Menu

Is there a way to instill a love of learning when you're 50?

Shelly in IL

Sometimes it just takes finding something you are passionate about.  It may just drop from the sky out of nowhere - or you may have to go looking for it.  

Maybe go through the Great Courses choices and see what topics may interest you.  They have them available at Audible now and I've listened to several interesting lectures.  Maybe something from them will be a springboard for you.

• Like 5

What do you find interesting? What subjects make you want to learn more? How do you enjoy learning? Reading a book or magazine? Watching a documentary? Or listening to audiobooks?

In the Well-Trained Mind, Jessie Wise states her children checked out library books from several categories:

• history
  • science
  • art or music appreciation
  • classic literature
  • practical or self-improvement
  • biography or autobiography
  • poetry

I've tried to follow those guidelines for myself though I don't read all of the books at once. 

I've found The Great Courses to be a good resource for learning something new. Many libraries have the DVDs or CDs. I have a monthly Audible subscription which I use to listen to the series.

Join a book club. Or come participate in the Book-A-Week thread here on the forum. I've enjoyed working through the Book-A-Week Bingo, which has forced me to explore subjects outside my usual interests.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

Sure, you can get (or regain) a love of learning.  I believe so, anyway.

When I get in a rut, and feel like my life is just one stupid mindless thing after another, I start to shut down and can't find anything interesting. If I get into a bit of mild depression, same thing. Then I have to make myself look for something outside my routine to interest me.  Sometimes i'ts hard to do.

Maybe that's not you, but if you feel restless - and I guess you must, or you wouldn't have posted your question - now is the time to get to the library, or browse Great Courses, or look for some adult education classes in your community....

A few months ago my local library announced a 6-week class studying short stories. It was free, and at a convenient time. The class was taught by a professor at the community college. What a great opportunity!  I dithered, though, and when I finally went to sign up, the class was full.   So when something seems good, don't delay!  

• Like 1

What do you find interesting? What subjects make you want to learn more? How do you enjoy learning? Reading a book or magazine? Watching a documentary? Or listening to audiobooks?

In the Well-Trained Mind, Jessie Wise states her children checked out library books from several categories:

• history
  • science
  • art or music appreciation
  • classic literature
  • practical or self-improvement
  • biography or autobiography
  • poetry

I've tried to follow those guidelines for myself though I don't read all of the books at once. 

I've found The Great Courses to be a good resource for learning something new. Many libraries have the DVDs or CDs. I have a monthly Audible subscription which I use to listen to the series.

Join a book club. Or come participate in the Book-A-Week thread here on the forum. I've enjoyed working through the Book-A-Week Bingo, which has forced me to explore subjects outside my usual interests.

Where is the math category?  :hat:

• Like 1

When I was done homeschooling  kind of felt the same way.  I started listening to podcasts- there is bound to be a podcast that will interest you. I especially like history and true crime- the true crime is interesting because I'm learning about the legal system and also about how other people live. 

At the same time, I started learning new skills. I've really ramped up my renovation skills and have learned to be confident using a drill, table saw, miter saw, etc.  I'm learning container gardening.  And the list goes on...

What I'm getting at is there is more to learning than just reading. 

• Like 3

Honestly, being around people energizes me. I feel that that person died with homeschooling. Like I've been living a shut in life only for my kids. Now that I only one kid home who basically is self-sufficient, I don't feel like I have anything going on personally. I love home improvement, but there's only so much of that I can do at once for $$ reasons. I also love automobiles. I would be best suited to something in sales, but at 50 I don't want tied down to a full time job.

I need to pursue something that gives a social person something to talk about. I'm currently a frustrated social person who sits back and lets everyone else talk, because I lack subject matter and confidence.

Honestly, being around people energizes me. I feel that that person died with homeschooling. Like I've been living a shut in life only for my kids. Now that I only one kid home who basically is self-sufficient, I don't feel like I have anything going on personally. I love home improvement, but there's only so much of that I can do at once for $$ reasons. I also love automobiles. I would be best suited to something in sales, but at 50 I don't want tied down to a full time job.

I need to pursue something that gives a social person something to talk about. I'm currently a frustrated social person who sits back and lets everyone else talk, because I lack subject matter and confidence.

Side note- But If you're good at sales, you could get a part time gig as a salesperson at some dealerships. I LOVE cars and I love negotiating for cars. The GM of a local dealer offered me a part time job when I was negotiating my parents car. He knew I was a SAHM and was dead serious with his offer to try and hire me. It wasn't the right time for me, but it's nice to know I could do it one day when the kids are gone (if all sales aren't online by then!) So if you want something like that, go for it! You never know unless you ask! I'm a total introvert except when it comes to cars and car sales. :)

Plus sales are nice because most people want to talk about themselves. It would give you time to come out and reinvigorate yourself! I say go to your local Cadillac dealership tomorrow and wander around. See if they're hiring. Negotiate a car and then don't buy it. Have fun! ;)

Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity?

Teach home improvement, maybe as part of a life skills class at a community center or homeschool co-op?

My high school home ec teacher was a wonder. In addition to the cooking and mending stuff, she taught us to measure for, buy, and hang drapes, wallpaper a room, repair a kitchen chair...all sorts of stuff.

It doesn't have to be learning something academic. It could be jumping into a new hobby like photography or art or gardening.

It's interesting that you said you like automobiles. I was just telling my dh two days ago that I wish cars were still simple like they were in the past. I'd love to learn how to restore an old car. Cars today are designed so that even getting to simple things like the spark plugs in a huge pain. But an old car with a nice open engine; it might be fun to learn how it works and fix it.

That wouldn't meet your social needs, though. Do you like any kind or art or crafting? There are groups that learn how to do those things that you could join--like at places like Michael's or A.C. Moore. See what Continuing Education classes there are at the local CC. Maybe something there will spark your interest, and you won't be home in front of the TV watching a Great Course--you'll be in a roomful of people.

Actually, as un-hair and make-upy as I am, I think it'd be fun to learn how to do some simple haircuts, like for my dh's hair. But I'm not sure you can go anywhere to learn how to do simple haircuts without having to do the whole beauty-school thing.

• Like 1

Browse through some of the TedTalks or solicit recommendations for podcasts. You may find all new interests by hearing about what others enjoy. If you want to gain more expertise, consider a magazine subscription about something that interests you. (I don't know any good auto mags, you're on your own finding those!)