Menu

yosemite

gardenmom5

we're meeting up with dd at yosemite this summer.  she REALLY wants to hike the half dome.  really really bad.  there's a lottery for getting a permit, so we all put in our names in hopes at least one person would get it.

and . . my son drew a permit, so she gets to hike it.  she figures this is her only chance and she's hoping to have a baby next year.  (and I'll finally be a gramma.)  

we still have several family members yet to be heard from - so I don't know if anyone else drew one too.  but ds got her preferred date, so the rest would be gravy.

• Like 7

That's exciting! I hope the rest of you get permits too. I would love to hike in Yosemite.

For what it's worth, I started hiking more once I had kids. If you need a baby gift (I know you said hoping, so just file this for the future) get her a nice kid carrier. I didn't get a nice one until my third child and each time I carried it I wished I had bought it sooner.

• Like 1

If you need a baby gift (I know you said hoping, so just file this for the future) get her a nice kid carrier. I didn't get a nice one until my third child and each time I carried it I wished I had bought it sooner.

This. Our backpack carrier (from a reputable outdoor equipment company, NOT a baby supply maker!) was the best piece of baby related equipment we ever had. It greatly increased our quality of life, because it allowed us to be active as a family.

• Like 1

Exciting!  We are going to Yosemite next month and the kids wanted to hike Half Dome but none of us are in good enough shape to do it.  I told them we can do all the 5 mile hikes instead.  We have hiked with our kids since they were babes.  Good carrier.  Many times we went to do a 1-2 mile hike and did 5 even when the kids were 3-4 years old.  You go their pace, bring enough snacks/candy for incentive...hiking doesn't stop with kids.  Mine love it.  

Enjoy your awesome hike!

• Like 2

That's exciting! I hope the rest of you get permits too. I would love to hike in Yosemite.

For what it's worth, I started hiking more once I had kids. If you need a baby gift (I know you said hoping, so just file this for the future) get her a nice kid carrier. I didn't get a nice one until my third child and each time I carried it I wished I had bought it sooner.

I'll probably buy one for her - she loves to hike.  her dh is more into biking.

the rest of us aren't going, we're actually arriving the day they'll be hiking.  you put your name in, and everyone in your group.  so if that person's name is drawn, the group goes.

they've cut down how many can hike per day.  it's now a max of 300 (had been 1200) people.

they loved their wedding cake so much - they ordered several round cakes.  they even ordered one for new years AFTER they moved to texas.  a friend was here visiting family, so she took it back with her.

we're going to get them a "half-dome" cake and take it down with us.   my Tupperware cake taker worked really well on the airplane at new years.

Exciting!  We are going to Yosemite next month and the kids wanted to hike Half Dome but none of us are in good enough shape to do it.  I told them we can do all the 5 mile hikes instead.  We have hiked with our kids since they were babes.  Good carrier.  Many times we went to do a 1-2 mile hike and did 5 even when the kids were 3-4 years old.  You go their pace, bring enough snacks/candy for incentive...hiking doesn't stop with kids.  Mine love it.  

Enjoy your awesome hike!

the cables go up around memorial day weekend (before that - it's closed to hikers) - and permits are required.

if there is lightening or rain - the advice is get off the rock.

they also stress - pick a point you must reach by a certain time.  if you're not there - turn around and go back.  and bring flashlights as it's fairly common for the last of the descent to be in the dark.

for a fit hiker - it is 10 - 12 hours with 4800ft gain.  15.6miles.

eta: corrected

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

This. Our backpack carrier (from a reputable outdoor equipment company, NOT a baby supply maker!) was the best piece of baby related equipment we ever had. It greatly increased our quality of life, because it allowed us to be active as a family.

REI was founded in seattle . . . .

• Like 1

Nice. Have fun.

And btw, it is not her only chance - having a baby does not mean one cannot hike anymore.

Dh used to carry the toddler on his back while I did the same with babe. Granted we did not do as strenuous or as long hikes as before but we did not give it up.

