Menu

Strawberry Shortcake Dessert, done several ways?

Halftime Hope

I prepare dessert once monthly for birthdays at work.  Sometimes I bake; more often we buy three pies.

The pie option pre-dated my becoming the birthday hostess; I've gotten tired of it, since it was always choc pie, key lime pie (for those wanting tangy/fruity), and pecan pie (for those wanting nuts). Thus the occasional baking.

I'd like to do strawberry shortcake with whipped cream and sweet "drop-biscuit style" individual shortcakes.

We usually have several options so people can choose if they don't like one thing or another.

What "other" topping options can you think of that would go well with the whipped cream and shortcake, instead of strawberries?

TIA!

I would also go with canned peaches, with lots of syrup to moisten the biscuits.  They can be very dry.  That's what I grew up with, but where I live now, everyone uses angel food cake or those premade individual angel food cake rounds.

As another option, maybe chocolate pudding? 

• Like 1

I woudn't do drop-biscuts. (my mother would always make them.) they're hard to split to be able to fill.  I do a 1part-sourcream/2parts-milk (instead of buttermilk) dessert biscuit - with butter (not shortening) cut in until the consistency of peas. very lightly kneaded and rolled.  they're not dry.

my grandmother always did angel food cake.  it's very light.

other toppings - almost any fruit.  cherries, berries (of any kind), we do apple pie type filling for things besides pie.

Edited by gardenmom5