Menu

When COBRA is not an option...

footballmom

What are the other medical insurance options?  We've always carried health insurance through an employer.  DH was laid off recently and we were planning on extending our coverage through Cobra.  We've already met the deductible for the year so it made sense.  Today we found out based on the size of the company and not living in the same state as their office, he will not be eligible for Cobra.  He is not having a lot of luck in his search.  I am freaking out.  Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

ehen we moved back from Canada, I just called the insurance company and was able to buy a policy. We basically got a catostrophic coverage plan, but I don't know if they are available anymore. I also know that there are insurance brokers who will run different options for you. You could call your local insurance place and ask if hey do that of know who does. Your kids probably would be eligible for state insurance . You could google how to do that.

• Like 1

Depending on the state you are in, you may all be eligible for state insurance while he's on unemployment.  Your children will likely qualify for coverage while he's unemployed unless you have another significant source of income besides UI insurance.  You should start at healthcare.gov, and it will show you what is available in your particular area.  

• Like 1

It will vary depending on state, but I agree that you should look into Medicaid. You'd likely qualify in my state until your dh gets a job, unless he's getting an insane amount of unemployment. Your kids will almost certainly qualify at least, and you could then get coverage for just you two through the exchange and probably get a subsidy to help pay for it.

Edited by Mergath

My info is ancient, but when we had a COBRA plan it was 3x the monthly cost of what I ended up purchasing. That surprised me

Pre-Obamacare, the only way people with preexisting conditions could get an individual policy was through COBRA so there was "adverse selection". Those who were healthy would not choose COBRA while those who had no other choice would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-Obamacare, the only way people with preexisting conditions could get an individual policy was through COBRA so there was "adverse selection". Those who were healthy would not choose COBRA while those who had no other choice would.

That's not what drove the cost structure, though.

Because COBRA by law cost the same as whatever the prior employer was paying for employee group coverage, with a very slight uplift for administrative costs.  And the employee could only get it for 18 months, unless he was disabled, in which case he could get it for 36. 

• Like 1

Ah.

That's not what drove the cost structure, though.

Because COBRA by law cost the same as whatever the prior employer was paying for employee group coverage, with a very slight uplift for administrative costs. And the employee could only get it for 18 months, unless he was disabled, in which case he could get it for 36.

But group coverage (which was guaranteed for all employees and eligible dependents regardless of preexisting conditions) was more expensive than an individual policy for a healthy person pre-Obamacare. Also it tended to cover more things such as maternity care and prescription drugs.

But group coverage (which was guaranteed for all employees and eligible dependents regardless of preexisting conditions) was more expensive than an individual policy for a healthy person pre-Obamacare. Also it tended to cover more things such as maternity care and prescription drugs.

The thing is, I had no need for the big advantages you mention but no one told me about the options. That's what ticked me off. After theee months on COBRA I figured it out and got what I needed. That's the main reason I posted. And like I said, me and Julius Caesar liked the co-pays.

It will vary depending on state, but I agree that you should look into Medicaid. You'd likely qualify in my state until your dh gets a job, unless he's getting an insane amount of unemployment. Your kids will almost certainly qualify at least, and you could then get coverage for just you two through the exchange and probably get a subsidy to help pay for it.

I would definitely look in to Medicaid. When my Dh was laid off last summer, I didn't look closely enough-I just assumed we wouldn't qualify. After about 6 months when dhs UE ran out I did look at it closely and realized qualifying for UE qualified us for Medicaid., I thnk. I was so upset with myself for not investigating sooner that I tried to just let it go.

But yes definitely check it out.

But that's not adverse selection, at all.

Adverse selection is when only the sick choose to buy insurance.  Most people who are working and have employer coverage are reasonably healthy.  But employers get a write off (that before the ACA was unlimited) for what they spend on health insurance for their employees, so it was cheaper for them than for the average citizen to provide excellent coverage.  

Because group coverage had to be offered to every member of the group. Individual policies could be refused. I was turned down by Kaiser because I was pregnant when we tried to get individual coverage in 2005. DH was turned down because he had a hospitalization the prior year. Group prices varied widely. Ours when DH worked at a small firm where the managing partner's spouse had a very expensive cancer battle skyrocketed after her first year of treatment. 

Good to see. I just signed up with them.

Is submitting shareable expenses pretty painless?

Yes, which was a big reason why I chose Liberty Healthshare over another company. I can submit my expenses from my phone. I take a picture of my detailed bill and receipt and submit online, all from my phone. Edited by Iron Jenny Flint