Have fun. I have always wanted to see Yosemite and never had the chance so far. Definitely not making it this year either, but will make it to either Cuyahoga in Ohio or Smokies in Tennessee this summer if at all possible.

Add our family to those who have kids who grew up hiking.  It doesn't take too many years before they not only keep up, but scamper ahead.  ;)

Mine love it.  I can't recall ever having to carry them (once they could walk well, of course).  We kept hike to their level.  I can recall a few times when they had to wait for me, however.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

she's won't be giving up hiking - but it wouldn't be any time soon she could do as strenuous a hike as half dome with kids (she plans on several)  - and who knows what sort of shape she'd be in then.   not to mention - where she lives in relation to half-dome. 

when they moved, I gave them some books on hiking in the dfw area . . . . dsil was commenting the most *strenuous* hike was 10 (18?) miles and a 300' elevation gain. (but still hundreds, not thousands) the summer before they moved - they hiked to camp muir

now, they fly to utah to hike.  or drive to california this summer . . .

dsil graduates in may, - so he'll have time again.   maybe they'll fly here to hike . . .

• Like 2

I have a question - of those saying to take kids hiking the half-dome, how many have actually hiked it?  or taken little kids on a hike with >4000' gain in eight miles? (round trip is approx. 16 - depending which way you come back.)

she's won't be giving up hiking - but it wouldn't be any time soon she could do as strenuous a hike as half dome with kids (she plans on several)  - and who knows what sort of shape she'd be in then.   not to mention - where she lives in relation to half-dome. 

when they moved, I gave them some books on hiking in the dfw area . . . . dsil was commenting the most *strenuous* hike was 10 (18?) miles and a 300' elevation gain. (but still hundreds, not thousands) the summer before they moved - they hiked to camp muir

now, they fly to utah to hike.  or drive to california this summer . . .

dsil graduates in may, - so he'll have time again.   maybe they'll fly here to hike . . .

Ok, that's much better than what I thought.  I thought you meant she'd give up on hiking - or assume kids couldn't do major hikes.  We haven't done Half Dome, but we've done others with our kids - more strenuous/dangerous types when our youngest was 8 (first time we traveled out west with them).  We did less dangerous ones when they were younger - conditioning them, etc.  Even young kids in condition can go miles without difficulty.  

• Like 3

I have a question - of those saying to take kids hiking the half-dome, how many have actually hiked it? or taken little kids on a hike with >4000' gain in eight miles? (round trip is approx. 16 - depending which way you come back.)

I don't think anyone is saying to take the kids on Half Dome, just that having kids doesn't prevent hiking.

However, there are YouTube videos of families who have taken their kids on the Wonderland Trail in WA which is about 100 miles. One family had a 4 and 2 year old and mom was pregnant! I'm not that ambitious.

I'm out east. The most I've tackled with kids is a 1000' gain, which is about as much as you can get around where I live. We are hoping to hike LaConte in TN this fall, but it's not going to be near the challenge of Half Dome.

• Like 2

she's won't be giving up hiking - but it wouldn't be any time soon she could do as strenuous a hike as half dome with kids (she plans on several) - and who knows what sort of shape she'd be in then. not to mention - where she lives in relation to half-dome.

when they moved, I gave them some books on hiking in the dfw area . . . . dsil was commenting the most *strenuous* hike was 10 (18?) miles and a 300' elevation gain. (but still hundreds, not thousands) the summer before they moved - they hiked to camp muir.

now, they fly to utah to hike. or drive to california this summer . . .

dsil graduates in may, - so he'll have time again. maybe they'll fly here to hike . . .

I bet that was a tough adjustment. Maybe when he graduated they will be able to find some more difficult hikes within driving distance.

apparently 1ds also drew a permit - on a different day.  so, they'll have permits for two days and can option weather.  or even see if they can get 2ds to hike it with them.  not sure he's in good enough shape . . . maybe if he'd start walking to work . . . (it's a couple miles - uphill coming home.)

