Menu

Easy, interesting American History courses?

Daughter has no interest in history, so I was hoping to find something interesting/tolerable that was not intensive.  I really just want to check off the box and my daughter to have the basics of American History without feeling tortured.   :)

From a Christian perspective would be a bonus.  :)

Edited by susanah4

Could you define easy and interesting?

One of my daughters used the Great Courses US History videos, Notgrass US History, Lightning Lit American Lit, and several extra books, both F and NF.  Regular discussions, a few essays, weekly quizzes - nothing too difficult. And it was fairly interesting.

• Like 1

Could you define easy and interesting?

One of my daughters used the Great Courses US History videos, Notgrass US History, Lightning Lit American Lit, and several extra books, both F and NF.  Regular discussions, a few essays, weekly quizzes - nothing too difficult. And it was fairly interesting.

Edited to add:   Daughter has no interest in history, so I was hoping to find something interesting/tolerable that was not intensive.  I really just want to check off the box and my daughter to have the basics of American History without feeling tortured.   :)

Thank you for your response.

My daughter also has no interest in history, but we used Oak Meadow's World History this year and she loved it.  I was surprised.  We used an older version and their new American History looks like a different format so we chose not to use it next year.  We're going to try the new Pandia Press U.S. History and I am hoping she will like that, too.  

• Like 1

Does she enjoy reading?  We used Joy Hakim's History of US series, and absolutely loved it.  It is the most interesting American history textbook I've ever read.  Chapters are short, colorful, with lots of little interesting facts and stories.  We usually supplemented it and did in-depth projects with it, but not always.  One of my daughters needed American History in high school during the year when our family was in medical upheaval and I didn't have the time or energy to put into it.  I simply had her read through the series on her own, while keeping a daily journal of things in it that particularly interested her.  (No required amount.)  We also watched a lot of good movies and documentaries that were based in American history.  

• Like 1

My history disliking daughter used Bilbioplan and it went well. You can make it as much as you want it to be. It includes maps, questions, research essays (if you want them), and a huge list of optional literature (if you want it) or you can just go with the Companion (their text), the questions, the maps and done. 

• Like 1