Menu

Need ideas please for jobs to keep 14 yr old boy busy this summer!

HappyGrace

He's a really good kid-responsible and respectful and a great work ethic and extremely motivated to make money :)

He is at the age this year where he really NEEDS to keep busy all summer. He's too old to just "play outside" all day like previous summers-he would get bored. He is an over-thinker (in a bad way) if he's bored so I need to keep him busy. He suffered a concussion which he still has some minor effects from (he is cleared for most activities though), and he has some concussion-based depression and keeping busy helps a lot with that.

I specifically want to figure out some kind of job or jobs he can do. Volunteering is ok, and he does that, but is there anything a kid that age can do to make money? He isn't afraid of hard work and will do any job.

I have a few things he can do for work for me but we can't afford to pay him much. We also think it would be a great experience for him to work for other people.

I'd appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

What are his interests and hobbies?

14 might be legal to work, but it can be tough. This might be a good year, if he's having a hard time finding an employer willing to take him on, to actively work on skills or certifications for next year. For example, if he is a strong swimmer, can he take a lifeguard class? If he has a skilled hobby, can he intern somewhere? If he's on a team of some kind, can he work as a student coach?

• Like 1

I was just thinking the same thing.  Our local CSA has teens come and help out.  Also I know a kid who did volunteer grounds maintenance work at our church.  Our contractor had his young son come help when he was out of school  So maybe your son can fetch tools and help haul stuff for a contractor, if you know of someone.  

Same here. Lifeguard,aquatics instructor,CIT, sports ref,catering help,. The summer camps for art etc like to give lesson credits in return. After that its work with dad or an uncle, which is good as many can paint and lay brick on their own by the time they are able to drive.

Edited by Heigh Ho

My 15 year old is in a similar boat, but I have yet to find anything.  I saw a counselor in training program.  It does not pay much, but would keep a kid busy and probably lead to future summer jobs.  They paid $150 for the entire summer.

So he might pursue that if he can't find anything else.  I think he is hoping to make a bit more than that. 

Does he like outdoor work? Would he take over the landscaping work in your yard? Could he grow veggies to sell? My 9 yo son does okay at this and it hoping to sell more this year than he did last year. He could make 5 bucks a week (at  9 yo that's a big deal) and at age 14 I'd think he'll be able to do even more than that.

I think it would depend on where you live, his interests and motivation, and how much freedom you allow.

DD16 is an avid gamer. She started broadcasting at age 14. She now actually works for a company and makes money doing it. So, luckily, she managed to find employment in something she was interested in.

Around here, many independent and small companies hire teens for the summer. For example, my mechanic always hires a teen to help him at the shop. Our local theater also hires teens as interns so that all those nagging projects, like painting, can get done during off season.