.  He didn't have to be involved to be engaged.  

I hope they have a wonderful time!

Who is the "he" that doesn't want to see the movies?  The five year old?  Or the Grandpa?  Because Grandpa should put the 5 year old first.  In some children's museums there are benches where an older adult can sit and watch while the child and the more mobile adult can interact with the exhibits.  Is Grandpa willing to rent a scooter for the outing?  That will increase their choices. 

My son is the one who doesn't want to see any of the movies. Grandpa would sit through almost anything. 

• Like 1

My other ideas have been listed so I'll add something a bit different. Do you think he could do a small amount of walking and standing for 20 minutes? I was thinking a factory tour could be fun. They are usually not very long but can be very interesting. I don't live in your area so I googled and here's an article about local tours. Some of them have long versions and shorter 20-min ones.

Edited by idnib

There is Totters Otterville in Northern Kentucky. It is a children's edutainment center. It is smaller than the children's museum. Your dad could sit the whole time.

There is a ride the duck at Newport. There is also the old stand bys- bounce houses, trampoline places, playgrounds, Chuck E. Cheese and Dave and Busters.

Recreations outlet has open play times.

Edited by lovinmyboys

Little things my kids enjoyed doing with my parents when they were younger. These probably don't meet the idea of an exciting outing, but don't forget that the little things are big things when you are 5:

Playing at the play place in Chick Fil A or McDonalds. My dad still talks about taking my oldest dd (who is 22 years old) to a Del Taco play place (or something like that) such a little thing, but a special memory.

Going to a farm store to look at baby chicks.

Getting ice cream at a local ice cream place.  One time my inlaws came and stayed with our kids for a few days - I think they took the kids to ice cream every single day - they were in heaven!!

Getting to choose candy from the bulk foods section of the grocery store. Such an exciting treat!!

Water fountain - where the different streams of water shoot out - I think there is one in every town, right?  Grandparents can sit near by while your ds runs around. 

The Children's Museum in Cincinnati is made for kids to be active and parents/guardians to be able to sit. It has activity centers for the kids to play in and there is a lot of nearby seating too, so it's easy to keep an eye on the kids.

The Krohn Conservatory is having their annual butterfly show through mid-June.

Among my sons' favorite memories was going to the Rabbit Hash (KY) general store, getting a rootbeer and throwing rocks into the Ohio. Maybe there's a good place like that on the OH side of the river?

A ride across the river on the Anderson Ferry might also be a neat experience. My boys were about the age of your ds when we finally rode the ferry and they loved it.