Menu

Who is waiting for college acceptance decisions?

Janie Grace

We are, from four colleges (we have heard from one, her safety -- a yes). The suspense is killing me!!!!! Dd is quiet about it (and so am I, taking my cue from her) but I think the wait is responsible for the yo-yoing moods she has had recently. I am on pins and needles. Anyone else?

We should hear 3/20 from a couple and 4/1 from the other two. :toetap05:

• Like 1

we have one that requires two sets of applications.  the University itself is Feb 15 - but they defer to the individual college.   the next deadline for the application is june 1.  they want spring grades before they make any decisions - so, it's late june or into july before they let you know.   :glare:   most annoying.

but, ds would rather go to a different one from which he has already received his notice, paid his deposits, and received his award letter.   needless to say - it costs considerably more, and is about as far away as it could be.  but,  they have a good program in his degree.

DD18 heard from the 1 she applied to.  Just a state school about 15 minutes from our house.  Her counselor told her it was a given that she would get in with her grades/SAT/ACT scores, but it was still nice to get the letter of acceptance.  

She has a chronic illness and is really struggling right now.  She has gone to 7 days of school in the past 20. Last term, she missed 25 days of school. :0(  We hope she rebounds before fall, or else she may have to defer enrollment for a year.  If she is relatively stable, she may end up with all online classes to minimize the impact of missing so much. Or just one on campus, but specifically one with her friend/boyfriend so she can get notes/recorded lectures if needed. 

we have one that requires two sets of applications.  the University itself is Feb 15 - but they defer to the individual college.   the next deadline for the application is june 1.  they want spring grades before they make any decisions - so, it's late june or into july before they let you know.   :glare:   most annoying.

That's ridiculous. I'm glad he has an option that he loves and can commit to now.

DD18 heard from the 1 she applied to.  Just a state school about 15 minutes from our house.  Her counselor told her it was a given that she would get in with her grades/SAT/ACT scores, but it was still nice to get the letter of acceptance.  

She has a chronic illness and is really struggling right now.  She has gone to 7 days of school in the past 20. Last term, she missed 25 days of school. :0(  We hope she rebounds before fall, or else she may have to defer enrollment for a year.  If she is relatively stable, she may end up with all online classes to minimize the impact of missing so much. Or just one on campus, but specifically one with her friend/boyfriend so she can get notes/recorded lectures if needed. 

I'm so sorry. That sounds incredibly difficult to deal with! I'm glad there are options if she isn't well but I hope she is free of symptoms by then. Glad she has friends who can help if need be.

• Like 2

That's ridiculous. I'm glad he has an option that he loves and can commit to now.

it is ridiculous they take so long (the business school lets them know by may.) - I was talking with an admissions counselor - and they've tried to get through to them it makes a hardship for applying students.   and why the admissions counselors all recommend also applying for a degree that doesn't require a specific school to also admit you.  (e.g. physics is one application and you're done.) 

It's our local uni (a very good school.), so, in-state, and live at home - so . . (much) cheaper.  but he wants the other one . . .

All done for DD16. She has even already been assigned her roommate. Now, I just need to stop crying as this is my last one.

ps. Many people tried to warn me that my homemade transcript without any honors or dual enrollment classes would make it impossible for DD to get in college. Lol.

• Like 1

the other thing is, the deposts aren't so large they can't be written off as a loss if we do end up deciding to send him to the local uni. . . it would be cheaper, and way more conveniently located for us.  though for what he wants to do, the other one has a better location and access.

• Like 1

DD18 heard from the 1 she applied to. Just a state school about 15 minutes from our house. Her counselor told her it was a given that she would get in with her grades/SAT/ACT scores, but it was still nice to get the letter of acceptance.

She has a chronic illness and is really struggling right now. She has gone to 7 days of school in the past 20. Last term, she missed 25 days of school. :0( We hope she rebounds before fall, or else she may have to defer enrollment for a year. If she is relatively stable, she may end up with all online classes to minimize the impact of missing so much. Or just one on campus, but specifically one with her friend/boyfriend so she can get notes/recorded lectures if needed.

Talk to the disability office. In a couple schools I am familiar with, kids with certain disabilities can get the notes online; the school pays another student in the class to take them. So she may not need to be dependent on the friend. Might be wise to discuss that and other accommodations up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ugh, I'm sorry... I'm sure that feels far away... when is your deposit due? Ours are all May 1. That would be a fast turnaround with a late April notification!

June 1, but other schools she has been accepted to have acceptance dates of May 1, so it makes things a little tricky.  But, that's what happens when you apply to universities in different countries.

She's pretty sure she doesn't want to go to this one she is waiting on, due to it's size (too big for her liking), but it was her number 2/3 choice at one point.  She has already been accepted to her #1 choice, but she has not totally decided yet.  There is always that lingering bit of doubt...

Honorary Dd, our only applicant this year just heard from the last reach school, and she got in! But it is not a good fit so she has already accepted the offer from another school that is an excellent fit and gave her big scholarships.

Next year my last one applies. Due to the couch surfing kids who have come and gone, being helped through bad times and then launched into adult life, my own dear boy represents the last of a dozen college application seasons.

A dozen.

I am so ready to be done.

• Like 2

The waiting is hard, isn't it?  DD will know all school decisions by April 1st but a few of her scholarship interviews aren't until after April 1st so even then she won't have all of the puzzle pieces.  Most of dd's friends know where they are going and she still hasn't a clue and it is tough.  :grouphug:

Youngest is transferring from our local cc to a LAC an hour away that is strong in her major. She also applied to the gnormous State U. an hour away in a different direction, but with the State of Illinois budget woes, I made her apply to the LAC. At a visit to the LAC she met with the head of the department, who impressed us both (they had an in-depth conversation, and he was generous with career advice even if she picked another school). Like her older brother, she has the GPA to get the top merit awards, so it costs the same to us as the gnormous State U that is not able to give merit awards right now. In fact, dd was at the LAC today meeting with a counselor and selecting her fall courses already!

gnormous is not a typo. Any school the size of a small city is GNORMOUS.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2