Hope she has a great time. My neighbors went to Yosemite every year when I was a kid. I tagged along once.

Curious what is this baby carrier?

I own two carriers. My newest is a toddler one. I'm happy with ours, but interested in hearing about this one.

Hope she has a great time. My neighbors went to Yosemite every year when I was a kid. I tagged along once.

I own two carriers. My newest is a toddler one. I'm happy with ours, but interested in hearing about this one.

It was  a German brand that is not available in the US, Jack Wolfskin. Honestly, that thing was fantastic. And it had a 30L storage compartment, so we even went backpacking! 

When we bought our baby backpack carrier, I went to REI with DD.  They had a teddy bear filled with lead shot, weighing 25 lbs, which they used to help adjust each of the carriers to me without bugging her too much.  Then I picked the most comfortable one, and we put her in it.  She loved it, and that was that!

One really nice thing about a technical backpack carrier is that there is a little space between the baby and your back.  That is more comfortable for the average kid, and also you don't get as hot.

• Like 2

I've hiked to the top of Half Dome and done the chains. It was really fun and harder on the way down the rock than up. That said, we did spend the night in Little Yosemite Valley the night before and after so we could have a more leisurely pace and not stress about any potential delays. I definitely recommend gloves. I used leather ones and I'm glad I did.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 2

It was  a German brand that is not available in the US, Jack Wolfskin. Honestly, that thing was fantastic. And it had a 30L storage compartment, so we even went backpacking!

http://www.jack-wolfskin.com/2004541-4288.html

Here is a website for Wolfskin.

I couldn't find it on the site but might try again later. Thanks

When we bought our baby backpack carrier, I went to REI with DD.  They had a teddy bear filled with lead shot, weighing 25 lbs, which they used to help adjust each of the carriers to me without bugging her too much.  Then I picked the most comfortable one, and we put her in it.  She loved it, and that was that!

One really nice thing about a technical backpack carrier is that there is a little space between the baby and your back.  That is more comfortable for the average kid, and also you don't get as hot.

As long as they are ergonomic those sound fantastic. A bit heavy though if you're adding weight with the child LOL

Edited by heartlikealion

I had a Deuter that I loved! My 4 year old is technically still within the weight limit but he has long legs and was intentionally kicking my rear plus grabbing onto trees when we passed so now he hikes on his own.

Osprey makes a nice one too.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is saying to take the kids on Half Dome, just that having kids doesn't prevent hiking.

However, there are YouTube videos of families who have taken their kids on the Wonderland Trail in WA which is about 100 miles. One family had a 4 and 2 year old and mom was pregnant! I'm not that ambitious.

I'm out east. The most I've tackled with kids is a 1000' gain, which is about as much as you can get around where I live. We are hoping to hike LaConte in TN this fall, but it's not going to be near the challenge of Half Dome.

that was what I was referring to - specifically the half-dome.

they're both very outdoorsy-

dsil bikes - he has seven, and does 100 mile bike rides.

I bet that was a tough adjustment. Maybe when he graduated they will be able to find some more difficult hikes within driving distance.

they'd have to go to the rockies to get vertically challenging hikes.  or they can come visit.  :thumbup:   we have lots of options too.

The Lake Tahoe area is an easier place to find easy hikes to do with kids than Yosemite, and it's also very beautiful.

FWIW.

that was one of the places they went on their delayed honeymoon.  they really liked it.  then they drove down to yosemite - but they didn't know you can put your name in for a last minute permit.

• Like 1

Yosemite has some good kids' hikes up at Tuolumne, but the caveat is they should adjust well to the altitude. If it's a difficult adjustment they can spend an entire day just playing in the meadow without much climbing. The star gazing at night is fantastic, and there is a seasonal restaurant in a tent up there. Most years Tioga Road doesn't open till July and re-closes around November so it's a tight schedule.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1