Menu

Removing baked on grease from aluminum.. what is a safe product?

mathnerd

Searching on google is confusing me - baking soda is alkaline and not to be used say some articles, vinegar is acidic and not to be used say some websites, even windex, bar keepers friend and 409 cleaners are bad apparently - so, how can I get baked grease out of aluminum surfaces? I tried dawn and hot water and it does not do the task. Please help!

Oops....I missed this part.  I just make a pot of super hot/boiling water and put it on there with Dawn and let it soak.  Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds, but it usually gets the job done.  

Edit to add--I would probably use a little bit of brillow pad and then hit it again with the hot water/dawn so as not to ruin your items. 

Edited by TammyinTN
  • Like 2

I recently saw a post on Facebook about this. One of those "cleaning hacks" things. They filled the metal baking pan with a little dish detergent and water and added a DRYER SHEET. I tried in on one of my bad pans--lo and behold--IT WORKED. I let it soak with the dryer sheet for several hours. If I can find a link to the video, I'll add it. 

ETA: just google "dryer sheet to remove burnt on food"

Edited by stephensgirls

I soak in hot water and soap, then use a pot scraper

Then Brillo or fine steel wool

Boiling water with some cream of tartar will restore shine

https://www.walmart.com/ip/19282473?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228016303505&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=55381582929&wl4=pla-87884704569&wl5=9003654&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19282473&wl13=&veh=sem

Amazon has these back ordered now, so posting another link

Edited by Alessandra