Menu

I don't go with DD to academic advising, right?

goldberry

I did, but DD had just turned 12, and the college was a little reluctant to deal with her by themselves. 

Of course!   I, however, have a normal 12 yo-in-an-18yo-body!   ;)

Just kidding really.  She's only 12 about half the time and 18 the other half.

• Like 7

No, you don't go to advising with her.

But it might be a good idea to look over the degree requirements and proposed sample schedule with her before hand and draw up a plan suggestion. Look at any college credit she has that might transfer, look at the articulation agreements to find out what transfers as what, identify where these classes are in the schedule, and talk about what she wants to do with that: substitute other classes, take a lighter load, add a minor.

Also, remember that the four year plan is just a sketch, not set in stone. There may still be changes due to courses not offered/changed, her interests changing - so the important thing is to make the schedule for the coming semester, not for four years.

• Like 6

Yes, we have the sample plan from the school already.  She has about 19 college credits that will transfer but not sure on all of them what slots they will fill.  So she needs help adjusting the sample plan to account for her existing credits.

We are so grateful she has those credits!  She is doing biology with a secondary ed certification.  Those extra ed credits would make her have a very heavy load if she didn't already have some credits in the chute.  It's actually what gives her hope she can finish in four years without killing herself.

This will depend entirely on the school.

Both of my kids handled their first enrollment when they were DE students without a parent. But we were with both of them when they met with their advisor for the first time at their final University.

Ds's university sent freshman schedules, then when he went to summer orientation he met with advising to make changes. Dh was with him and there was never an opportunity to separate. Dh waited in line with him (as did the other parents) and then sat down with the advisor with him. His school highly encourages family involvement.

Dd was supposed to meet with advising to make a schedule at her summer orientation and they specified no parents allow. However, she had hip surgery less than a week before and was in a wheelchair which I was pushing. They let her go to scheduling early so we could leave after what they considered to be the most important parts of the day. I pushed dd to advising, then I sat in a chair by the door of the office while dd and the advisor sat at the computer on the advisor's desk. Dd had a plan and had written down what she wanted. The advisor pushed her to change her plan and dd looked at me for support. I did support her and she went ahead with her own plan (the advisor tried to put her in a class at a different time with teacher with horrible RMP ratings). It wasn't a big deal, but I'm guessing the advisor was sorry I was there. 

It may be that after the Financial Aid appointment, you are both taken into advising and it is no big deal. It may be that it is clear you are supposed to wait outside. Be prepared either way.

• Like 1

You can do what I did.  I worked with DD on her 4-year plan ahead of time so she didn't go into her advisor session with a blank slate. The plan did get tweaked a bit by the advisor, with DD's agreement.

This. Dd took in the plan we worked out together, and her advisor laughed and said it was perfect and she wouldn't change a thing. :D

• Like 3

Just feeling almost tearfully grateful for this board...  I did not go to college and this whole process would have been total chaos and overwhelming without all the advice I have received here.  Just being able to come here and ask a question from folks who have been there has helped so much through this process.

THANK YOU.  REALLY.

• Like 4

Yeah.  That's what I thought.  

This "letting go" is so hard....

Well, see you really don't "let go" all the way if you are a veteran home schooler and this is the last or only child.

Because you are used to spending your summers researching curricula and learning the material, you can sit down with their school requirements and their major requirements and plan their entire college course load. If your student is the Plan B - Z type of child, you will make multiple variable plans. 

When it is time to register for the first semester, you will sit on your plans because this is "his" deal - you are "letting go."  Then you go to make the first payment (before school starts) and it is way more than expected, because student was slow in registering and could only get two classes that he wanted. Everything else is wait listed. Wait lists are fine, but if you do not register for your full 15 hours, you will not get your scholarship or financial aid money.

You told him to register early because things are complicated by his AP credits, his standing, when he wants to go abroad, and when to apply to graduate school. He thinks you worry too much.  You help him fix his schedule. For revenge, you sign him up for Modern Art History. It's perfect to fill that last Arts Gen. Ed. credit and he hates Modern art. (It was also the only class open.) He will spend the semester sending you photos of blank canvases with texts that say, "Just shoot me."

You rewrite the plans.  You send him a detailed email with the second semester plans. He misses the memo on the importance of getting the first of two required research classes on the schedule.  This means he cannot go abroad next year. However, other than that, he does manage to get the perfect schedule even down to not having to get up too early or be in class too late.  The last two Gen Ed. classes are much better than what mom had on her plan.

No, I don't obsess much about education and I find "letting go" to be very easy.

The boy is coming home for spring break. I asked him if there was anything I could read aloud to him. "Oh yes, please."

I think reading Machiavelli's Discourse on Livy is payback for the Modern Art History class.

• Like 9

Depends on the school. Ds1 did his advising during the summer orientation. Only two students did not have mommy with them. I admired the other mom, she had put the kid on a bus and sent him solo, while I drove up and took younger son sightseeing.

I went. I just let my kids take the lead, and was mainly a listening ear, though I did ask a few questions my kids forgot or didn't think to ask. My kids wanted me there though too. I think there's a big difference between walking alongside someone in a way that simply helps them transition to adulthood, and being a helicopter parent. Frankly, I'm not afraid of being accused of the latter while I know I'm doing the former, though so far I've not been accused of that. If you want to go and your student wants you there, go. Let your student know he/she may have to say that (one of my friends went with her dd, and the adviser asked if it was okay to discuss certain details with mom there.) whatev. I think it's kind of ridiculous (the system is set up so that students can't claim independence financially but then have to act like they are in almost every way.) It's obvious the parent has to be involved, so sue me if I am sometimes! 

• Like 2