Menu

Inexpensive sound dampening tips for big tiled kitchen? Help

Hilltopmom

Our new house has a huge tile, granite, & wood kitchen.

It is so loud in there. (Shrieking 2 year old doesn't help, of course)

Can't figure out how to attach a photo, sorry.

One large window does have fabric Roman shades, the rest of the room is blank wall, wood cabinets, tile floor.

I'm looking for easy to add & mostly cheaper things .

Things I've thought of already:

an indoor outdoor area rug at one end ( area away from food prep & table dirty messes)

padded anti fatigue floor mats by sink & my food prep area

drapery on the one large window

Roman fabric shade on small over sink window

Others-

Maybe hang fabric curtains on large open wall behind eating area? (Easy to take down to wash since they'll get dirty). But I'd like to avoid the "College kid tapestry on wall vibe" in this room- it's like my first grown up kitchen with high end granite & whatnot, lol.

Some sort of acoustic decorative tile on ceiling over dining table?? I can't find cheap for this anywhere online.

The ones sold for recording studios all seem to be super pricey or ugly.

** I've seen online felt made for walls for soundproofing & padded canvas paintings used in restaurant sound dampening, but that kind of stuff is out of our price range.

Sweden seems to have all sorts of this stuff sold commercially, but again, pricey.

Looking to only spend a couple hundred bucks right now.

Any other tips? Or ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Hilltopmom

I saw a tutorial for making acoustic panels recently.  It involved about 6 layers of old towels mounted to a wooden frame.  You could google this, then put a really nice fabric on the outer layer and hang this in a group of two or three as a decoration.  The guy used towels from goodwill and tested it against expensive acoustic foam and the towel version performed better.  

• Like 1

I saw a tutorial for making acoustic panels recently. It involved about 6 layers of old towels mounted to a wooden frame. You could google this, then put a really nice fabric on the outer layer and hang this in a group of two or three as a decoration. The guy used towels from goodwill and tested it against expensive acoustic foam and the towel version performed better.

Oh, brilliant! Off to google

• Like 1

My son is a Recording Arts major at Full Sail University.  In class, his instructor advised them not to spend a fortune on acoustical foam.  Instead, he recommended these rigid fiberglass boards.  They're less expensive than acoustic foam, and they do the same job.  They're ugly, but you just cover the boards in fabric to match your decor, and mount them on the wall, or in the corners of the room.  You could easily use it to cover an entire wall, and it will look neat and tailored, not at all like a sound studio (if you pick the right fabric to cover it with).  Or you can place it strategically around the room to get the amount of dampening you need.  

https://www.amazon.com/Owens-Corning-703-Fiberglass-Boards/dp/B005V3L834

ETA: I just noticed the shipping price on this particular listing.  You may need to shop around to find it in a smaller quantity, with reasonable shipping price.  Or maybe you could find it local, if you live in a large city.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