Menu

Budgeting software?

Night Elf

Do you use a budgeting program? I stopped tracking our spending, but when I did do it I did it by hand, not with a software program. I'd love to see where all my spending is happening, including my utilities. Can you recommend a budgeting software? The only one I know about is Mvelopes or something like that. I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up with a software program if it isn't user friendly so I'm wondering if I should go back to doing it all by hand.

• Like 1

I do not have a program I can suggest to you, but if you do that in a Spread Sheet or with a  budgeting program, it will be available, to be updated, modified, and you can track changes.  I suspect there are Apps like that for Smart phones. Probably many things you can use to do this on your computer.  

ETA: I would have a "learning curve", especially with a Spread Sheet, and there may be a little of that with the program that you try, but it will be worth it.

Edited by Lanny

We've just started using YNAB (You Need A Budget). I like it so far, but I'm still learning. They have helpful emails, blog posts, and videos you can watch. It's free for 34 days, then $50/year.

We chose to start using it because a number of friends/family members were singing its praises - lots of good reviews.

• Like 2

I use an ultra simple app on my phone called Pennies. It is very very basic, but it helps me to track my credit card spending. I set a budget,put in my expenses (and any money that comes in like refunds), and lets me know how much i have left and how much I can spend per day to keep on budget. Not the answer for someone who needs something complex like YNAB, but simple enough that I actually use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also use YNAB, and have for years. I switched over from Quicken, because while Quicken was great for seeing where the money went, it wasn't so great for actually budgeting, and seeing how much I had left. YNAB is really flexible in how you set up categories, and can be used in a Dave-Ramsey-money-envelop sort of way. You can download it to try for free for a bit, to see if you like it. (Also a tip: my FIL downloaded it, then took one of their free getting started seminars. At the end of the seminar was a coupon code, so they're worth checking out!)

• Like 1

I like YNAB as well - I have used it off and on for more than 10 years.

The new version is different than what I last used I watched several of their free webinars (you can ask questions too) and was so glad I did because they added features I never would have noticed if I hadn't seen the webinars.

I love it even more now especially for integrating with using a credit card -- I can budget for items I will buy on th card and it knows to allocate that budgeted amount to the payment.

Before this I tried the EveryDollar app by Dave Ramsey and didn't like it as much. It had poor integration with my bank and overall felt clunky and frustrating. YNAB allows me to connect and track balances on multiple accounts which work better for us.

I love calendarbudget.com. It's free. It's online, so I don't have to worry about a device crashing and losing my data. (That's happened too many times.) And it's in a calendar format, which I love! Only drawback is that it doesn't have an app. No biggie for me, since I do everything on my Chromebook anyway, and if I really need to access it on a mobile device, I can just pull it up on the web browser and go that way. 

I don't think I want something that links my bank account. I'm pretty leery of doing anything like that with my bank accounts. I don't mind entering individual amounts. I'm trying to look at some of these suggestions but it's so hard to tell what they really look like. I put in my email into Every Dollar to get some emails and a guide. I hope they don't send my email to a gazillion affiliates.