Menu

PSA to my fellow Florida boardies - Lyme Disease

Pink and Green Mom

We live in Clearwater, FL and my youngest has been diagnosed with Lyme disease (he presented with the typical bulls-eye rash).  He has not been out of the state in the past 18 months, so he didn't catch it elsewhere.   Our pediatrician confirmed that they are seeing cases in Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Pasco counties (as well as points north).  This is the first case our ped has seen first hand so I would expect that this is something a lot of local doctors are not familiar with.  Luckily my son has the telltale bulls-eye rash that can't be missed. 

Please check your kids for ticks after they have been outside.  We moved here in 2012 from a place where Lyme was rampant (this particular child and I have both had it before) but very few people in this area have heard of it.  So please if you live in these areas be on the lookout for signs and symptoms in your family.

• Like 6

Thank goodness your son got the rash or the doctors might have missed the Lyme even once he started getting symptoms.

Thanks for posting the info here because those of us who have had Lyme know how awful it is, and it's always a good reminder to watch for ticks no matter where you are. So many people -- including many doctors -- think Lyme is still only in the northeast.

• Like 5

It is so hard to spot those nasty little deer ticks. And if you see a tick on your child that you cannot get to detach, rubbing vaseline on it should help to either suffocate it or get it to detach. 

I'm grateful we haven't had Lyme in our family so far, even with as much camping and outdoor stuff as our kids have been into over the past 20 years. Yes, I've pulled deer ticks off of several of us, myself included. 

There are maps online for seeing the prevalence of Lyme Disease nationwide.

I hope your son doesn't get any sicker.

• Like 1

Hey, just a heads up, if you rub Vaseline or anything else on a tick - that can cause it to regurgitate while attached, which makes it more likely to transmit bacteria to you. So use caution with that approach - it will release but you will increase your likelihood of catching something. Ick.

We have "tick keys" and once, at a trailhead after getting into a nest of nymphs, a friend blew them off with canned air (carefully as that can be bad, too).

• Like 7

Hey, just a heads up, if you rub Vaseline or anything else on a tick - that can cause it to regurgitate while attached, which makes it more likely to transmit bacteria to you. So use caution with that approach - it will release but you will increase your likelihood of catching something. Ick.

We have "tick keys" and once, at a trailhead after getting into a nest of nymphs, a friend blew them off with canned air (carefully as that can be bad, too).

OH MY. I had no idea. That was something they used to suggest!

A friend's child had gone pony riding at a place that rented ponies for a half hour or something. The pony was covered in deer ticks apparently and her child got Lyme. Fortunately for them the bull's eye rash appeared while in the doctor's office for brief couple of minutes and was gone!

• Like 1

OH MY. I had no idea. That was something they used to suggest!

A friend's child had gone pony riding at a place that rented ponies for a half hour or something. The pony was covered in deer ticks apparently and her child got Lyme. Fortunately for them the bull's eye rash appeared while in the doctor's office for brief couple of minutes and was gone!

I remember they used to say to put nail polish on them, too! Eek!

So glad she had that quick rash, that was lucky.

• Like 2

I always worry that I missed the rash. I hate ticks. I carry a tick kit including a tick key and tiny plastic jewelry bags (think little bitty ziplock), a sharpie pen and cotton balls. The tick gets saved and put in a dated bag with a bit of moistened cotten, and is stuck in the freezer when we get home.

• Like 2

I always worry that I missed the rash. I hate ticks. I carry a tick kit including a tick key and tiny plastic jewelry bags (think little bitty ziplock), a sharpie pen and cotton balls. The tick gets saved and put in a dated bag with a bit of moistened cotten, and is stuck in the freezer when we get home.

We are Tick Twins!

• Like 2

We are Tick Twins!

Ah but the solemn difference is that your family has actually suffered from tickborne illness. I am still in the camp of highly paranoid, having had more than one close acquaintance walk that road.

Good health to you!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

Why? Why do you save your ticks? Future testing? The freezing doesn't do something to negate the virus/disease?

Also, I think we're not careful enough with the clothing that has been out in the wild, camping, hiking after undressing. Does hot water wash kill ticks? I don't know. I found a deer tick in my armpit once and it was smaller than any mole I've ever had. Grain of sand or smaller. 

• Like 1

I save the ticks because the way I've heard so many cases go down, there's a long period of undiagnosable issues with months or years of deteriorating health. If there's a chance I have the critter on hand and its testing reveals a specific disease, that can inform treatment.

I would not withhold treatment based on not having the actual tick or waiting on a test. I would not assume that a negative test of a tick means a person is truly negative. I would use a positive result as a factor in a treatment plan.

Saving the ticks also helps you learn to identify the different tick species, which can narrow down specific illnesses. And maybe in some way a tested tick that I donated could help build the general body of knowledge of tickborne illnesses.

I really just loathe the little suckers. I like to be out in wild areas and the thought that such little buggers can wreak havoc just makes me sort of angry. I feel better at least thinking I'm on the good side of a great battle. 😄

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 5

Why? Why do you save your ticks? Future testing? The freezing doesn't do something to negate the virus/disease?

Also, I think we're not careful enough with the clothing that has been out in the wild, camping, hiking after undressing. Does hot water wash kill ticks? I don't know. I found a deer tick in my armpit once and it was smaller than any mole I've ever had. Grain of sand or smaller.

Seasider covered my reasons for saving them. We have a freezer full. Also, becoming adept at identifying them is good. Like last summer DH had an attached adult male deer tick and our LLMD opted not to treat proactively as adult male deer ticks rarely transmit anything. But we saved, just in case.

When you come in - throw shoes, clothes, etc, in the dryer on high for 30 minutes. Washing on hot won't kill them necessarily but high dryer heat will.

Seasider, better to be paranoid than sick!

• Like 4

wow I had no clue ticks were in FL.

Sending good thoughts to your son.

My dh was disabled by Lyme disease back in 2000, and even at that time, Lyme was known to be in 49 of the 50 states. So, yes, sadly it's pretty much everywhere. 

P&G mom, I hope your son is okay! So glad you saw the rash and caught it early. DH went undiagnosed for years. I share a lot of our story in the devotional book I wrote. Thanks so much for your PSA, always a good reminder. 

• Like 1