Menu

What would you put in a "pre-school corner"?

For Christmas, I think I am going to create a preschool corner for my 3yo. I have a corner space that is basically 4ft on each wall of a corner of my school area. I definitely want a table and a couple of chairs but am undecided on what else to put there.

Any ideas?:)

Some kind of small bookcase or cubby with various containers full of manipulatives and such for exploration- you could rotate them so they stay new and don't have too much out at one time, and little one could take one container out at a time and take it to the little table to work on.

Wooden puzzles could be one category

Fine motor skills could be another- lacing and threading toys, stacking toys, pounding toys.

Art supplies- crayons, washable markers, safety scissors, and construction paper

a music box with maracas, tambourine, etc

wooden blocks or some other building toy

Maybe a little shelf of books your little ones particularly enjoys.

A small bulletin board for displaying little one's art and other creations.

Love Nicole's ideas. I definitely think a bookshelf with manipulatives would be an excellent idea. I would suggest you look into some Montessori books like Basic Montessori and Teaching Montessori at Home: The Preschool Years. There are many ideas for homemade activities.

Lacing Shapes

puzzles

Pattern blocks - magnetic ones are good

art supplies - washable crayons, paper, maybe those triangular fat colored pencils, scissors, glue sticks, coloring books

If they like workbooks, maybe some of the Kumon preschool ones

Books of course!

Here is a link to MFW and their preschool package for 3 & 4 year olds - I love it and plan to get it for Schmooey when he's old enough.

I'm quite envious that you have that much room for a preschool corner! Wow! How fun!

A preschooler?

:D

Okay 3yo.... Hmm, sturdy shelves. Wooden blocks - archetecturial ones if you can afford them. Puzzles - 30, 60, 100 piece floor puzzles. An alphabet puzzle. Wedgits. Magnetic building blocks. A large magnifier with a base. A small set of child-sized dishes for pretend play. The Melissa & Doug See & Spell. A world Map floor puzzle. Some Maze books. Some good picture books like from BFIAR. Candyland. Chutes and Ladders. Maybe ChildSized Masterpieces. A lap-sized whiteboard and markers. An abacus like the RS one. Frogs on log or some other base-10 cute counters. A teaching clock.

Thats all that comes to my mind right now.

A pre-schooler?! :lol:

Sorry. It's been a long week.

I'd add a tape recorder/audio player of some sort with cd's appropriate for his/her age. And, I'd include open ended projects -- iow, things that don't have a right or wrong way to do them, or require a lot of instruction. Scarves for dress ups. Hats on the wall if there's room. Comfy pillows instead of chairs. jmho

Our easel with paint cups that have a lid with a small hole for the paintbrushes is a hit. It didn't take long at all to train my children how to use it properly and keep it available at all times. Definitely have a space to display the art work that is produced.

Play dough with plastic knives, rolling pins, and other creative tools are fun. You can make or buy scented playdough to engage even more senses.

My children enjoyed simple office supplies - safety scissors and notecards to cut, paper clips to put on the edges of notecards, and a variety of writing paper and pens and pencils.

A pre-schooler?! :lol:

Sorry. It's been a long week.

I'd add a tape recorder/audio player of some sort with cd's appropriate for his/her age. And, I'd include open ended projects -- iow, things that don't have a right or wrong way to do them, or require a lot of instruction. Scarves for dress ups. Hats on the wall if there's room. Comfy pillows instead of chairs. jmho

All I saw was duct tape. Talk about a long week.:D

Here are some more ideas:

A mirror on the wall to enjoy:

puppets, funny hats, glasses, bow ties and scarves, plastic animal noses and crazy wigs.

Depending on your sound tolerances...whistles, harmonicas and vibration microphones

Play dough is common but combine it with more uncommon tools. Kids play pans can lead to some creative cookery with play dough.

If you don't mind some clean up, a rice tub and measuring spoons/cups/pouring devices.

Tray with pitchers to pour water into cups and back again.

Fill a sealable container with pearler beads (or other filler)and then add some little trinket items to create an I-spy jar.

If your child doesn't mouth items....A texture box with rocks, feathers, shells, buttons, textured balls, cotton puffs, q-tips, metal pieces, old keys.....then add a magnifying glass! (this is a great place to toss the odds and ends from birthday party gift bags)

A box full of pictures cut out from magazines all ready to paste to a piece of paper. Throw in some pictures of family members for extra fun.

Cheap peal and stick foam stickers. You can buy them cheap in bulk containers.

Left over birthday party supplies for a teddy bear party.

Mix oil and add colored water. Put in mini water bottles and silicone or seal the ends. Toss in something that is plastic that will float on the water but not the oil or visa versa. Glitter is cute to add too.

Definately a set of teddy bear manipulatives.

Actually, my 2 yo plays with all the manipulatives that go with Saxon, while the older one does school. She likes pattern blocks and linking cubes.

I like to put up posters with letters, numbers and colors, to make them familiar to a child this age.

Great ideas, everyone! I'm writing some down myself. If you have extra wall space, I would also add a chalkboard or dry erase/bulletin board that is low enough for little fingers to reach. Something that could have some "lessons" on it and a place to put up some finished work, just like the big kids. :D

My dd4 LOVES this pocket calendar. We find and say today's date and then put a card in to describe today's weather.

I have only preschool age kids right now and here's what is in our schoolroom:

1) LOTS of books

2) blocks

3) peg boards

4) board games

5) card games

6) memory games

7) stickers and stamps

8) lacing cards and beads

9) playdoh and clay

10) markers, colored pencils, crayons, pastels, chalk

11) finger paint, tempera, watercolors

12) drawing paper, watercolor paper, tracing paper, construction paper

13) a balance (dd4 LOVES weighing everything in the house)

14) an abacus

15) a teaching clock

16) wood puzzles

17) puppets

18) play cash register with play money

19) flash cards

20) sticker/activity/coloring books

21) craft supplies - glue, scissors, cotton balls, feathers, old magazines, glitter, etc.

22) pattern blocks

23) math manipulatives - sorting bears, connecting cubes, etc.

If *I* had a 4x4 corner of a room, here is how I would set it up:

1) one wall would be a tall 48 inch wide bookcase. The bottom shelves would be bins of educational toys. The middle shelves would be books. The top shelves would be bins of art supplies that I wouldn't want to be used without my permission/knowledge (mostly because of dd2 :D).

2) the other wall would be a bulletin board/chalk or white board combo at the right height for a 3 year old to use/access. Above that I would put a pocket calendar like the one I linked to.

3) small table and chairs, like you mentioned.

I hope that helps! It's so fun to be able to plan out a space!

We have a corner where we specifically put a bookshelf and table meant for children's toys and such. I recommend that you put a minimal amount of items that can easily be put away by your little one. This way, they will learn responsibility as well as have a spot to keep themselves occupied and content. We have a variety of books and 2 small boxes of blocks/toys. It works for us :o). Blessings.