Menu

video based math programs....please help me make a list

I have a fairly solid Algebra 1 and 2 video based Math program. (Math Relief).  (at least I think it's solid...especially for non-math kids)

What I don't have is a pre-algebra or geometry program.  Math Relief does have a geometry, but I didn't care for it.  And there isn't a pre-algebra. 

Video form is best for my kids.

I know about Teaching Textbooks, Video text (although I know NOTHING about it yet). 

What other options might I have?

thanks.

Derek Owens is too expensive...as is Chalk Dust.  MUS has never worked for us, so that one is out. 

I have heard of Thinkwell, but dont' know much about it.  Just heard about Tabletclass...so I need to check that out further.

Have never heard of Math Without Borders or Ask Dr. Callahan.  

video options are not out, by any means...in fact, I actually prefer them...but online options are also ok.

thanks.

Looking at a couple other suggestions made...it appears that Math Without Borders doesn't have a pre-algebra...but rather uses Math mammoth grade 8...but that is not video or DVD.  

and, Ask Dr Callahan also doesn't have a pre-algebra, is that right?  He also spoke kind of quickly, so that might not be a fit anyway.

Mr D...is still nearly $200 a year...still out of my price range for 2 or 3 kids.  Does he have sales or multiple kid discounts? 

Looking at Thinkwell...but I didn't see a pre-algebra there either.  And does it have extra worksheets if needed?

I was really close to buying CTC, until I realized the upper level math wasn't to be used as a core. 

And I am getting so many mixed reviews from people (off and on this list) that TT is complete...or not complete...will prepare you kid for ACT or not...

yes, I know it really depends on the kid and his/her goals...but wow...this is a tough decision.

thanks for all of the suggestions...and if anybody can address the above, I would appreciate it.

Yes, it covers Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 & Algebra 2. It's not a standard Scope & Sequence, particularly for Alg 1 & Alg 2, but in general it's fair to say that Module A &B (Unit I & II) cover, very thoroughly, the Algebra components of a pre-Algebra class. Modules C & D cover Algebra 1 topics (with some Alg 2 topics) and Modules E & F cover Alg 2 topics (which are often introduced at the end of Alg 1).

Yes, it covers Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 & Algebra 2. It's not a standard Scope & Sequence, particularly for Alg 1 & Alg 2, but in general it's fair to say that Module A &B (Unit I & II) cover, very thoroughly, the Algebra components of a pre-Algebra class. Modules C & D cover Algebra 1 topics (with some Alg 2 topics) and Modules E & F cover Alg 2 topics (which are often introduced at the end of Alg 1).

Do you find it on the easier side or harder?

My daughter isn't the strongest in math and would love to know if this course is gentle and thoroughly taught.

I plan on using the video text geometry next year for my oldest. It looks great, by what I can see through the samples.

Video text....at first I thought it was expensive...but as i think about it...the algebra one covers 3 year of algebra, yes?  But is the $229 for the online version for a year...or for the duration of the course...which I would be 3 years...pre-algebra, algebra 1 and algebra 2.  Is that right?  Does anybody know what year this edition was published? 

thanks.

You can purchase a "generic" less expensive version of the Chalkdust videos. They were produced as a supplement to the textbooks and sold by the publisher directly.  They can be purchased on Amazon etc. Here are some links for the generic DVDs. In some cases, there is more than one version due to different editions of the textbook. Click here to find a more comprehensive list of possible DVD links.

Prealgebra DVD (using Aufmann text) 

Geometry DVD (Using Alexander text)

Precalculus DVD (Using Larson text)

Calculus DVD (Using Larson text).

A subset of the Chalkdust videos are also now available online for free as a supplement to Ron Larson's textbooks. (Click on instructional videos button from the links below). The exceptions would be pre-algebra and geometry which were developed for a different textbook author. 

Elementary Algebra

Intermediate Algebra

Elem. & Inter. Algebra

College Prep Algebra

Algebra & Trig

Trigonometry

Precalculus

Calculus

this is very interesting...however, the geometry set of DVD's is like $471....and the pre-algebra was only one disk.  Could that be the whole thing? 

the second set of links were also interesting for algebra...but I really need pre-algebra and geometry right now.

thanks.

Do you find it on the easier side or harder?

My daughter isn't the strongest in math and would love to know if this course is gentle and thoroughly taught.

I plan on using the video text geometry next year for my oldest. It looks great, by what I can see through the samples.

It is thorough. It's not hard, but that's not because it leaves things out or skims over things or doesn't include word problems, or other reasons like that that a program can be considered "easy" or "light." It's not hard because the lessons are presented in such a logical, step by step manner, with every single earlier step thoroughly mastered before new ones are introduced. So it feels like each next lesson builds logically on what has come before. An example: we are doing the lessons in Unit 7 on imaginary and complex numbers, and because we already thoroughly covered operations on polynomials, and then radicals, it truly just feels like the next thing - it doesn't seem complicated or confusing at all. This certainly wasn't my experience when I covered these topics in my own ,math classes in high school and college! Every single lesson has just felt like what comes next, logically, after the one before, and it is clearly explained so it's easy to understand. You stop and do the exercises and the quizzes to make sure you understand before you move on.

It's really quite wonderful, it's how I had always wished to have math explained to me. I can imagine that for a highly gifted math kid who just groks things intuitively it might be plodding, but for dd and me it has been just great. 

Video text....at first I thought it was expensive...but as i think about it...the algebra one covers 3 year of algebra, yes?  But is the $229 for the online version for a year...or for the duration of the course...which I would be 3 years...pre-algebra, algebra 1 and algebra 2.  Is that right?  Does anybody know what year this edition was published? 

thanks.

Yes, for 3 years of algebra the price is quite reasonable, especially when you think about what people are paying for online classes.  The online version of the course is $299 for three years of use, for two students. The three years is separate for each student, their three years starts when you activate it for that student.  So yeah, it breaks down to ~$100/class for three credits, $50/class if you end up using it with two students. It's actually quite a deal.

Now, I can't imagine it taking three years to do . . . but a very leisurely two years, or a somewhat expanded single year, depending on the pace you want to go, can get you through the whole thing.  We'll end up taking ~ 15-16 months (by the calendar, with a couple of months off last summer and breaks throughout the year) to go through the whole thing, though we did go through Module A quite quickly - watching all the video lessons, and then doing the quizzes and tests, I didn't make her do the exercises on what was so clearly review, so we were able to more or less double up on the first module or maybe even the first two.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 2

Mr D...is still nearly $200 a year...still out of my price range for 2 or 3 kids.  Does he have sales or multiple kid discounts? 

We use Mr. D. via a weekly co-op.   He does offer discounts for siblings as well as returning students, and is very quickly accessible via email.   His courses, regardless of whether you are taking them via in-person co-op, live online class, or asynchronous curriculum-only, come with live online help sessions 3x per week.   

We use Mr. D. via a weekly co-op. He does offer discounts for siblings as well as returning students, and is very quickly accessible via email. His courses, regardless of whether you are taking them via in-person co-op, live online class, or asynchronous curriculum-only, come with live online help sessions 3x per week.

3x a wk? That's nice.

Would you consider his style/method spiral, semi-spiral, or mastery? Or none of the above_mix?

Thx

this is very interesting...however, the geometry set of DVD's is like $471....and the pre-algebra was only one disk.  Could that be the whole thing? 

the second set of links were also interesting for algebra...but I really need pre-algebra and geometry right now.

thanks.

The "generic" Chalkust pre-algebra is a folder with 5 dvd's in it. The geometry must be fairly rare. There is a set of the actual Chalkdust geometry for sale here for under $100 and pre-algebra. Ebay and homeschoolclassifieds are a good source for used Chalkdust as well as the classifieds here at WTM.

Edited by 3andme

Tablet class by John Zimmerman can be used as a video only or/and you can also buy additional one on one class with him.

The way it can work is you buy the math class you want and you can add the 1 on 1.

Having tried many options this has worked best for us.My 1 kid is non mathy and 1 is and my kids love it.

http://tabletclass.com/

You can always contact John Zimmerman and talk to him before you decide to use his class.

He also runs a sale once or twice a year.This year sale should be coming up in a month or so.

The Thinkwell videos can also be purchased as DVDs on Amazon or ebay. These were issued as supplements to the Holt textbooks. I'm not sure if these are complete duplicates of all the Thinkwell vides but they definitely feature many of them.  

In addition, the Math Fuse online curriculum also incorporates the Burger videos (see Math on the Spot at the bottom). These are relatively affordable online textbooks.